over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

A prep log of some sort...

I wanted to share this as well, it's a basic down and dirty explanation of why cheat meals, skiploading, carbloading, refeeds or whatever you call it WORK. Some people give me shit about this.. they don't under stand. I got the skinny 6'2 175lb ripped trainer at the gym telling me I don't need to be loading up on carbs like that if I just keep it consistent. He goes through phases where he will cut up more, but really he hasn't changed in the 3 years I've known him. That shit just bothers me... ANyways, I wrote up this little guy for a facebook post. I resourced a bit of info from Lyle Mcdonald on this.

If you want to be big and grow this is a very short run down of why you don't want to be shredded all year and why you want to diet quickly, which is why dieting tends to need a bit of suffering.

There is a hormone called leptin. When you are underrating(dieting), levels go down, and ghrelin goes up. Ghrelin signals hunger so you will eat. Leptin seems to signal the rest of the body of your current level of bodyfat and how much you are eating. When leptin gets low from undereating there are numerous negative feedback loops that are triggered to prevent you from losing fat. Losing fat is a liability to your survival in your body's eyes. Thyroid hormone t3/t4 uptake is impaired, stress hormone cortisol is increased(this can be catabolic), Protein synthesis is reduced(muscle building). Leptin seems to be influenced by the presence of glucose more than fat. So when you are undereating and reducing carbohydrates, you will be able to oxidize fat cells more efficiently, but only for so long until those negative feedback mechanisms begin.

This is where Refeed days come in. I.e. SKIPLOADING, SHITLOADING, CARBLOADING, whatever you may call it. Since undereating causes a drop in leptin, to remedy this, we OVEREAT, but only for a relatively short duration. Being that glucose is the main factor triggering leptin along with the anti-catabolic effects of insulin, we chose to reload on higher amounts of carbohydrates. Given enough time this will reset many of the negative feedbacks. We reload the liver and muscle cells with glycogen, soak up some water weight, but then it's right back on the diet. Now you are at the body composition you left off at, but now you have reset all the shit that was holding you back from further fatloss. Give a couple days for your glycogen stores to get low again, water to fall off, and then see ADDITIONAL progress made that very week.

So you can see why dieting is hard. The body does not want to do it. You can also see why trying to stay shredded will NEVER allow you to put on substantial muscle. I also hope some of you now understand why cheat meals/carb loads/shitloads are necessary.

Great post.

People don't seem to realize that if you're going to train hard, and not trash your metabolism that refeeding (by whatever name you prefer) is needed. Fuck those "bros" who seem to think that there's something heroic about fish and broccoli and living on a treadmill. No one gives a fuck how you got shredded, just whether or not you got there.

Great post.

People don't seem to realize that if you're going to train hard, and not trash your metabolism that refeeding (by whatever name you prefer) is needed. Fuck those "bros" who seem to think that there's something heroic about fish and broccoli and living on a treadmill. No one gives a fuck how you got shredded, just whether or not you got there.

Haha I love it!

haha, sorry. Just tired of seeing these metabolic assassins in my neck of the woods masquerading as "gurus" that will get people in shape...but its the most grueling, miserable experience of their lives and they wind up looking like concentration camp survivors on stage, and throw on 50 pounds in 2 weeks after the show.

Well I seriously appreciate that. Feels good coming from a fellow competitor. Where I live, there really aren't any serious competitors. There is no one here to share theories or strategies with or anyone who has an eye for this stuff. Everyone will say you look good. That's one reason I started this log here. To get more involved with a bodybuilding crowd.

How is your conditioning at this point? I feel you on the energy. I usually feel good Monday, Tuesday is usually pretty good. Wednesday can be either good or bad and then from Thursday on, they are all bad until Sunday.

Haha man, don't keel over just yet! I've gone hypo on cardio before on my first prep. Just feels like YUCK. You just instinctively KNOW what's happening. Like yup, this is me going hypo, i feel so shitty. How low are your carbs? You should get a log going. Feels good sometimes to come here and just spill on all this shit out. The feedback is always a plus too.

First off, I echo what cobe said - no judge will ever place you based on:

how much you lifted to look the way you did
what you ate to look the way you did
what you took to look the way you did

..all that matters is how you look, that day, at that EXACT moment you're on stage :cool:

so fuck all the guys saying you should get in shape this way or that way, put up or shut up is what I tell them!

My conditioning is not quite where I want it - I really want the glutes to be in, not just starting to show through, but clearly striated. I'm doing this prep as a natural (and entering a natural show) so I realize without any supps I can't be super hard, dense, full and shredded. I want to focus on being dry and shredded and let the chips fall where they may. That being said I don't want to deflate to nothing :D

I actually have a log up on rxmuscle, check it out if you get the chance man, always good to hear feedback, especially from a serious competitor like yourself!

log: Contest Prep for 2013 Natural Indiana - Page 7

right now for me carbs are ~120 on my 'light' days of training (4 days per week) and ~ 150 on my 'heavy' days of training (3 days per week). Fats are relatively consistent at 60g per day. I stopped the big cheats and am now focusing on honing in on exactly what I need from clean carbs to come in just full enough on Saturday mornings, so I refeed once per week (this week was a 350g carb day).

Bill, I'm striving for that same conditioning. Even on gear, I'm finding it real hard to get this last shit off my body. i want so bad to get that grainy look.

I stopped by your log. Lookin awesome. Your last back shot shows you are starting to bring in that graininess. I'm still trying to harden the whole back side up.

Yeah man, 2 weeks. I haven't been around here much. I'm to the point where I don't want to see or be around anyone. Everything is getting on my nerves. We are kind of having to sell our house or else end up in a worse situation. I'm just puttin my head down and grinding through.

I listened to a pretty convincing radio broadcast. It's by Layne Norton on RX muscle called muscle college or something. It was talking about Ben Pakulski and his HIIT cardio. I know Ben had been doing a lot of HIIT for the Arnold. I decided to see how puttin priority on HIIT will effect me. I'm trying that this week. Still doing about an hour of low intensity a day along with 20 mins of HIIT on a bike or elliptical.

Here are some pics I had my wife snap on my way out the door for my last workout Last Saturday. Still not happy with my conditioning. I'm really not going to stress about it. I'm just going to do as much as I can do and whatever that gets me to show up at, that's what I'll take.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Still got just under 4 weeks until the BIG show. well.. big for me.

kind of hard to tell with the shorts, but your lower back looks much tighter!

Are you planning on doing hiit every day?

kind of hard to tell with the shorts, but your lower back looks much tighter!

Are you planning on doing hiit every day?

Yeah I didn't really plan on using those as progress shots. I notice I'm getting a little tight too, but still I have a ways to go to look shrink wrapped. I'll try to get some legit progress shots this weekend.

Yeah I plan on doing 1 session of low impact HIIT each day on top of my hour of low intensity. Either bike or elliptical

You are looking great bro!

I just went back and reread some of your log. I very much enjoy reading about your workouts and diet including the changes. Thx for the detail!

I hope to run some slin during the summer and going to follow Mike's shake protocol also. Seems it does well.

I see you deal with truenutrition pretty much only using them? Do they have a formula that contains some/most of that stack you used for the shakes around workouts? I would love to simplify as much as I can

You are looking great bro!

I just went back and reread some of your log. I very much enjoy reading about your workouts and diet including the changes. Thx for the detail!

I hope to run some slin during the summer and going to follow Mike's shake protocol also. Seems it does well.

I see you deal with truenutrition pretty much only using them? Do they have a formula that contains some/most of that stack you used for the shakes around workouts? I would love to simplify as much as I can

Thanks man. That's what I wanted this for, to help others and receive some help myself.

Truenutrition used to allow you to make custom supp mixes, but looks like they mainly do carb/protein mixes for the custom stuff now. I just like to buy all those things separate, get a 5 gram scooper and it's simple. everything is pretty close to 5 gram increments in the shake protocol. For things that are like 2-3g, just fill it half way, doesn't have to be perfect. If I could afford more of it, I would buy more of their Karboload for my shake carbs. I had to start using gatorade powder when I ran out.

You might be able to email them and tell them what kind of formula you are looking to put together and see what they can create for you. I know they have good customer service and have heard people going about this before. Hope that helps man.

Hey man I feel you on the whole everyone is annoying front. I don't have anything as stressful as selling my home to deal with, but little stuff just irks me way more than usual. You look in great shape for the big show, I don't see anything stopping you from being in that shape you want. When you get the chance, mind talking a bit about how the HIIT cardio has been working for you? I won't be implementing it this prep, but I really want to look into it for the future.

Hey man I feel you on the whole everyone is annoying front. I don't have anything as stressful as selling my home to deal with, but little stuff just irks me way more than usual. You look in great shape for the big show, I don't see anything stopping you from being in that shape you want. When you get the chance, mind talking a bit about how the HIIT cardio has been working for you? I won't be implementing it this prep, but I really want to look into it for the future.

Thanks for the encouragement. Besides what is going on in my life, I feel most of my stress is from torturing myself, feeling like crap and hungry all the time, BUT at the same time feeling like progress is crawling. Maybe I've screwed myself with my lack of experience. But I've tapered up my clen to 200 this week, don't feel shit, ephedrine once or twice a day at 30mg, yohimbine now7.5mg 2-3 times a day, and my T3 has been just over 100mcg, I've tapered my T3 down to 50mcg starting yesterday. That's probably making me appear more flat. I've been less lean before and had MORE vascularity, especially in my calves. As lean as I am, my vascularity isn't impressing me when I KNOW i am usually more vascular. My sodium is high enough, water is over 6 liters. I'm going to take all next week off of clen too. Try to take benedryl every night.

My diet is like this for the most part right now.

WAKE UP
30-40 mins low intensity cardio - Water with ~10g BCAA(sometimes)/3g Taurine/3g Acetyl L-Carnitine

7:30/8:00am - 10g fat/ 50g pro
1030am - 50-60g pro/green veggies
130pm - 50-60g pro/green veggies
430pm 60g pro/50g Carbs

6pm- workout - 3L water with 10g BCAA/20g hydro whey/10g creatine/2-3g beta alanine/6g glutamine/3g Taurine/3g Acetyl L-Carnitine (basically the slin shake without slin or carbs)
20mins HIIT

8:00pm/8:30pm - 60g pro/50g carbs
11:30pm 50g pro/20g fat
30-40 mins Low intensity cardio

So my food is damn low I feel... Maybe that's what has fucked me.

IF this diet truly is that hard on my body, my negative feedback mechanisms may be kicking in earlier in the week after my skipload. If this is true, then I will be hitting a plateau sooner in the week. I have considered just doing TWO CHEAT meals during the course of the week. Something I have thought about, but John Meadows video really pushed me in that direction too.

here is that link.. mountaindog1's channel - YouTube

As for the HIIT, I guess it's going alright. Not really affecting my recover or performance. Actually on Monday after my skipload, my legs were strong as fuck. My tight knees actually feel better. I was doing what is normally pretty "heavy" for me, and I was busting out 12-15 without grueling effort. Still burned like a bitch, but didn't kick my ass. Just after killing legs, I burn up so much glycogen, I drop 6lbs the next morning.

Here is the link to Layne Norton's radio show. You'll see the the second broadcast in the list on the cardio. That's the one that talks about HIIT, the others are very good too I think...

Muscle College

Another good ass radio show that used to be on RX Muscle but I think he moved to another site, is Brian Cunningham's Quantum Physiques.

Thx for the update on your diet! I am following something close just no where near your conditioning! :)

pro/fats during day with veggies mixed in small carb meal pre (2 hours for me) sometimes 20g powdered carbs with post shake and around 50-75g carbs last meal.

My cardio is up to 30-40 mins fasted walking with some other stuff subbed in like crossramp or eliptical and I've been adding a little short sessions of hiit post WO or medium intensity. Never really did fasted cardio. Using some t3, bcaa, yoh and glutamine during this time. I also do EC stack but break it up from workouts by an hour or 2.

Trying carb cycling of 125-175 with a big eats day once a week but need to minimize this cuase i over do it! :banghead:

Thanks for the link man - listening to that show really got me thinking. I almost want to throw out my fasted low intensity cardio and just try a few sessions of HIIT...just too much of a chicken to try it this close to my show. I might throw one or two sessions of HIIT in this weekend though and see if it'll get rid of my last bit of fat.

Home stretch!

Well, I've tried the couple chest meals so far instead of full loading just to see what happens. I can only go a few days until I feel like shit. I seriously feel like I can't make it through the day. My whole body feels heavy and I feel sickly. So I had my mid week cheat just now even with my first show on Saturday. Guess what I had?? 12 dollars worth of McDonalds Hahaha. I was full and my heart was racing but I feel like a million bucks now. I'm gonna go kill back right now. My day is a million times better now. This was a pic for my wife but look what happened. For some reason my vascularity has been shit. I've been way fatter and had twice as much vascularity. Last prep it was crazy. Maybe I'm just super flat. But here is what some mccy D's did. Plus some tanning bed heat.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364338522734.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364338522734.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 191
I guess I just feel like shit. I feel small. I feel I don't look that great. Negativity is just seaping in from all angles.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75