over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

A METHOD FOR IMPROVING BENCH MAX

forklift28

Registered
I want to improve my max bench(who doesn't). Right now I could probably get about 340..thats just an estimate. I can rep 225 19 times..275 for a good 8, sometimes 10 with a little help.I have been for the most part training for increasing muscle size..and do mostly dumbbells for my chest work because I never usually have a lifting partner for chest day. Here's my physical stats:

age/29
6'0
around 10% bf

I used to be stronger in the bench when I was younger and playing ball for troy state..but i was fatter and didn't have as much muscle as I do now..we just focused mainly on the power lifts..bench,squat,power clean.Its like the bigger and more I've grown my other muscles my bench numbers have dropped or stayed the same..and I'm pretty sure it's because I've strayed from it because I usually never have a spotter so i would do dumbbells instead. So with all that being said does anyone have a program or advice for sets, reps, pondages, etc. to help get my bench up..I want to get it back up to 405(that was my max in college when I weighed 260).I do have a spotter now and we both are wanting to increase our bench max.I am also going to keep working my other bodyparts as well along with a suggested program for my goal.I guess I better include my training split:

1)chest,light tri's
2)back, light bi's
3)legs, calves
4) rest
5) shoulders
6) arms, calves
7)rest

Any programs,suggestions, or advice will be greatly appreciated.

make your day 1 a heavy bench day and day 4 a light/dynamic bench day. that would give you something similar to a westside method. if you're willing to change your split then try 5-3-1, my gym did 4 months of nothing but 5-3-1 and all the guys increased their bench by about 30-40 lbs depending on the lifter.

light tris wont get you a big bench...heavy tris and shoulder work and lat work...look up Nick Winters and Dru Patrick...those guys have huge benches and live and die by heavy overhead work and tricep work

WALKER : When you mention 5,3,1,...are you referring to rep scheme? Or if this a body part training split?And to the other post I do tri's on chest day but I have a separate day where I work both bi's and tri's with heavy to moderate weights(I was trying to bring my arms up and the extra work did the job)..usually start with skull-crushers or close-grip bench(for tri's) and for bi's alternating d.b. curls or cambered bar..all with a heavy weight.And for shoulders..I usually stick to the basics..military or d.b. presses followed by laterals and shrugs.Also I just recently gotten back into dead lifts..for back I usually start with pull-ups then dead lifts.Just got back into the deads..I was afraid of hurting my back..wouldn't be good for work,but fuck it..I know it is great for increasing overall strength(did 405 3 sets of 8x tonight).So there's my basic exercises i stick to..i throw in other exercises after those main lifts. I'm open to any routines to focus on getting my max back up.

i'm refering to Wendler's 5-3-1 program. It's very simple and to the point. The program isn't designed for hypertrophy, but with the big compound movements the program is based off of, you could possibly put on some good, functional mass along with greatly improving you bench (and of course squat and deadlift).

gain some weight and follow a power specific routine...

5/3/1 is decent...so is a westside style program...

read this:
**broken link removed**

IMO, I would flip 3 and 4(3 days straight training is too much). Combine 6 with 5 and take the weekends off. If you keep it like you have you will only have one day in between tris on day six and training them on one day rest again on day 1.

I think your right ron..I am feeling a little too sore fro my routine.I upped the routine since I'm "on" but I'm realizing that I still need to get the rest.I'm gonna try to throw two rest days in there cause I'm also feeling the mental burnout.Thinking back I was my strongest when I didn't do all the isolation exercises and so much volume.I know I'm getting plenty of carbs and protein.About 300 to 350 g. protein to around 500 g. of carbs..fats i usually get from peanut butter or the fats in the lean cuts of meat i eat(turkey,beef,pork,and chicken).Thanks for all the help guys..appreciate the feedback.

I would get more protein than that. You are 220, i would shoot for 400+ per day, or about 2x your weight. Get about 5k in total calories.

I would get more protein than that. You are 220, i would shoot for 400+ per day, or about 2x your weight. Get about 5k in total calories.

I would half to get that extra amout from shakes.I get most of the protein from foods..it get's a little expensive trying to add mass..but if I want to get that max up your right I'm gonna have to up the protein.I know it dropped because of never having a spot for flat bench press so started relying solely on dumbbells for my chest exercises.I am very strong on those but it's like I lost my strength on the bench in doing so.I wish I could keep a reliable training partner..that's my biggest problem.I have been trying the suggested programs and I was getting stronger but my partner has gotten sorry again.The last time I did flat bench I did:
225 20x
275 10x
315 4x

And this was without a spot and when I know I don't have a spot behind me something in me mentally messes me up.On dbells i do:

incline
100lbs 12x
110lbs 8x
85lbs burnout

flat
100lbs 12x
125lbs 8x
135lbs 6x

And that is by myself with no spots..I don't know if this translates to the flat bench but I should be able to press at least 375lbs..IMO

Does not really matter where the protein comes from meals or shakes. I would try to get at least 2/3 from meals and the rest from shakes if needed.

You need a program designed for increasing your bench. Like metal militia.
Boards, back, boards, raw, tri's, boards, back, shirt work .... etc....

Try different methods of pushing your lockout or explosion. IE bands for chest to stick point, and boards for sticking point to lockout.

I've tried various methods. The one thing I've noticed that helps with bench is dips, dips and more dips. I had gotten away from doing weighted dips because at 37 it hurts a little. It still hurts but right now I'm focused on numbers. I'm currently just doing medical HRT (200mgs Cyp/wk) and over the past 6 weeks my bench has gone from 335 to 375. The one thing that is different, well, besides my routine is weighted dips. I also think squats and deads help, which are the other power movements I'm focused on.

Stats:
5'10
6-7% BF

Board boards boards... never was a fan but was the smartest decision I made went from 365 struggling to an easy 405 double.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws