over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

30 second rest between sets with high volume for Mass

absolutely!
warmup with heavy weights and lower reps tho.
then reverse pyramid. u can do the above or strip a bit more and do 8-10-12 or whatever range u prefer. i do it and its great.
but, why do u think volume is key? intensity is key.
strength gets u size. actually progressive overload does. and with reverse style u may find weights are going up every week like they are for me.
check it out. **broken link removed**

Strenth is a big part of hypertrophy.. But rep range matters little as long as intensity is there and progressive overload is followed.. Preserve your joints.. There are numerous studies that show protein synthesis is identical from going to failure at 15 reps or 8 reps.. It matters little as long as intensity is there.. And yes one should always try and increase weight when possible regardless of rep range.. There is no powerlifter that comes to mind that can outmuscle Ramy.. Is Ramy strong ? Yes.. But there are many smaller men who can out lift Ramy.. So strength is not 100 percent directly related to suze.. Leverage comes into play.. But yes progressive resistance shoukd be used most of the time

If you only wait 30 seconds, your strength will be far less than if you waited several minutes. That’s exactly what you don’t want when trying to build new muscle.

Bad idea. 5 minutes rest between sets is better than 2 minutes rest for hypertrophy according to science. What you are doing is better for cutting.

If it makes anyone feel better Ronnie Coleman rested long periods of time in between sets.

You guys should research Dr Jacob Wilson he has a lot of good info on training. I think it's good to cycle training.

I will say this I've put on most my size by resting longer in between sets with heavier weight for 2-3 working sets to absolute failure

I feel 5 minutes is a little too much. I'd worry about getting injured...

Between 2 and 3 feels right for strength and hypertrophy. 1 or less for cutting...

Rest of 5 minutes for 1-3 rep on power training.
Rest of 2-3 minutes for hypertrophy with free weights.
Rest of 1-2 minutes for hypertrophy in machines and cables.

Rest as long as you need to in order to get the reps with a certain weight. 2 if you need...5 if you need.

If you're going the "30s rest" route, or dropset route, etc, then you're more into metabolite training, which has its place, but shouldn't be the bread-and-butter of most training.

and as far as this "intensity vs volume", seems most modern studies are pointing to volume being the driver of hypertrophy. More size probably --> more strength, but more strength does not necessarily --> more size.

Some of the biggest guys I know rest long periods of find 5 minutes or even longer in between sets.

I would rather rest a little longer to get a better set than get a half ass set because my muscle is still very fatigued

Or do a 1 all out set rest pause with 15-20 deep breaths in between rest pause, and you don't need to worry about timing rest between sets.

I've never understood how people take 30 seconds rest unless they are warning up.

Whether I'm going low rep or high rep I'm going all out. If I'm benching for sets of 3-5 of 405 I'll take 3-5 minute rests or I won't be able to maintain the weight. If I'm going light and doing 12+ with something like 315 I'm next to failure each set. So I need a minute to 90 seconds to do it again. If I took 30 seconds I'd go from 15 reps to 8 to 5 within 3 sets...

I would never do 225 for 12 reps when I could really do 25+ just to take shorter rests.

This may just be my body though.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

If your training to failure you will need to take longer rest periods.. it's pretty simple. Go when you feel your ready. If you take 405 to failure for 6 reps And the next set you get 3.. you didn't rest long enough. You didn't recover.. Charles Pouliquin said if you lose more than 10 per cent drop in weight it's time to move on..

I always say there's more than one way to skin a cat. I like to program different phases into my training blocks. For a few weeks I may opt for heavier weights, working in a higher percentage of my 1RM with longer rest periods and less overall volume. Then the next phase may be shorter rest periods with less of a percentage and higher overall volume. Regardless, I like to keep my core compounds relatively heavy, especially at the beginning of my training sessions while I'm still fresh.

Agreed. Im in same boat with you.

30 seconds rest will not give the muscle fiber as much time to regroup for a set as 3-5 minutes will so it will not be able to contract with as much force.

I would advocate something like this...

warm up set....
30 sec....
warm up set....
2 mins....
heavy set....
30 sec....
drop set....or rest pause to failure....
3 to 5 mins before next exercise....

basically what you are wanting to do....but just give yourself
a longer rest before your heavy set.....(if the movement involves
a heavy set......because it doesn't have to)....

I've never understood how people take 30 seconds rest unless they are warning up.

Whether I'm going low rep or high rep I'm going all out. If I'm benching for sets of 3-5 of 405 I'll take 3-5 minute rests or I won't be able to maintain the weight. If I'm going light and doing 12+ with something like 315 I'm next to failure each set. So I need a minute to 90 seconds to do it again. If I took 30 seconds I'd go from 15 reps to 8 to 5 within 3 sets...

I would never do 225 for 12 reps when I could really do 25+ just to take shorter rests.

This may just be my body though.

well when doing 30sec rests.....you are pretty much throwing poundages
and rep schemes out the window....

so TECHNICALLY you are right....

but with 30sec rests or less....its just to failure, with whatever weight
you are using....could be 315....could be 185.....

with 30sec rests I also don't feel "PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD" is needed
or is relevant....

I have gotten thicker then last year doing Tenny's routine with less AAS. I actually backed it down more. I am making gains with TRT dose doing RP sets, drop sets, super sets and 4 to 5 sets resting 20 to 30 sec in between. My routine is also changed every 3 months. Of course you have to put some effort into it.

well when doing 30sec rests.....you are pretty much throwing poundages
and rep schemes out the window....

so TECHNICALLY you are right....

but with 30sec rests or less....its just to failure, with whatever weight
you are using....could be 315....could be 185.....

with 30sec rests I also don't feel "PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD" is needed
or is relevant....
The thing is I don't believe doing lower weight and lower reps quicker will build more muscle then higher weight and more reps once twice as much time

The thing is I don't believe doing lower weight and lower reps quicker will build more muscle then higher weight and more reps once twice as much time

lol....what???

whatever you believe is what you believe....that's cool....

but what I'm saying is.....rep schemes and poundages are pretty
irrelevant when doing rest pause, drop sets.....30sec rests...

because that window of knowing...."OK, I know I can bench X amount
of weight for X amount of reps....so maybe i'll try for 1 or 2 more reps
this week" has gone out the window....the minimal rest approach is too
unpredictable to put numbers and values on the sets and reps....

muscle is built ALL KIND OF WAYS....

:cool:

I think we can all agree that intensity and overall work ethic are the two most important factors. Obviously a myriad of factors go along with progress such as: progressive overload, proper recovery, rep execution, program design, frequency, rest periods, etc. BUT, you can hit all those perfectly and without proper intensity and overall drive (desire, work ethic, call it what you will), without THESE two, progress will be less than desirable.

lol....what???

whatever you believe is what you believe....that's cool....

but what I'm saying is.....rep schemes and poundages are pretty
irrelevant when doing rest pause, drop sets.....30sec rests...

because that window of knowing...."OK, I know I can bench X amount
of weight for X amount of reps....so maybe i'll try for 1 or 2 more reps
this week" has gone out the window....the minimal rest approach is too
unpredictable to put numbers and values on the sets and reps....

muscle is built ALL KIND OF WAYS....

:cool:
Yes muscle is built all sorts of ways but some are more efficient than others.

Yes muscle is built all sorts of ways but some are more efficient than others.

second most debated subject behind....."I know exactly what
the pros take".....:cool:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws