over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

405 lb bench press, working on form and testing recovery

Powerbuilder

Registered
I wasn't trying to do anything crazy today. The goal was to practice bench form a little bit, test my recovery a little bit, and do some light shoulders. I've never been able to go somewhat heavy on chest after maxing out for about 10 days. So I wanted to see if I could do a 405 bench without too much struggle only 3 days after maxing out which would imply to me that my recovery has gotten substantially better.

Still a ways to go on form, but a marked improvement.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLlG7a8nEHc]Kevin OAK light chest & shoulders - YouTube[/ame]

You are getting better. The pause and lockout were solid. You were also a lot tighter. A couple things to look at:

1. Your spotter needs to learn how to give a lift off. You will most likely get red lighted for not coming out of the rack locked out.

2. Even though you were much tighter you didn't use any leg drive.

So no leg drive and shitty hand off and 405 still looked stupid easy. You are a beast.

You bench like I do somewhere between a bodybuilder and a powerlifter
I competed in plftng and managed 563 bench in the 220 lb class Im an old man now but I did do 4 reps with 405 last Monday nite personaly I like our form its a compromise I never could get the hang of the extremely arched back and elbows in thing. One thing you should try Kevin is wearing a belt sounds like BS but it really does help you eek out 1 or 2 more reps
BTW your videos are great

lvnp - thanks I didn't even know you had to start locked out although it's more comfortable for me to do so anyway, thanks that's definitely something i'll make sure to do.

I felt more solid I think I still should get my feet more under my hips and arch a little more, 1 day at a time though.

I was happy to do it solely because when I max on bench I usually cant go remotely heavy on chest for about 10 days so it was good to see my recovery is better, I think I was good for 425 maybe 435 today so I'm happy with that.

I think the end result is going to be pretty good when I put everything together its exciting thinking about it.

Capin - first of all 563 at 220 is beast mode if I saw someone do that in person my eyes would pop out of my head.

I think people who started lifting more in a bodybuilding fashion find it easy to meet half way because they tend to have well developed delts so they dont tend to gain much more switching at least not right away. Someone like Kai Greene or better yet Kevin Levrone can basically bench press cars with there delts.

I've tried working a belt in to the equation a couple of times, usually just a strongman vecro belt and I cant seem to figure it out so I kind of stray from it. I think it makes sense at least in terms of longevity though if I plan on benching in the 500's long term. How do you place it exactly, in the normal position on more mid back?

And thanks for the kind words on the vids I actually started making them just so I could see my form and because my friends would always ask me for exercise suggestions so it was easy just to have them on youtube to reference.

Last edited:
Man U hit the nail on the head for guys like us bigg delts=bigg bench
Back in the early 1980's when I could do 325 for 8 on seated behind the neck press I had a big bench
As far as the belt goes I like it up a bit higher for bench than it normaly would be for squats and the soft velcro type should be fine I use my old wore out leather one a big ole huge powerlifting belt is way to uncomfortable

super - thanks bro, I've done 455 legit everything above I either couldn't do or the spotter touched so its questionable. The legit 500 is coming though!

Capin - I'm gonna start forcing myself to use the belt so I can get used to it. I use to be able to behind the neck press in the 300's I don't do it enough anymore though I need to start doing it regularly again.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws