over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

1st meet coming up, Nasa Raw Dec. 5th. Need some pointers

w8tlifterty

Registered
Okay, I know I wont be a hit here saying this but I used to compete in npc bodybuilding. Switching over to pl b/c i just like lifting heavy and making progression... I have no lifters that I'm aware of in my area so came here to get some answers. I will be competing in the Missouri regionals on dec. 5 (Nasa/raw). Currently 207 at 5'8, under 10% bf. First question, should I try and make 198 and lose a bit of strength possibly or just go to 220's? My current numbers....
BP 365 x 1 slight pause
Squats 495 x 1 (don't know about depth tho) with wraps
Dead 555 x 1 (good form, my strongest lift)
Where should I open up at on all 3 lifts and are these respectable numbers in the 198's and 220's??? Any good intstructional sites for depth and technique. I have watched alot of Dave Tate's stuff and try to implement it but again, no pl to work with so....
Anything else you guys can comment on for a guys first meet plz share. Thanks everyone...

Congratulations on deciding to do your first meet.
-Your opener should be easy and get you in the meet. Shoot for a small pr on the second and a bigger one on the third. Your numbers may be lower due to judging and commands so be conservative. DONT OPEN TOO HEAVY!!
-Make sure you are familiar with the rules of the Fed. Get someone to give you the squat and press commands your last couple of training sessions.

Openers
Squat 425
Bench 315
Dead 500
Dont worry about what other people are opening with are doing. Just have fun and try to walk away with PRs.

Last edited:
Good luck! It sounds like you have a good base to start with. You are definitely strong!

Rule of thumb, always open up with something that you can do 3 reps with.

If this is your first meet, just go in and have fun d/w about weight classes.
Pick a weight for your openers you can get for 3x, or you can get on the worst gym day of your life. Remember, they're just openers, so you won't bomb out. You have two other chances!
As for depth, just record yourself and post it. That's the best you can probably do.
GL!

like the other guys said, open light or with something you can get 3x, then jump to a bigger weight on your 2nd and 3rd attempt. and you might want to get on powerliftingwatch.com and make sure you can use knee wraps in the RAW divesion, i know a lot of federations are switching to no knee wraps for RAW lifting, all you can have is a belt and a specific kind of knee sleeve, no wraps. as far as weight class, don't worry about cutting weight since it's your first meet.
what do you have planned for lifting for these last 3 weeks?

As far as lifting goes, no idea. Just keep going real heavy. I feel a bit burnt out to be honest but I have been pushing and pulling heavy for sometime now. If someone could outline something for me of what I should be doing coming into the show i'd appreciate it. I was doing the 5/3/1 up until about 4 weeks ago and then just went to training by feel. Usually a heavy and lite day for each lift every week. Maybe take the week off before the show? On a side note, my bench is horrible, both technique and wgt wise... in-fact the last cpl weeks my poundage has gone down. I can't seem to get any arch and when I tuck my elbows in I seem to push less, bb style (elbows more out to the side, I am much stronger) I think my tris are weak compared to my chest? Anyway, bench is giving me problems but I'm shooting for a 1400 total, I know very lofty for first meet but I can hit those numbers in the gym... (600 dead, 450-500 squat, 365 bench) Although, wasnt even hitting 365 today, failed on my set... pissed off typing all this,,, things were so much easier when on AAS! I am meticoulous with my diet as well, maybe not enough carbs??? Any pointers would be great guys...

I am weighing 208 or so at 5'8 under 10%percent bf... should I just shoot for the 220's and really get some cals in over the next couple weeks? I have been doing currently....
Meal 1 12 egg whites, 2 whole eggs (cage free)
Apple, coconut oil
Meal 2 10oz beef in 1 tbspn gf butter or olive oil
Apple or other fruit
Meal 3
Same as 1
Meal 4
10 oz salmon, 2 heads broccoli with 1 1/2 tbspn gf butter or olive oil, 1/2 fruit
I have 4 oz beef liver between meals, for a total of 12oz on the day. Also, 1 milk protein isolate shake (40 g pro) mixed with one raw egg before bed. I include quite a bit of saturated fats... it helps keep my test levels elevated. Normally they are pathetically low!
P.S. 2 meter wraps are legal in nasa per the rule book. Checked on it yesterday

as far as training for the last few weeks, this should be your last heavy week. next week cut your volume in half, drop your speed work back to 40-45% w/ light bands, and on your heavy days work in a 3-5 rep range with an easy weight; this is supposed be a week to allow recovery. the week of the meet i like to lift monday and tuesday doing light speed work and minimal asistance and abb work, you want to allow your body to recover but also get some speed back in your lifts.
this is the method thats worked for me so far. some people like not lifting at all on meet week, and some people like hitting their openers 2 weeks out, i've tried that and felt weak going into those meets.

Thanks alot man, will do... I really appreciate the help.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws