over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

a layoff

Jackie Treehorn

Registered
How often do you guys take a layoff?On your layoff what habits do you change ?Hows your eating? Do you do any cardio on your layoff?How long do you take off for?

Personally, I only take a layoff if I have some sort of injury, and I only take off as long as absolutely necessary. If it’s more than 1 week, then one can generally begin to notice some type of regression. If you need to take time off, try to follow good eating habits, as this will make the return smoother. As far as cardio, it’s a good idea to do whether you’re actively training or not, unless an injury would prevent it. I have heard though (whether it’s accurate or not) that some pros take up to 3 months off following a competition, and then hit it hard again.

I took a month off once when I had mistakenly started to train for a triathlon. I was doing mad cardio, running, swimming, biking. My diet was good, I was taking in alot of carbs to keep my energy during my workouts. I started to get really lean though. But I missed the gym really bad, and got tired of being small.

I used to be of the thought that any layoff was a bad idea.

As I get older I find after a period of heavy training, say 12 or 16 weeks I need to take a break for 7 to 10 days.
I will do some light cardio during that time, eat fairly cleanly, just not go overboard.

Then im ready to get back at it. Just listen to your body, if you are dragging in the gym, maybe it's time for a break

Boing "the English_Bulldog"

Last edited:
freefaller21 said:
I took a month off once when I had mistakenly started to train for a triathlon. I was doing mad cardio, running, swimming, biking. My diet was good, I was taking in alot of carbs to keep my energy during my workouts. I started to get really lean though. But I missed the gym really bad, and got tired of being small.

What do you mean mistakenly?

I do triathlons in the clydesdale division 225lb and above. Unfortunately I sometimes have to eat REALLY dirty the week before a race just to make weight. Then of course I feel
bloated :(

Well I used to be in the military and lets just say my unit's operating tempo was fairly high. We were required to be in top physical condition. So I did alot of running, sometimes too much and as a result suffered a multitude of running related lower leg injuries. So when I decided to do a triathlon with all the training that goes into one I found out that my body wasn't able to handle all those miles. Nothing against guys who do triathlons, more power to ya.:)

I need to take about a week or 10 days off about every 12 to 16 weeksl. I think that it will always be benificial to take that much needed rest, especially when you are pulling mad weight all the time....your body will react positively to your time off and you'll moswt likely feel alot better. Take care.

patk

I think if you're feeling like you need time off, you need to evaluate your training routine, among possibly other things. If your feeling sluggish in the gym, maybe you're overtraining. If this is the case, you may find that you'll be needing to "take time off" quite often. Maybe time off would do you some good, but I think that there are numerous reasons for feeling that way, and you should maybe take a look at them.

i am no pro, but i noticed twice that taking time off i lost alot of weight cause i lose weight fast and i gain it fast, but i took a month off a couple times and i quit deiting hardcore and i did nothing it feels great on the body and when i went back to the gym, lets say i left weighing 210 i would get all my weight back in no time plus more be up to like 220 in a matter of weeks, i am finding more and more that for my body it responds great to breaks every 4-6 months it really helps me prevent over training and i go back with more ambition to work out, and i am no old guy i am 20 years old, so anyone alot older i would think would respond great to having breaks., but hey this is information i have gathered from my body listen to your see what it wants.

I don't take breaks because I feel like shit or because "Ifeel like I need it"........I take short breaks, because "I know" that benefits me......maybe some people respond negatively to time off, but I highly doubt it. Take care.

patk

bro iam about your age i havnt missed a traiing day in 2.5 years. Its ll about dtermination there are times when i lighten the load of course but i always make it to the gym regardless

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws