over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

5 reasons to quit bodybuilding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajdos

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
I saw this article today I thought it hit some key points about the bodybuilding culture such that it is.

by Cade Thomas

I like to consider myself a positive person. I believe most of my articles support pursuing your goals and maintaining a positive outlook on bodybuilding and the lifestyle as a whole. However, there is a growing number of people who I feel simply need to ask themselves what the hell they are doing and why exactly they are doing it.

While many are beginning their journey into bodybuilding and physical improvement as we start the new year, there are some people who I think need a “reverse resolution” and need to scratch some goals off their list.

These are a few signs you should stop bodybuilding. Now.

1. You hate the diet

Look, everyone likes pizza and ice cream and any human who tries to tell you they truly prefer “healthy” food is an evil liar who should not be trusted. However, if you are serious about bodybuilding and want to call yourself a bodybuilder you simply are going to have a rather limited menu for your daily food. The best physiques in history were built on repetitive and non-cheese-melted-on dietary choices and there is a reason for that. So while no one is saying you should not fantasize about junk food, you shouldn’t WANT to eat them. If you constantly binge on sugary fatty delightful foods because your pretty little brain couldn’t handle 3 days of egg whites, oats, chicken breast and broccoli, then you probably are not mentally cut out to excel in this endeavor.

And please, for the love of god, do not post about it being a struggle or act like you are fighting some kind of battle expecting people to rally behind you as you nobly chew on reheated fish and brown rice. You chose to be a bodybuilder, and that’s how you become one.

If you aren’t willing to practice your instrument on a regular basis, you cannot tell people you want to be a Rock Star. If you sign up for the task, do the work.

2. You don’t LOVE training

The entire basis of bodybuilding is built on lifting weights. It’s pretty common to hear that many bodybuilders do it because they absolutely love to train and don’t really dig the tanning and posing in trunks on show day. The love for training is the seed that grows into the rest. Without that passion and drive to go into the gym and get the job done, the likelihood of success is pretty low. So many people these days place training very low on the list of priorities and believe they can out-drug their pathetic attempts with the iron.

I personally feel that with anything in life, you have to truly love the process to excel and have a fulfilling career (or hobby) and that if you just want the end result but hate the road to get there, you probably will never make it.

In my opinion, real bodybuilders find excuses why they HAVE TO train that day opposed to finding excuses to take days off. Using every family get together or friends birthday as an excuse to ditch the gym (when you could easily schedule both into your day) is a sign that your heart isn’t in it. You need to fall in love with the gratification of an insane pump and knowledge that you had an amazing productive workout before you can even entertain the idea of getting gratification from others based on your body. Check your priorities.

3. You talk about how hard the lifestyle is

We all know these people. And they are the reason I chose to write this very article. Facebook and twitter posts nonstop about how they wish they could eat this or that, wish they could stay home instead of doing their cardio, wish it wasn’t so hard to juggle a life with the fitness lifestyle, etc blah blah blah.

Bodybuilding is a very conscious choice and a very specific path, and it has to be chosen. No one else gives a flying f*ck if you have muscle or not. They don’t care if you eat a lean steak or deep fried pork chop. So who the hell is forcing you to do all these things that make you so miserable? No one. And no one wants to hear you complain about it. People have real problems in todays society, and choosing to walk on a treadmill while you listen to music on your expensive headphones is not a real problem.

Life is about choices and if the ones you make on an hourly basis make you unhappy…how about making different ones? Oh right, it’s probably just that you are a miserable attention whore.

4. You start training with the intention of “going pro”

Like I previously stated, if your end goal is the basis of the entire reason to choose this lifestyle, you need to re-evaluate. The phrase “going pro” is becoming the most over used and vomit inducing in the entire industry, and clueless young people are throwing the phrase around like earning an IFBB professional card is as easy as growing a beard.

Similarly, if you bodybuild just to get more “likes” on Instagram and post more selfies than you count reps, just quit. There is no problem with utilizing social media to market yourself if you are a legitimate athlete or are sponsored by a company who requires it, but if the attention is what motivates you then please just go away.

5. You do Men’s Physique

Totally kidding! Happy New Years!

None of those were ever me.

For me there was only one reason to "quit bodybuildilng" and that is to be a healthy, lean, athletic 210 lbs guy on no drugs who can live a long life as opposed to a 250 lb walking health risk.

Nothing against you big guys, but for my genetics the amount of food and drugs it would take to maintain that is not something I'm willing to do. So I decided to step back, stay healthy, focus on longevity and get back to where I enjoy other things in life more. Not quite sure if that qualifies as "quitting" bodybuilding, maybe rather reducing it's importance. Either way I feel much better and look a lot healthier.

EPIC post imo

that post is a bit funny, a bit sad and a lot of truth lol
I have def let some goals go. its all good
-JS

Last edited:
Ironmag post

And its clearly not written by a builder.

This makes it seem harder than it is imo.

There are a hell of a lot worse things you could be doing with your time. For many people it's a great hobby to help stay away from their vices and live a more positive and productive life. :)

Last I checked pizza and ice cream will grow bigger muscles than broccoli and chicken I eat bacon and chocolate milkshakes everyday. I am shredded leaner than some on stage year round. So no #1 is garbage.

I think this article is for the people who are complaining about how hard it is, its not telling people to quit bodybuilding...

It basically says if you are miserable being a bodybuilder, stop doing it and do something you enjoy.

Did you guys even read it? Its PRO bodybuilding, not anti

I like #2. I love to train! I've always loved it and regardless of competition I will always love to lift I can't imagine a life without it. Don't misunderstand, I have many things in life that motivate me and bodybuilding is just one of them. But I agree, if you don't love the process then you will never last long enough to achieve the result you desire. :cool:

Last I checked pizza and ice cream will grow bigger muscles than broccoli and chicken I eat bacon and chocolate milkshakes everyday. I am shredded leaner than some on stage year round. So no #1 is garbage.
Or maybe you are a freak and no 1 has nothing to do with you...if you arent eating the foods and complaining, perhaps it wasn't directed at you?

And I wouldn't gain jack shit but a huge set of titties and 50" waist doing what you said, so I disagree...you are not the norm.

Reason 6. You have a paper asshole.

Reason 7. You have the drive, tenacity and back bone of an earthworm.

Reason 8. When the going gets rough you get going.

Reason 9. You have a lunk alarm hanging on the wall next to your BowFlex

The BIG Number 10. You would rather stay home and iron your under wear.:D

LOL

CG

Last edited:
I fell victim to #1 FAR too often.

And lol at the clowns on instagram who post a selfies and talk about the "struggle" in the caption like they are solving world hunger. Those are the biggest tools of all.

This is what I used to say until I developed health problems in my late 20s I'm trying to correct.

Sure, you will gain just as much muscle... but unhealthy food + steroids for prolonged periods shortens lifespans.

Your body only wants to get so heavy. When you add enough muscle and train everything goes to that. Bulking and cutting is not for the masses if your not over 250 stop pretending your bulking. Also you can be shredded on mcdonalds it is about macronutrients and calories not beef vs chicken.

A long term trained weight lifter will be lean if your not lean your bullshitting. I took this pic today I have never dieted or done any ab work. I lift if you do the same you can eat whatever you want.

I am also 37 FYI

Attachments

• 10425403_10152958961948449_7242014108189361028_n.jpg
    10425403_10152958961948449_7242014108189361028_n.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 2,016
Your body only wants to get so heavy. When you add enough muscle and train everything goes to that. Bulking and cutting is not for the masses if your not over 250 stop pretending your bulking. Also you can be shredded on mcdonalds it is about macronutrients and calories not beef vs chicken.

A long term trained weight lifter will be lean if your not lean your bullshitting. I took this pic today I have never dieted or done any ab work. I lift if you do the same you can eat whatever you want.

I am also 37 FYI

gotta love skinny people trying to explain shit... lol!

:banghead:

You know it isn't easy to look skinny at 220lbs and five foot ten I have 19 inch arms dipshit your belly does not make you big

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,393
Last edited:
You know it isn't easy to look skinny at 220lbs and five foot ten I have 19 inch arms dipshit your belly does not make you big

Don't get pissy man - I think he was just screwing with you.. The point is that your post is asinine.. To think that if you eat McDonalds and aren't lean then you are bullshitting and not training - well - just read that again..

YOU must have a great metabolism and that's great... I gain muscle incredibly easy but I couldn't say that anyone that doesn't is "bullshitting" - there are guys that train MUCH harder and better than me and don't get those results...

*** I guess since you posted a pic of you in your undies and even one on the scale - (LOL I cant believe that one )- you might as well post a pic of those pythons and a tape measure... By the way - mine are only 19 too :D

Last edited:
Look I don't need to argue with a bunch of fat asses that don't lift. It is strange how after decades of training everyone wants to declare it is all genetics. If you lift weights several days a week for a few decades you will be shredded regardless of diet it is that simple.

Do you guys realize that exercise and muscle gain changes your metabolism? If I sat home and did nothing my metabolism would suck

Last edited:
Look I don't need to argue with a bunch of fat asses that don't lift. It is strange how after decades of training everyone wants to declare it is all genetics. If you lift weights several days a week for a few decades you will be shredded regardless of diet it is that simple.

Do you guys realize that exercise and muscle gain changes your metabolism? If I sat home and did nothing my metabolism would suck

You have to be a gimmick account....

Lifting weights makes everyone's metabolism fast enough to live off junk? You would make the world's worst personal trainer hahaha. I train for 2 hours, high volume, and do some cardio year round and if I eat junk more than a few times a week I get fat.

And even if I didn't, I wouldnt eat it daily cause I like the idea of seeing my son grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear