over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

400 pound benchers

I did Hit 425 last March....Then Tore my Pec!!!!
Should not Fight Genetics...lol
Age*

Your Kryptonian ass forgets that sometimes. Genetics aren't your problem. [emoji846]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

What are everyone's thoughts on his comments about locking out?

It's been ages since i've actually "locked out" on most pressing movements as I try to keep constant tension... Maybe I've been doing a huge disservice to my triceps huh?

It's been ages since i've actually "locked out" on most pressing movements as I try to keep constant tension... Maybe I've been doing a huge disservice to my triceps huh?

I don't lockout either. Figure that if I'm training chest...that's where my emphasis will be. And I hit my triceps in enough other exercises.

two different meanings maybe..
in pl terms to get weight to top n hold to complete the lift

in bb terms. something you do not want to do as it takes tension off the muscle and puts strain on joints.

i think though even for pl for the most part if done right the lock out doesnt actually "lock out" your elbow, just sort of spread the tension. here again if just trying to move the weight up n down the general movement is gona be a bit different then if for "bb" or really any other reason as we want to focus on just that muscle, not so much moving weight from point a to point b.

if you watch a big bencher they use trys n back too, essentially a full body lift.

training chest and training for a "lift" are two different things:lightbulb:

Check out some of this guys stuff. He gives breakdowns of all the major lifts and how to properly setup and train for them. I have been watching his stuff for awhile now. Great guy.

Brian Alsruhe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8Rt7E2JVz4fPmC8AhjDoaA

Brian puts out some quality content. Have you ever read his training logs? Pretty unique style of training. Had some crazy amount of injuries too.

That video is purely for powerlifting (although the set up will be more joint/shoulder friendly for most). Full lock out for chest, it's not going to do your elbow joints any favours in the long run IMO and highly doubt it would really make much muscular difference.

Brian puts out some quality content. Have you ever read his training logs? Pretty unique style of training. Had some crazy amount of injuries too.

Yeah...I have been following him for awhile now. Dude apparently had a pretty serious "past life" that has been alluded to over the years...but you won't hear him comment on it.

Yeah...I have been following him for awhile now. Dude apparently had a pretty serious "past life" that has been alluded to over the years...but you won't hear him comment on it.

The ex-military stuff? I know he did quite a bit of MMA. He defo has the right mentality for elite Military. I think it was counter terrorism? Could be getting mixed up though.

I'm glad he has picked up a lot of subscribers in the last year, I followed him when he had a few thousand and it was a real shame. He was losing money with the time editing etc the videos (he mentioned it in his log).

His conditioning workouts remind me of crossfit with the stupid stuff taken out and the brutality increased.

Think I have mentioned before, had a 55 year old neighbor that ha never used any steroids bench 405 easy one day. I don't know how much he did when he was younger, but id bet it was more. He didn't even train hard. Some are just lucky that way.

I think a lot of strength comes more from Ligaments than muscle..
Seen A guy once poppin 315 x reps easy. His arms were like my wrist!
He was from a different ethnic background, real dark in color.

The ex-military stuff? I know he did quite a bit of MMA. He defo has the right mentality for elite Military. I think it was counter terrorism? Could be getting mixed up though.

I'm glad he has picked up a lot of subscribers in the last year, I followed him when he had a few thousand and it was a real shame. He was losing money with the time editing etc the videos (he mentioned it in his log).

His conditioning workouts remind me of crossfit with the stupid stuff taken out and the brutality increased.

Yeah...counter terrorism. I also heard he was pretty effective at what he did.

Yeah...I was in near the start when I started doing Wendlers program and hybrids of it. I'm glad his following is increasing as he puts 110% into anything he does.

All of his videos helped me...especially deadlift and overhead press.

Neversate!!!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I'm up to 365 for doubles on 180mg of test a week. It's all about progression. The big three are as much about technique as they are strength. Make sure you refine your craft. Work on the movement pattern. As others have mentioned, the more frequently you can build pressing into your programming while still recovering fully the better.

You have quite a narrow grip, watch the video below from 1.30 in and it explains elbow tuck and stacking your wrist elbow etc. Also, you may as well watch the whole thing, but Brandon Lilly reckons the most important muscles for bench are (in order) - Triceps, Lats, Shoulders, Pecs...

https://youtu.be/D7OwML29Cls

If you stick with that grip, you would benefit from bands, chains and other forms of accommodating resistance. I'm pretty sure you could also over haul your routine, which would help. Especially more frequent benching.

Maybe for shirted benchers, but not for raw benchers. Depending on style, pecs are often right up there at the top of the list for raw benchers. If you look at all the best raw benchers, from Kaz to Spoto, they have MASSIVE pecs....because there is no way in hell someone is throwing up 600-700 pounds without massive strongly strong pecs.

Maybe for shirted benchers, but not for raw benchers. Depending on style, pecs are often right up there at the top of the list for raw benchers. If you look at all the best raw benchers, from Kaz to Spoto, they have MASSIVE pecs....because there is no way in hell someone is throwing up 600-700 pounds without massive strongly strong pecs.

Totally agree Mike.

In order for me it would be pecs and triceps.

Also if you wanna bench heavy learn how to pull your shoulder blades back when you barbell press and control your breathing. Get some animal rage focus going on. Find something that really pisses you off and concentrate on it. Start breathing fast. Shorter faster breaths will make your body release epinephrine and so will getting pissed off.

Guessing you didn't watch the video? He explains the lats.

I'm not saying I agree with Lats playing a bigger role than pecs (why I said Lilly states that). I agree it's mostly left over from shirted lifters. My point was they are important and people do not appreciate that. I was using Lilly to drive the point home as he has hit 585+ in meets and is in the video.

Funny you mention Kaz as there is a video of him talking about using Biceps and Lats for bench. He basically realised that he could use his lats as a sort of spring board and also a means of biceps/lats as resistance on the way down and a rest (as Lilly shows in the video) at the bottom. It's a seminar video that I can't find at the moment.

Totally agree Mike.

Also if you wanna bench heavy learn how to pull your shoulder blades back when you barbell press and control your breathing. Get some animal rage focus going on. Find something that really pisses you off and concentrate on it. Start breathing fast. Shorter faster breaths will make your body release epinephrine and so will getting pissed off.

Good point, breathing and proper bracing is often neglected. Same goes with Squats and deadlifts.

Totally agree Mike.

Absolutely. Its pecs then triceps for raw benchers, followed by front delts, and then probably lats, but lats are low down on the list compared to the prime movers. Lats are important as stabilizers, but they sure aren't prime movers, as the lats don't actively contribute to moving the weight.

As far as technique go, biomechanics are critical. Pinching the scapulae together engages the pecs even more by placing them in a pre-stretched position, while further reducing the range of motion. The best raw benchers always pinch their shoulder blades, hold their chest as high as possible and bury their shoulders into the bench. Obviously, this requires having an arch. Even huge guys like Kennely get a crazy arch, despite weighing 330 lbs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity