over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

A reflection on my journey

Jblack

Featured Member
Featured Member
Registered
I wanted to share a thought I have had lately on where I am currently in life and what got me here. Some of you know my story of being born with a rare bone disease Osteogenesis Imperfecta (brittle bones) and how only 50,000 of us in the US have it. I have sustained over 90 fractures in my 34 years of life and have had 18 surgeries to walk again. Back in August I went to the US National Conference for OI and met fellow PM member Bio, who got me in touch with the OIF (Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation) for me to speak to the teenagers who have OI. Ever since that conference the messages, texts and emails I get from parents, to adults, to the kids with OI telling me how I am inspirational and make them realize they can do whatever they want. To the doctors who want to study me and find out how I built my body up when all medical literature says it is impossible - has overwhelmed me.

I spend a lot of time journaling because I feel that is a key to growing personally and I keep coming back to the same conclusion over and over again - that I did what I was supposed to do.

At age 9 the doctors told me after enduring a few devastating surgeries to repair my legs that I would more than likely be wheelchair bound for the rest of my life and at the very least crutches or canes. It was then that I swore I would figure out a way to walk again if it killed me. My mom was a little ahead of the curve and honestly hated the fact I was so skinny and weak so she hired me a personal trainer towards the end of age 9 to begin helping me get my upper body stronger to use my wheel chair and take care of myself. Slowly but surely I got a little bit stronger and a little more motivated. At age 11 (1991) my mom was reading about this drug called Protropin (192 AA GH) and how it was showing promising studies to help children grow. My mom wanted me to be as normal as possible so she fought long and hard to get the insurance company to approve me taking this drug and I was on Protropin from 11 to 16. Funny thing is when I was on protropin my fractures ceased. At age 16 - the insurance company declined me taking it anymore because the FDA said it was not a treatable drug for my condition. About 3 months after coming off of Protropin I snapped my left tib and fib playing pickup basketball. Yep the brittle bone kid had managed to get to the point where he could play basketball and keep up.

Now let me back track a little bit - in 1994, I was 14 and strolling through a local supermarket with my mom and saw a Flex magazine with Dorian Yates on the cover and I wanted to be him so I had my mom buy me the magazine and devoured it! I became a student to weight lifting and learned everything I possibly could. My freshman year was in 1995 and weighed in at 56 pounds soaking wet at a height of 5 foot even. By my senior year in 1999 I weighed 165 but a chunky 165 and a strong 165 so I was tickled shitless and my mom was thrilled with how I managed to become in her eyes normal where no one could tell anything was wrong with me at al.

So all the back story leads me to where I am today. I have spoken to a few people in the OI community and some doctors and they tell me what I have done is impossible especially with how I got from point A to Point B. I told them at age 19 I began taking gh again and low dose dbol (10mg a day) and deca 200mg a day. I did that off and on till I decided to get into competiting in 2006. At the time I was dumb when I competed in 2006 and did nothing but deca and dbol the entire prep 12 weeks and managed to place 5th in my state show (lightweight) and 5th the previous week in a weight class up to 187.5 (novice) out of 17 guys. So as you can imagine cloud 9 because I never could play any sports but I found something that I could blend in and do good in.

I struggle with how to take what I know and let others know. One doctor out of 5 is willing to listen to me and do some trials on me with actual pharma grade gh but his condition is to bone graph every bone in my body and a bunch of other shit. The pain does not bother me one bit, but more of the small incisions all over and just the downtime turns me off. I shared in a private group on FB in the OI community about what I have done and literally was burned alive at the stake. Because medical science says this and the doctors say that, yet I stand in my position - a position of defiance and shake my head at being so naïve. I want to literally scream to them that while they sit in a wheelchair swallowing 100 pills a day and do stage 3 FDA clinical trials on shit that we do not even works I am over here living a full and healthy life.

I guess this is more just me venting, but I realized in my reflection that no I did not do anything special at all. I am just a fool hearted bastard who lets his heart chase foolish dreams while conditioning my mind to not accept failure of any kind. I love this sport and it has given me everything I never knew would be possible. I also love this board and with all the negativity lately I wanted to post something positive because you all - the members of PM, have been instrumental in making me the better student of the sport today than I was back in 2010 when I officially joined and quit lurking. Thank you all again for being the supportive crazy bunch of people a guy chasing a fool- hearted dream could ask for.

Now I have a little over 9weeks till my first show and with any hope will try my hands at Jr Nats one more time if I can get my finances and such right.

Keep chasing your dreams and your pursuit of perfection - its your happiness after all.

-Jeff

Jeff,

Love reading your story man! The definition of perseverance is YOU!!!

Keep getting it brotha

Jeff,

Love reading your story man! The definition of perseverance is YOU!!!

Keep getting it brotha

Thanks my man. I struggle with the role model thing among my community, but I am slowly figuring out the path I must forge. Thank you for the kind comments. I just am doing what my heart says and in that regards I know I will always be happy.

Really Inspiring!!

Way to go Jeff, NEVER GIVE UP, and don't let others decide just how far you can go. Leave that up to your own will and to God. You're an incredible inspiration. Best of luck in your show and keep us posted.

your brother in Christ,

Lucky

Jeff you know how much respect I have for you. Being a part of the OI community, I'm referring to myself, and seeing your story on RX Muscle blew me away! The fact that we've become friends is a great bonus!! I was so glad that you attended conference. I knew there would be those that view you the same way I do and also knew there would be those that would demonize you...Remember what that older lady said when you told her that there were parents saying that you were dangerous? She said, "FUCK 'EM". You and I got a big laugh out of that.

Keep doing what you're doing...You will always be the walking, living, breathing truth...You are your own example!

For those that aren't familiar with Jeff or need a refresher, here's a link to a thread I posted about the OI Conference that Jeff and I attended...http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/professional-muscle-forum/117999-jeff-black-your-own-hero.html

always GREAT to see someone using their own brain instead of being a complete sheep to doctors "advice", which often leads to a miserable life.

ive seen it countless times in my own family, doctors giving wrong advice, wrong medication, wrong treatment and drastically decreasing health and life quality of my relatives and beloved ones.

-wrong diabetes treatment for both of my grandmas
-failed brain surgery and ongoing treatment for my aunt.
-nearly killing my girlfriend by carelessly scheduling vaccinations while she was being treated with high dose cortisone and had essentially no immune system... the doc didnt even ask for her healthcare record.

couldnt do anything for the first two examples but i mightve saved my gfs health or even life by forcing her to tell the nurse about her treatment, which led to them cancelling all vaccinations

concerning my own life:
if my mother listened to what all doctors told her when she was pregnant i wouldve not even been born.
wouldve been a miscarriage in the 4th month (long story).

i wouldve also died by the age of 2 from pneumonia that literally only the 10th doctor my mother saw was able to diagnose.

just a few examples from my own life which led to me not EVER trusting doctors without questioning and researching EVERYTHING by myself.
caused a fucked up relationship to the health care system, but its better this way.

kind of a rambling here but its a topic that really fucks me up everytime i think about it.
there was literally not a single situation in my life where i could trust the one profession that should actually take care of your health.

keep it up brother, stay strong, make your own decisions, use your own brain, take care of your own health... its your life, live it on your terms !

Jeff you know how much respect I have for you. Being a part of the OI community, I'm referring to myself, and seeing your story on RX Muscle blew me away! The fact that we've become friends is a great bonus!! I was so glad that you attended conference. I knew there would be those that view you the same way I do and also knew there would be those that would demonize you...Remember what that older lady said when you told her that there were parents saying that you were dangerous? She said, "FUCK 'EM". You and I got a big laugh out of that.

Keep doing what you're doing...You will always be the walking, living, breathing truth...You are your own example!

For those that aren't familiar with Jeff or need a refresher, here's a link to a thread I posted about the OI Conference that Jeff and I attended...http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/professional-muscle-forum/117999-jeff-black-your-own-hero.html

Thank you Bio. Your kind words and support keep me fueled to keep going even in the face of the OI community.

always GREAT to see someone using their own brain instead of being a complete sheep to doctors "advice", which often leads to a miserable life.

ive seen it countless times in my own family, doctors giving wrong advice, wrong medication, wrong treatment and drastically decreasing health and life quality of my relatives and beloved ones.

-wrong diabetes treatment for both of my grandmas
-failed brain surgery and ongoing treatment for my aunt.
-nearly killing my girlfriend by carelessly scheduling vaccinations while she was being treated with high dose cortisone and had essentially no immune system... the doc didnt even ask for her healthcare record.

couldnt do anything for the first two examples but i mightve saved my gfs health or even life by forcing her to tell the nurse about her treatment, which led to them cancelling all vaccinations

concerning my own life:
if my mother listened to what all doctors told her when she was pregnant i wouldve not even been born.
wouldve been a miscarriage in the 4th month (long story).

i wouldve also died by the age of 2 from pneumonia that literally only the 10th doctor my mother saw was able to diagnose.

just a few examples from my own life which led to me not EVER trusting doctors without questioning and researching EVERYTHING by myself.
caused a fucked up relationship to the health care system, but its better this way.

kind of a rambling here but its a topic that really fucks me up everytime i think about it.
there was literally not a single situation in my life where i could trust the one profession that should actually take care of your health.

keep it up brother, stay strong, make your own decisions, use your own brain, take care of your own health... its your life, live it on your terms !

You are so correct my man. I appreciate you commenting. I am glad I just have the faith in myself to just do what is best for me and my future. There are never any guarantees with anything obviously, but at least my choices let me rest my head easy on my pillow at night - which is all that matters to me.

Jeff,

Thanks for posting this. You have an amazing story of victory! dont let others try to forcefeed their BS down your throat... You know what has worked for you since you were a kid and you continue to prove it by your life... I'm very inspired!

True inspiration! Keep defying the odds!

It does make me mad about how the medical field is.

So inspiring !!! I have heard your story before but now was a good time to read it again, I have been at a little bit of a low point for a few months. Im going to use your story as motivation to get off my ass and make things happen for myself !!!

Good luck in the show you have coming up !!!

Many of you know what Jeff has overcome to be the person and bodybuilder he is today. One thing that hasn't really been talked about, that wasn't easy for him, was suddenly identifying himself as the guy/bodybuilder with OI. The fact is, Jeff had done all he could to distance himself from this disease. His main goal in life was to be "normal". Here's a quote from the "Be Your Own Hero" thread where Jeff touched on this..."Its odd to me still because bodybuilding enabled me to be normal and not seen for a disability or handicapped." I bring this up because when I first contacted Jeff in 2010, I was asking him to embrace his accomplishments as a person with OI! This is not something he had identified with for some time...At least not publicly. I passionately wanted him to tell his story at conference because he had done something that shouldn't have been possible...And if he could do it, how many more could be inspired to overcome, at least to some degree, the crippling and debilitating side effects of OI! So suddenly, after a lifetime of distancing himself from having a disease or handicap, he would now be publicly identified as Jeff Black the bodybuilder with OI...Actually Dave Palumbo and Rx Muscle were the first to have Jeff identify himself publicly as having OI...That's the article that caused my jaw to drop and seek him out!

Another thing that made all of this even more daunting for Jeff was something he shared with me back in 2010...At that point in his life, he had never met another person with OI! Here I was telling him what an impact he could have on the kids with OI and the adults as well...Hell, the entire community, but I didn't really take into account what I was asking him to do! I wanted him to come to a national conference and put himself into the midst of thousands of people and a disease that he's done his best to distance himself from! That's a pretty profound thing!! Most of us are geared toward the pursuit of comfort, just as Jeff was with being "normal".

Now, if all of that wasn't enough, during this same period, Jeff was contacted by an ex-girlfriend and told he has a three year old son who has OI!! Without going into detail, Jeff gained custody of his "new" son. He already has another son who is the eldest. Take a look at Jeff's blog, he tells a very amusing story about suddenly being the parent of a child with OI and now living the life of his mother!...**broken link removed**

Happily, Jeff overcame any anxiety and trepidation he had and actually found comfort at the conference. It was just another mountain moved by a man that has moved many! I'm always inspired by him and more than proud to call him a friend!!

You're a true inspiration brother love reading your story. Helps put the little things into perspective

Indeed, thanks for this perspective and inspiration as well. I bitch about my little shoulder problems, constantly tingling fingers, and back pain, but am actually very fortunate and shouldn't gripe at all. I think it's great that you've done so well given your externally imposed limitations, and it certainly is a lesson in perseverance!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbmike99
NapsGear