advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

A question for you big big big mofo's....

waynaferd

Banned
I'm curious as to what weights you guys are using on average for reps for bench, squats, and deadlifts, and what your 1RM are.

I know diet and rest and supps all play a very important role, but I know heavy-ass weights must be involved to get humungo.

Thank you!!

i cant say for sure because im not big but my guess would be 405+ chest for reps and sets, and 495+ for deads and squats. At least three sets of 6-8 with these movements.

here we go again

I'm curious as to what weights you guys are using on average for reps for bench, squats, and deadlifts, and what your 1RM are.

I know diet and rest and supps all play a very important role, but I know heavy-ass weights must be involved to get humungo.

Thank you!!

no....you absolutely don't need to lift heavy to get big. my arms are the best they've ever been at age 55. i use ridiculously light weights and could care less what other people lift. i've been around gyms forever and i've seen a ton of big muscled guys that use moderate weights and a ton of guys that look barely athletic bang out 350 for 10 reps on the bench. imho there is way too much emphasis put on how much you lift rather than how you lift. diet and genetics are the key factors to determine how you grow. 165 lb power lifters routinely bench well into the 400's and 220 lb bodybuilders sometimes are lucky to hit mid 300's.

no....you absolutely don't need to lift heavy to get big. my arms are the best they've ever been at age 55. i use ridiculously light weights and could care less what other people lift. i've been around gyms forever and i've seen a ton of big muscled guys that use moderate weights and a ton of guys that look barely athletic bang out 350 for 10 reps on the bench. imho there is way too much emphasis put on how much you lift rather than how you lift. diet and genetics are the key factors to determine how you grow. 165 lb power lifters routinely bench well into the 400's and 220 lb bodybuilders sometimes are lucky to hit mid 300's.

I have to disagree. Speaking in terms of odds... If you randomly picked 10 guys who can squat 5-6 plates ass to ankles for a set of 10... the majority would have more leg development than a guy who squats 315 for 15.

By that, I don't mean "guy A" versus "guy B". I mean if you take guy A's potential versus guy B's protential. If I didn't live as heavy as I did, I would not be the size I am. If you can life lighter weights and just do "more stuff" in the gym, you're genetically gifted.

There are plenty of guys who can throw up singles and double with heavy weight who aren't big. That's more neuromuscular adaptation than it is hypertrophy. But sets of 6-20... You can't honestly say that any 250lb bodybuilder with 6% bodyfat is going to be curling 50's unless he's REALLY close to precontest or his name is Paul Dillett.

Heavy weights with big food with a certain amount of volume will yield the best mass results.

i believe that reguardless of where you start...and im stealing this line......the one who makes the greatest strength gains in a given period of time will make the largest gains in mass.....thanks Dante.

Doesnt this fall in... " everyone is different"

some grow on heavy ass weight.. and some grow more on lightweight?

i see sheeelby

Doesnt this fall in... " everyone is different"

some grow on heavy ass weight.. and some grow more on lightweight?

This is so true, I lifted with a powerlifter he grew but I didn't and that was lifting heavy ass weights, 435 bench, 565 squat and 405 deads. I find my muscles respond better to moderate weights with very strict lifting.

This is so true, I lifted with a powerlifter he grew but I didn't and that was lifting heavy ass weights, 435 bench, 565 squat and 405 deads. I find my muscles respond better to moderate weights with very strict lifting.

same here, i also grow much better when train 3 days a week, 4 tops

For me...I always train heavy, and thats relative, but i train heavy and thats what i feel makes me grow the best.

For me personally, it is about weight...I do not grow without going heavy. The heavier I lift the hungier I get, the more I eat and the bigger I get...
I am a quality over quantity lifter...I keep my bodyfat down as much as possible...and being in the military their idea of "big" weight is not the same as the rest of the world...

your arms are the best they have ever been? Well im not saying they dont but i think you look better in your avi then here and this pic was more recent i believe

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/members-photos/48449-just-nice-day-niagara-falls.html

i firmly believe you have to be progressive with weights to get bigger thicker stronger, however you want to say it. Just adding lean mass in general requires progress and progress is beating the log book or your previous best.

june

your arms are the best they have ever been? Well im not saying they dont but i think you look better in your avi then here and this pic was more recent i believe

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/members-photos/48449-just-nice-day-niagara-falls.html

i firmly believe you have to be progressive with weights to get bigger thicker stronger, however you want to say it. Just adding lean mass in general requires progress and progress is beating the log book or your previous best.

hard to say for me anyway. that pic was taken in june and since then i've leaned out somewhat and feel at this point i have more fullness and better shape than the avatar pic. of course the conditions are different too considering the quality of the avatar pic is professional with tanning, lighting, and a bit of a pump. i'm just thrilled to death i still have hair on my head since there is considerable time between the two pics. i would have to agree there should at least be a progression if not in weight then in intensity. a light weight gets pretty gruelling when it is set number 7 for high reps with only 45 seconds between sets.

I agree the person that squats 4 or 5 plates per side for 6 to 10 reps will have bigger legs than the same person who does leg extentions. Heavy compound movements will build bigger overall mass compared to lighter isolated movements.

With all that being said, i think most people focus too much on the amount instead of the quality. I saw a huge mofo at the gym last week that could have easily curled twice as much weight as anyone in they gym, and he was using about half the weight i expected him to use but he was using slow, perfect form and had a pump out of this world.

I kept watching him throughout my workout and he always used less weight than i thought he would but continued to use perfectly, strict, slow movements. Contrary to the IDIOTS next to him that scream at the top of their lungs on every rep (Even warm up reps) and were using more body english than they were using muscle.

All in all, i think there is something to say about using perfect form no matter what weight you use. KS

Last edited:
Lift big, eat big, rest big. Always worked for me.

Johnnie Jackson, Dave Henry, Ronnie Coleman all have great backs.... they pull and, damn it, they pull heavy.

Dorian didn't do Yates rows with 135 lbs, did he?

Arnold didn't bench press 185 for his heaviest sets, did he?

Kevin Levrone..... was he strong at shoulder pressing?

For the guys who are getting big using lighter weights.... perhaps you're performing more sets & reps + better form, which = more work being performed?

x2. I'd rather look like I bench press a house than to actually be able to bench press a house and be so fat that I can't see my own weiner.

I started training to get chicks. Chicks couldn't care less how strong a guy is...unless I missed the episode of Sex And The City where the girls proclaim that they only bang guys that bench 400lbs+????

Lifting heavy weights impresses dudes in the gym though-and if that's what you are shooting for-more power to your homo-gayness. j/k :p

Its not heavy or lightweights, it´s progrresive weights what makes you grow, you use weights progressively heavier and that makes you big, of course eventually you are going to be lifting a lot of weight for reps but the key is never allow the weight to stagnate, a muscle that grows is a muscle that can perform better

x2. I'd rather look like I bench press a house than to actually be able to bench press a house and be so fat that I can't see my own weiner.

I started training to get chicks. Chicks couldn't care less how strong a guy is...unless I missed the episode of Sex And The City where the girls proclaim that they only bang guys that bench 400lbs+????

Lifting heavy weights impresses dudes in the gym though-and if that's what you are shooting for-more power to your homo-gayness. j/k :p

Bravo! Well said. LOL...

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75