YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

A freaky picture of art that was taken from the front row.

weight77

Registered
The bellies of his muscles are sick.

A good friend of mine grew up with art (same high school) and still lives down the street from him. He called me that last time he was over there and told me that the only thing art is doing for his legs now are deads and maybe a few sets of leg press. He also said his daughter was there with him and that she ran up to hug art and she could not get her arms around one of his legs.

Attachments

• art atwood.jpg
    art atwood.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 2,773
Last edited:
this was also at the Florida show. Johnny O deads 800 + lbs.

Attachments

• deadlift..jpg
    deadlift..jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 4,601
Well

Thats where it gets complicated. I know for a fact that %99 of the guys that pay me to help them on here with their training routine do nothing close to what I suggest. They think that it is not enough. Thats sad because they are really missing out by doing all of these sets and reps and different angles etc.... I guess we all have been brainwashed by the mags..too bad.

that pic of johnnie o. is amazing!

i respect a guy that can outlift most powerlifters and look good doing it as well!

ARTS LEGS

Hey weight77 im confused by your statement ? are you saying Art does less of a leg workout because his legs are already big and overpowering OR he does less because thats all he needs to get them big?

Last edited:
Both. His legs are so big he does not need to do much more and his legs grow so easyly that he can get away with doing just deep deadlifts (ass going down very far to get the hams to really work) and some presses.

Re: Well

PHIL HERNON said:
Thats where it gets complicated. I know for a fact that %99 of the guys that pay me to help them on here with their training routine do nothing close to what I suggest. They think that it is not enough. Thats sad because they are really missing out by doing all of these sets and reps and different angles etc.... I guess we all have been brainwashed by the mags..too bad.

from the road to olympia videos ive seen all the pros do heavy weight with lots of sets and reps. thats on low carbs too. im not arguing with you, just trying to get your opinion on what you conisder overtraining. thanks

I too would like to know what you think over training is. Give an example on say chest...What would your routine be for leg day. ie: sets, reps, etc. I have always grown well off of 4 sets of squats, 4 sets of leg presses, and finnish with 4 sets of extensions. All in the 6 to 8 rep range. Am I overtraining? Can get this done in an hour.

i think 2-4 sets is all u need. I will prollytry phils routine in the summer under his guidance. It makes alot of sense to me. i recently startd traing H.I.T and i really like it. Have always done mild to hight volume in the past.

what people don't understand about HIT is that it might only be 3 sets buts its alot more brutal than high volume.(forced reps,static holds and negatives) No way u can push it to the max if your doing all those sets. IMPOSSIBLE. aslo each additional set digs deeper into ur recovery ability. maybe adding an extra set has its purposes sometimes but theres a very fine line of diminishing return.

I think if you back off all the forced reps and negatives and just got to postive failure ur recovery ability will be better which will allow u train a muscle more frequently which i think is what Phils routine is about.

gotta make muscles work harder not longer

Last edited:
very nicely stated Conan

Conan21 said:
i think 2-4 sets is all u need. I will prollytry phils routine in the summer under his guidance. It makes alot of sense to me. i recently startd traing H.I.T and i really like it. Have always done mild to hight volume in the past.

what people don't understand about HIT is that it might only be 3 sets buts its alot more brutal than high volume.(forced reps,static holds and negatives) No way u can push it to the max if your doing all those sets. IMPOSSIBLE. aslo each additional set digs deeper into ur recovery ability. maybe adding an extra set has its purposes sometimes but theres a very fine line of diminishing return.

I think if you back off all the forced reps and negatives and just got to postive failure ur recovery ability will be better which will allow u train a muscle more frequently which i think is what Phils routine is about.

gotta make muscles work harder not longer

Training

DamageInc said:
I too would like to know what you think over training is. Give an example on say chest...What would your routine be for leg day. ie: sets, reps, etc. I have always grown well off of 4 sets of squats, 4 sets of leg presses, and finnish with 4 sets of extensions. All in the 6 to 8 rep range. Am I overtraining? Can get this done in an hour.

I am not saying you wont grow. There is just a difference in what most people think is growing well and "big", and what I am/was after. I am also not telling you that you are overtraining. Is it easy to overtrain? Yes. Can we just make up for it by sleeping and eating more? No.

i will not speak for phil but, he and i talk quite often and have almost identical views on training..the videos that you guys watch are very entertaining.. but, watch the video and get inspired.. but, it is not a educational video.. what you are seeing is the top .5% of the guys in the world.. they can get away with alot of crao in regards to training.. how many of us could lift with high volume with heavy ass weights and still train that bodypart twice a week.. well, ronnie can do it.. but, do not look to ronnie for training advice.. ronnie could stop training altogther and still be better built than many of us.. could thses guys be just as good with the lower type volume training.. yes.. they are successful in spite of themselves.. does high volume work.. yes.. but, why would you want to do a higher volume based owkout when you could get the same gains with lower volume..
lets have a example of high volume.. if a guy benchs for 5 sets and it goes something like this 1) 135 x 15 2) 225 x 12 3) 315 x 10 4) 405 x 6-8 5) 405 x 4-6.. now.. the first 3 sets did nothing for growth.. the last two aided in growth.. but, we hear that he does 5 sets ect.. basically after a couple of warmups hit your top weight and get it over with..
now that being said.. i do not like hit because it takes it a little too far.. training a bodypart once every 7-10 days is taking two steps forward and one step back.. i have personally seen jonnie jackson train and he does high volume.. but, he is also a genetic freak that can handle 800 in the deadlift.. most of us are not coming anywhere close to that.. never discount the greatness of genetics.. we all know that phil is a genetic freak.. but, he has a small penis.. hence, the penis pump.. i do not have phils genetics for bodybuilding but, have to tuck mine in my socks.. life sometimes is not fair.. :rolleyes: also, what phil said is correct.. i do not care how much you eat and sleep.. if your central nervous system is drained all the steak and sleep yo can get will not help much.. tuning the volume down is the only way..

Last edited:
i have this visual of you checking out the ken dolls groin...and smiling..with your pants down..with moisturizing hand creme on the table next to you..and kenny g soundtrack playing in the background....OH GOD WHY WONT THIS LEAVE MY HEAD..!!!

Phil, if you don't mind, would you give an example workout for say legs? If I were to walk into my gym on leg day what would you recommend for my leg routine? You have got my interest. I am just curious what a leg day would be for you.

i think that these pics from Art arre pretty freaky to :eek:

Attachments

• frontbiceps.jpg
    frontbiceps.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 2,441

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear