advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Nice job concreter! 405 is legitimate. Not a lot of men out there that can do it.
:fo:d-smil

Hit 120's for 10. Went to a gym in Rosemont with some buds.
120's were the biggest they had. Good thing because I barely locked out on the 10th rep.
Off to curling 2 plates I guess since I have not seen a dumbbell over 125 since my days at Yeagers.

Hit 120's for 10. Went to a gym in Rosemont with some buds.
120's were the biggest they had. Good thing because I barely locked out on the 10th rep.
Off to curling 2 plates I guess since I have not seen a dumbbell over 125 since my days at Yeagers.

The dumbbells are out there if you get lucky enough to find the gym. The gym I used to go to had them up to 200 lbs. We had a big strong guy there that I witnessed flat bench those for what I think was about 8 reps or more. Its been about 20 years now since that happened.

i used to go to a very hardcore gym on the weekends. It was about 30min away one way depending on traffic. But I loved it because it had dumbbells that went all the way up to 200lbs. I remember about 2 years ago when I was consistently just using dumbbells for my pressing movements I got up to 150lb for 6 reps on the flat bench. and could incline 140lb for 6 reps. Now Its a hit or miss type thing when Im pressing for chest. I go back and forth between dumbells and the barbell. But it always depends on how my shoulders are feeling that day. But big congrats to Concreter on hitting the infamous 405lb mark brother

WAY TO GO!!

Finally popped 405 on the bench at age 47.
Felt great after yrs and yrs under the Iron.

Hitting the big 4, way to go!! Always hoped to get there, but a negative was as far as I ever got. Go for 5!!

your brother in Christ,

Lucky

5 plates would take another 35 yrs.lol
Awesome hitting marks, too bad next week I have the umbilical surgery...
I'll need to take some time off and start back slowly.
Still by March I should be 100% with 30 days left in the bulker..
262lbs this a.m and shooting for 270.. another 1st.

Another Milestone, never have I been over 269 p.m.
Hit 273 last night!
Hopefully I can keep this growth spirt going.
Like puberty all over again>>lol

Man that's awesome bro. I just hit 295 last week for a 1 rep max 405 seems so far away :( haha I'll get there one day!

Another Milestone, never have I been over 269 p.m.
Hit 273 last night!
Hopefully I can keep this growth spirt going.
Like puberty all over again>>lol

I think that is gonna be my target too... about 270.

Looks like all that heavy lifting is building lots of muscle for you :)

First off, nice job to Concreter.

Heavy lifting is neglected by so many bodybuilders today, even the young guys. The days of the 90's and early-mid 2000's have passed. Back then, almost all bodybuilders followed the example of men like Dorian Yates and Ronnie Coleman, who were known for lifting extremely heavy weights and consequently, were also extremely large.

Back when I first started lifting, everyone bench pressed. Hell, if you didn't bench press, you didn't work chest! That was the mentality back then and big bench presses were common. Now it seems that barely anyone does bench presses.

In the early 90's you could walk into any high school weight room in America and see at least a few kids lifting 300-350 lbs on the bench...drug-free, as it wasn't common back then for high school kids to take steroids. If someone did, they were the rarity and everyone talked about it.

In most gyms there were tons of drug-free guys hitting 300-350 lbs, and every now and then someone would hit 405 lbs. I am talking about the drug-free crowd here. To hit 405 lbs drug-free was considered impressive. If someone was using steroids--they better be able to lift 405 lbs--that was just the way we thought. If someone was a steroid user (typical gym lifters did not use insulin or GH back then), then 500 lbs was considered good...and many gyms had a few guys who could do it. Today, I barely ever see anyone who can lift 400 lbs with drugs, let alone 500 lbs...and good luck finding a bodybuilder who can bench 585 lbs (6 plates--that was considered a great bench press for a bodybuilder, and there were quite a few advanced/pro bodybuilders who could do it in the 80's and 90's).

However, to see someone at 50 years of age or older lifting 405 lbs, that is pretty impressive in my eyes, as most guys have fallen apart by then and can't handle those kind of weights anymore. Their joints just won't let them.

Last edited:
First off, nice job to Concreter.

Heavy lifting is neglected by so many bodybuilders today, even the young guys. The days of the 90's and early-mid 2000's have passed. Back then, almost all bodybuilders followed the example of men like Dorian Yates and Ronnie Coleman, who were known for lifting extremely heavy weights and consequently, were also extremely large.

Back when I first started lifting, everyone bench pressed. Hell, if you didn't bench press, you didn't work chest! That was the mentality back then and big bench presses were common. Now it seems that barely anyone does bench presses.

In the early 90's you could walk into any high school weight room in America and see at least a few kids lifting 300-350 lbs on the bench...drug-free, as it wasn't common back then for high school kids to take steroids. If someone did, they were the rarity and everyone talked about it.

In most gyms there were tons of drug-free guys hitting 300-350 lbs, and every now and then someone would hit 405 lbs. I am talking about the drug-free crowd here. To hit 405 lbs drug-free was considered impressive. If someone was using steroids--they better be able to lift 405 lbs--that was just the way we thought. If someone was a steroid user (typical gym lifters did not use insulin or GH back then), then 500 lbs was considered good...and many gyms had a few guys who could do it. Today, I barely ever see anyone who can lift 400 lbs with drugs, let alone 500 lbs...and good luck finding a bodybuilder who can bench 585 lbs (6 plates--that was considered a great bench press for a bodybuilder, and there were quite a few advanced/pro bodybuilders who could do it in the 80's and 90's).

However, to see someone at 50 years of age or older lifting 405 lbs, that is pretty impressive in my eyes, as most guys have fallen apart by then and can't handle those kind of weights anymore. Their joints just won't let them.
I agree completely! It probably has to do maybe with the high volume approach which has become more and more common. Not saying there is anything wrong with it, but seems like more people I see are doing 20 plus set of 10 to 12 reps. I saw a young guy training this new girl the other day and had her doing 10x10s in the squat rack her first day lol.
I remember seeing a routine by Lee Haney in the magazine when I started back 23 years ago and noticed his flat bench was always something like 4 sets of 5 reps. So I started doing that mixed with Dorians 2 set per exercise routine and ended up doing something like 3 exercises per podypart, 2 sets of 5 on everything. Lateral raises, wrist curls, everything...lol. I did that for quite a while and put on a lot of size and strength doing that. I started out at 6'10" 200 lbs benching 185 lbs and ended up at 280 lbs benching 465 just 3 years later.

Last edited:
Wow

I agree completely! It probably has to do maybe with the high volume approach which has become more and more common. Not saying there is anything wrong with it, but seems like more people I see are doing 20 plus set of 10 to 12 reps. I saw a young guy training this new girl the other day and had her doing 10x10s in the squat rack her first day lol.
I remember seeing a routine by Lee Haney in the magazine when I started back 23 years ago and noticed his flat bench was always something like 4 sets of 5 reps. So I started doing that mixed with Dorians 2 set per exercise routine and ended up doing something like 3 exercises per podypart, 2 sets of 5 on everything. Lateral raises, wrist curls, everything...lol. I did that for quite a while and put on a lot of size and strength doing that. I started out at 6'10" 200 lbs benching 185 lbs and ended up at 280 lbs benching 465 just 3 years later.

Geezus BigSam thats incredible in 3yrs sir. It took me 11 years to get to that point. And it was mostly due to DC training. Heavies negatives statics just worked tremendously for my age. I still do those workouts. You are another inspiration on this board.. pro

Great job man

Like people say - not a lot of people lift heavy any more.
Once you get the reps down and less warm up sets you will increase the max to the next step. Have a power lifter look at your sets -you will go way up -
We used to have a lady in the gym that would do high reps.
That is great man
You are my age popping it up

All summer I do a higher rep faster tempo workout, still hitting the 5 rep mark on the top of the pyramid.
This works great for maintaining and some muscle growth although I think at a slower rate.
Blasting heavier weight is sure to shock your system into growth providing you give it enough rest between workouts.
The best thing I like about singles is that after you hit say 405 and your next set is 365 its seems a lot lighter than 365 before the 405 rep and 315 feels like 225.
Back when I was at my prime I would load the bar with 8 plates and do a single negitve squat, then have the spotters immediately strip of 2 plates a side and be able to POP 6 plates like it was light.
Kinda like a doughnut on a baseball bat.
Going heavy makes everything else seem light!

I was in my early 30's hit 405 on the bench after that nothing great...when I was 40 in a workout I hit 365 for 18 good reps....I should have tried to go for a max but it caught me off gaurd...never been a big bencher

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity