over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

7 Lessons from Dave Tate

BigDM

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Learn From Others, Get Strong

The most successful people spend their time learning from their mistakes and other people. If strength is your game then read about it, talk about it, and do everything you can to make yourself better. Talk to anyone you feel can help you. Steal from the strong and use it in your training. You can never learn too much. Your success may depend on one very small thing you could never have figured out yourself.

Don't Get Pulled Down

You only go around once, so you may as well make the best of your time here by living the life you really want to live. "Well, Dave, I'd like to but..." But what? Do what you gotta do! There are many people out there who live "but lives," "I shoulda lives," and "I coulda lives." These people are easy to find. They're the ones we call critics: those who've become masters of the "have not" and love to spend their time telling us what we can and can't do. They make up 90% of the people I've met. Avoid them! They love to pull you down.

Don't Workout. Train!

There's more to getting strong than just lifting the weights. You have to get an attitude with the weights and bust your ass. Louie Simmons once told me he would NEVER train with anyone who didn't scare him in one way or another. This is some of the best advice I've ever heard. I'm not saying you should be a dick, but there's a huge difference between "training" and "working out."

Do What You Suck Doing

Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing. The difference between a successful athlete and a crappy one is they always do the things they have to do, not what they want to do.

Bust It

Everyone wants to major in the minor shit. A lot of people love training calves because it's easy. Compare a calf raise to a bentover row. Which one is the pussy going to choose?

It makes me sick to see how most people train today. We're the most overeducated, under-producing group of trainers and coaches ever. The one thing that's never changed is that you still have to work hard. A lot of people and a lot of programs are trying to sidestep that one main issue. But you gotta go in there and you gotta bust your ass! People need to quit looking for the easy way out and get to work.

Knuckle Down

You have to test yourself from time to time, especially as you get a bit older and watch everyone around you "takin' er easy" and getting weaker and softer in mind and body. Every once in a while you have to make it hard on purpose. Doesn't matter if it's in the gym or in the kitchen.

And while you've gotta be smart about things and stick to your goals, you've also gotta remind yourself that you're a man. You've gotta remind yourself that when you make a promise, especially one to yourself, you've got to stick to it and not crumble. You simply gotta get in there and get it done — without complaint and without compromise. You just knuckle down and do what it takes.

Defining Moments

We all have those times in life I like to call "defining moments." These moments in time can be glorious or disastrous, but always shape the direction and path of who we become. We grow and become better or worse for it. The difference between better or worse is how the situation is perceived.

If something bad happens to you, do you view it as a learning experience and move on, or do you let it tear you up? If something good happens, do you look back to ask why or write it off as luck? What does all this have to do with strength training? Everything!

life is quick, make it count...good read.

Learn From Others, Get Strong

The most successful people spend their time learning from their mistakes and other people. If strength is your game then read about it, talk about it, and do everything you can to make yourself better. Talk to anyone you feel can help you. Steal from the strong and use it in your training. You can never learn too much. Your success may depend on one very small thing you could never have figured out yourself.

Don't Get Pulled Down

You only go around once, so you may as well make the best of your time here by living the life you really want to live. "Well, Dave, I'd like to but..." But what? Do what you gotta do! There are many people out there who live "but lives," "I shoulda lives," and "I coulda lives." These people are easy to find. They're the ones we call critics: those who've become masters of the "have not" and love to spend their time telling us what we can and can't do. They make up 90% of the people I've met. Avoid them! They love to pull you down.

Don't Workout. Train!

There's more to getting strong than just lifting the weights. You have to get an attitude with the weights and bust your ass. Louie Simmons once told me he would NEVER train with anyone who didn't scare him in one way or another. This is some of the best advice I've ever heard. I'm not saying you should be a dick, but there's a huge difference between "training" and "working out."

Do What You Suck Doing

Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing. The difference between a successful athlete and a crappy one is they always do the things they have to do, not what they want to do.

Bust It

Everyone wants to major in the minor shit. A lot of people love training calves because it's easy. Compare a calf raise to a bentover row. Which one is the pussy going to choose?

It makes me sick to see how most people train today. We're the most overeducated, under-producing group of trainers and coaches ever. The one thing that's never changed is that you still have to work hard. A lot of people and a lot of programs are trying to sidestep that one main issue. But you gotta go in there and you gotta bust your ass! People need to quit looking for the easy way out and get to work.

Knuckle Down

You have to test yourself from time to time, especially as you get a bit older and watch everyone around you "takin' er easy" and getting weaker and softer in mind and body. Every once in a while you have to make it hard on purpose. Doesn't matter if it's in the gym or in the kitchen.

And while you've gotta be smart about things and stick to your goals, you've also gotta remind yourself that you're a man. You've gotta remind yourself that when you make a promise, especially one to yourself, you've got to stick to it and not crumble. You simply gotta get in there and get it done — without complaint and without compromise. You just knuckle down and do what it takes.

Defining Moments

We all have those times in life I like to call "defining moments." These moments in time can be glorious or disastrous, but always shape the direction and path of who we become. We grow and become better or worse for it. The difference between better or worse is how the situation is perceived.

If something bad happens to you, do you view it as a learning experience and move on, or do you let it tear you up? If something good happens, do you look back to ask why or write it off as luck? What does all this have to do with strength training? Everything!

Very good read!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GREAT READ

imo none of that was about bodybuilding....
awesome.
-JS

I'm glad everyone enjoyed this as much as I did. Dave has a way of writing that I can really relate to.

I remember Dave in the middle 90's competing in some of the same APF meets i did.
He had a certain way about him such as views back then,he really took it to another level.

Staff online

• Bio
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner