over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

4 Bulging discs....career ender?

abadseal

Registered
Yep that's right 4 of them. Happened last Wednesday during my lunch break workout. Had one foot out the door, keys in hand but though hell, I still have enough "in the tank" for one more burnout set of stiff-leg deads. Bad idea obviously. Grabbed the 115's and on the first rep right at the transition to concentric SNAP!!! Audible from 5 feet away I shit you not. Immediately paralyzed, collapsed to the floor like a wet noodle and waited in agony for the EMT's to arrive.

After 2 nights in the hospital because pain was too intense for anything that I could self administer if sent home and MRI scans revealing a multi-level herniation at L2-L3, L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1 along with some other degeneration present I am left wondering what my chances of ever training even close to what I was previously doing.
I am 25, young and resilient but I know that an injury of this type and magnitude could very well shut the doors on any hopes of continuing any sort of training/bodybuilding/powerlifting routine ever again in my life.

Anyone ever experience multiple disc herniation and have successful outcomes returning to previous levels or even surpassing their former training poundages and intensities? The more I hit the forums and boards for answers the more my fears are confirmed that I will never again be the same and be in for a life filled with chronic pain, lots of medications, and possibly numerous surgeries. I meet with the spine/neurosurgeon tomorrow who thankfully I have worked with several times so hopefully he doesn't beat around the bush but in all honesty I am scared. I know there is so much more to life than lifting weights and I am a man of many hobbies and interests but I will be the first to admit that my life revolves around training, the gym, fitness and physical activity in general.

Any advice, opinions or experiences are very greatly appreciated. Thanks

hey bro, best of luck i hope things workout. i personally have no experience with this type of injury but it is my belief that with hard work and modified training you can come back from it. i have a bad shoulder injury and ive had to modify my training quite a bit but im getting better results than with the low volume/heavy stuff. im sure alot of guys here will chime in with good advice i know i see lots of threads about disk injuries on the forums. best of luck...god i hate injuries.

People I have talked to including docs, always says back injuries are 50/50. Half will get better and the other half will get worse no matter what you do.
I would leave heavy deadlifting and squats alone even if you get better. Why risk your life for heavy weights?

The key to your recovery is going to be flexibility! You're still young and shouldn't have as hard a time as someone like me.LOL. Begin using an inversion table (buy one!). It will probably be painful at first but as the spine stretches out, the pain will subside. Stretch religiously...I can't emphasize this enough!! Take a yoga class and stick with it. Stay hydrated. USE AS LITTLE PAIN MEDICATION AS POSSIBLE!!! One thing I've learned over my 24 years of back problems (including surgery), is if you try to kill the pain, you will wind up a junkie...I guarantee you. Break things in half or in quarters and use just enough to take the edge off. Good Luck!!! Let me know if you have any questions.:)

backs are a tough injury. I hurt mine in High School and whenever I go really heavy in squats or deads, it tends to ache in that spot I hurt it. best of luck to you bro.

Thank you all so very much for your input. Consider the inversion table bought!

I'm 21 and did something similar at age 19. It's been a two year down hill battle. Multiple disc fissures, bulges and pinching of nerves; sciatica, down both legs.

I've had chiropractor visits, muscle therapy, three sets of injections into my back to decrease the swelling of the nerves and decrease the pinching, they hurt like a bitch, and next up is some electrotherapy along with another surgery consult.

They want to perform a spinal fusion and it's about a 3 month recovery process. Ever since the injury I've never been able to lift the same, I completely leave out squats and deads due to the pain and risk of further damaging my back.

Although it was a curved leg press machine that caused my injury, I still use the regular 90 degree support leg press without issue. It wasn't even heavy weight, was on my second warm up, 4 plates each side, 4th rep and pushing it back up, felt a pop and my back gave, sharp pain and almost dropped the weight back down.

Get it checked out and take whatever measures you can to correct it, surgery is my next route and like someone before me said, it's 50/50 chance of fixing it or making it worse.

I slipped a disk really badly when I was 20. Nasty bulge.
Doc told me to keep working out, just take it easy. Told me my back muscle were so thick they were helping to re-align my disk.
After a few months the sciatica went away and things sorted them self out.
Never gave me a problem since.

That was 20+ years ago.

I slipped a disk really badly when I was 20. Nasty bulge.
Doc told me to keep working out, just take it easy. Told me my back muscle were so thick they were helping to re-align my disk.
After a few months the sciatica went away and things sorted them self out.
Never gave me a problem since.

That was 20+ years ago.

One of the lucky few

Career ender, no, but you will have challenges forever.

I have two bulging disks from high school, I still lift heavy, but am so controlled and careful. building supporting structure is key to not irritating nerves so you will NEED to keep lifting.

Man, hate to hear this. Sometimes our drive and enthusiasm is our enemy in cases like this. I have been there too.

Lumbar disc injuries and recovery are unpredictable. EricCraven said 50/50 and he is right. You are young. That's a big plus on your side. Will it effect your lifts? Yes. You have a multi-level injury. Work on flexibility, like Bio said . Try to find a excellent PT person that can show you how to lift with proper spine alignment and keep as much stress off those discs as possible. You want to keep the back muscles strong for spine support. There are ways to do that. Certain lifts will be off the table. You don't want things to progress to where you start getting nerve root damage from the disc herniation pressure.

Good luck and find a way to work around this and keep lifting. You will get better, but approach your recovery with intelligence and care.

NO WAY is this the end. I know of several people with multi-level spinal fusions still doing bodybuilding/fitness. I suggest you go to several surgeons (go to an orthopedist as well, they are better at it) and do what they tell you to do.

You can easily go back to training all out once it's fixed. Ofcourse do not do deadlifts, squats, bent over barbell rows, goodmornings anymore. If you want longevity in this thing I would advise anyone to never do (heavy) squats or deadlifts. You can say all you want but it's almost always one of these two exercises that fuck people up. They are not worth the risk if hypertrophy is your goal, period. Heavy spinal compression is not the key to a lifelong of intense training.

Don't give up, you can do this!

Yep that's right 4 of them. Happened last Wednesday during my lunch break workout. Had one foot out the door, keys in hand but though hell, I still have enough "in the tank" for one more burnout set of stiff-leg deads. Bad idea obviously. Grabbed the 115's and on the first rep right at the transition to concentric SNAP!!! Audible from 5 feet away I shit you not. Immediately paralyzed, collapsed to the floor like a wet noodle and waited in agony for the EMT's to arrive.

After 2 nights in the hospital because pain was too intense for anything that I could self administer if sent home and MRI scans revealing a multi-level herniation at L2-L3, L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1 along with some other degeneration present I am left wondering what my chances of ever training even close to what I was previously doing.
I am 25, young and resilient but I know that an injury of this type and magnitude could very well shut the doors on any hopes of continuing any sort of training/bodybuilding/powerlifting routine ever again in my life.

Anyone ever experience multiple disc herniation and have successful outcomes returning to previous levels or even surpassing their former training poundages and intensities? The more I hit the forums and boards for answers the more my fears are confirmed that I will never again be the same and be in for a life filled with chronic pain, lots of medications, and possibly numerous surgeries. I meet with the spine/neurosurgeon tomorrow who thankfully I have worked with several times so hopefully he doesn't beat around the bush but in all honesty I am scared. I know there is so much more to life than lifting weights and I am a man of many hobbies and interests but I will be the first to admit that my life revolves around training, the gym, fitness and physical activity in general.

Any advice, opinions or experiences are very greatly appreciated. Thanks

hey man I have two herniations in my lower back and one in the neck.

they don't really bother me too much. I can still do squats with 400 lbs for reps, but rarely go much heavier because I don't want to risk it. I always wear a belt now and that helps also.

best things I think are keeping your abs very very strong. lots of rope crunches. also hang from a pull up bar or something to kinda decompress your spine after each workout. I see a chiro once in a while and it helps.

yoga is great but I didn't have the time to commit to it. or maybe I'm just lazy.

hope this helps you out

some good advise here...

my thoughts.....just remember structurally you are compromised now so ....always keep that in mind...WHEN you recover just always have that in the back of your mind and use that to keep you doing the things that will help you recover this time...the stretching and yoga I think is an excellent idea....

don't fucking take any pain meds....
do everything humanly possible not to have surgery

good luck man I wish you the best.

Abadseal- Just curious, did you happen to round your lower back at the bottom of the RDL when the injury occurred?

Disc surgery's.

My experiance is 3 disc fussed. Levels 4-5 5-6 and 6-7...After the initial recovery with the neck brace and the fussed disc with plate. Im still working out with minor issues..Have good and bad days..I guess it comes down to your injury and yourself..Good luck.but trust me its not over..: ) Semper Fi.
But yes the heavy lifting is over,I used to bench 505lbs...But to be honest,Ive gotten smarter and my form is 100%. Im always thinking about what im doing..But i also realized im not getting paid to lift and i dont need to bench 500lbs..I just want to stay in shape,feel good about myself and do things with friends and family...I know your scared,and yes see the best doctors,and more than one to get the best advice that will make you comfortable..I went thru physicial theropy for 1 1/2 years before i got my 1st of 3 surgerys..So i obviuosly did'nt have a butcher for a surgeon,we tryed everything before i had the surgerys..Im no longer on floor crying like a baby..i have a normal life...Like i said,good aand bad days,but mostly good..My body now tells me when to take a day off,or not so heavy lifting this day...I adjusted...As you will...Semper Fi.

Last edited:
My experiance is 3 disc fussed. Levels 4-5 5-6 and 6-7...After the initial recovery with the neck brace and the fussed disc with plate. Im still working out with minor issues..Have good and bad days..I guess it comes down to your injury and yourself..Good luck.but trust me its not over..: ) Semper Fi.
But yes the heavy lifting is over,I used to bench 505lbs...But to be honest,Ive gotten smarter and my form is 100%. Im always thinking about what im doing..But i also realized im not getting paid to lift and i dont need to bench 500lbs..I just want to stay in shape,feel good about myself and do things with friends and family...I know your scared,and yes see the best doctors,and more than one to get the best advice that will make you comfortable..I went thru physicial theropy for 1 1/2 years before i got my 1st of 3 surgerys..So i obviuosly did'nt have a butcher for a surgeon,we tryed everything before i had the surgerys..Im no longer on floor crying like a baby..i have a normal life...Like i said,good aand bad days,but mostly good..My body now tells me when to take a day off,or not so heavy lifting this day...I adjusted...As you will...Semper Fi.

Whitewolve- How did you hurt yourself?

If you've been training heavy for quite awhile the chances are the discs have been bulging and asymptomatic for some time. Alot of atheltes/ hard trainers will actually have some form of disc degradation which will show up on MRI but cause no noticable loss of function.

The key to coming back to training from is to maintain lordosis, lower back arch, this is the most important thing to do and avoid spinal flexion, ie crunches etc. Read up on the works of Gary Gray and Gary Cook.

Good luck

Hurt while worrking.

I used to work for a trucking company,awsome job. I was working in an old building that was'nt updated,I worked on the docks loading and unloading trucks,While pulling up on a dock plate,both springs broke and it snapped my neck,took 2 seconds..Freak accident to say the least..But as i said,after 1 1/2 years of physicial theropy and many injections...Thee pain had me on my hands and knees crying,yes crying..So i had my 1st surgery,which i totally respected my Doctor for doing one fussion. But we had to take care of the other 2..I dont cry any more and i have good and bad days..But i still train and do what i like to do.Im just more carefull when it comes to lifting..I live a normal life to be honest..I know your scared,but science has evoled so much..You will be ok in time..But yyou will think more while your trainning,which is a positive anyways..Good luck with recovery if you go in that direction..But like i said,you will be back trainning in no time. : ) Semper Fi.

Wow, thank you all so much for opening up and sharing your personal experiences and advice/ ideas. I saw the spine surgeon yesterday and as many of you said she recommended a rigorous PT/ rehab program for at least 6 months before even considering performing surgery. Thanks again everyone!

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member