advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

A very unconventional question about carbs...

Diesed

Registered
I have always, for the past forever, adhered to the complex over simple refined carb sources when consuming them throughout the day, save for post w/o, as I'm sure most if not all of you do as well. Reasons being for the steady energy levels, no rapid spikes in insulin, fibre etc. I could go on as you all know the traditional view on this topic from a bb standpoint. Anyhow, this past week my entire belief system regarding this has been shaken to the core. I have always been very anal regarding diet and never deviated from the above "golden standard) so to speak when it comes to simple vs complement carbs for my bb goals. However!, I have went on vacation this past week for the first time ever in my life, and decided to relax on my diet just for this week and eat whatever I feel lik, which has equated to a very traditional north American diet I.e white breads and pasta, sugary drinks, ice cream, chocolate etc. You get what I'm saying. I don't know wtf, but I look and feel WAY better then when on my complex carb dense diet. For instance, I ate an entire pizza on white dough one day, a bunch of white bread sandwiches/burgers/subs another day, all the while consuming sugary drinks and chocolate and candy throughout intermittently, and everyday I wake up with an empty stomach looking dry, lean and vascular, and I maintain this look throughout the entire day as well. Oh, and my digestion and energy feels great too. I'm confused lol. I always noticed I seemed a little watery all day when eating my traditional meals at home with oats and other such complex carbs, but never thought much of it, as I had never tried anything different like this. I also always noticed whenever I decided to have a cheat meal at home (usually at night) I would wake up looking and feeling the same as described above, but always assumed I'd never get away with this on a daily basis, but experience has shown me otherwise this week. Can someone please shed some light on this, as to my knowledge, it flies in the face of traditional bb diet rules.

Thank you

im the same way....was always eating slow carbs...mainly oats and eziekel bread as carb choices....always watery/bloated

switched to home made mashed potatoes as only carb source for 7 weeks...except for cheat meals

got the same results you mention...got leaner aswell on the same daily calories due to fasting

I think what you are experiencing is the super-compensation of carbs going into muscle tissue.

In the beginning, you look and feel great...but go ahead continue on....with enough time, your body will eventually fill every square inch with glucose, and eventually you will begin to spill over, gain bloat and gain fat.

Good things dont last forever :D

well for me they lasted since last august...so bout a year

as long as you keep your daily cals where they need to be its all good

of course my diet is strict and i def aint eatin the shit the op was eating on his vacation

Last edited:
there are LOTS of people who use white potatoes, white rice, white bread

over sweet potatoes, brown rice and wheat bread, and oats

i get stomach issues when eating large servings of complex carbs multiple times a day, and my metabolism is OK, so when im offseason I eat a lot of regular rice and potato, nothing wrong with that

idk about chocolate and pizza everyday, making a habit of eating a lot of simple carbs WITH bhad fats is not going to be good. you will fill out sure, but make a habit of it and you will just get fat

Last edited:
It doesn't matter brown vs white rice, sweet vs white potato. Eat what you like.

I think what you are experiencing is the super-compensation of carbs going into muscle tissue.

In the beginning, you look and feel great...but go ahead continue on....with enough time, your body will eventually fill every square inch with glucose, and eventually you will begin to spill over, gain bloat and gain fat.

Good things dont last forever :D

Thanks for the input jj, but not sure I agree with you. Reason I say this is I haven't hit the gym or done performed any form of strenuous activity for over a week, therefore haven't depleted glycogen stores to be able to refil them as you suggest. Hell, I barely even walk lol. Just eat like this all day, drive around and sleep. I do feel however that my daily cals have hovered around the same. I will continue with this, albeit in a modified way, meaning without the daily pizza, chocolate etc. basically just switch all my complex sources of carbs to refined, I.e. Ezekiel bread to white, yams to white pots etc.

Thank you for the input though!

I think most diets out there, eating only high protein, low carbs high glycemic, blah blah has a lot of BS bro science in it. After a workout I always have a protein shake and some cookies or some kind of sugar. Then I want an insulin spike to drive nutrients. I started doing more calorie cycling with low carb on the low cal days. I`m keeping strength to getting stronger, leaner every day, and on my 2 normal calorie days I try to keep it clean but there will be some taco bell in there once a week, some pizza, bagels.. AND I`m getting leaner AND maintaining all my muscle.

I think after more than 2 weeks of eating that kind of stuff you it will change. Look up the ABCD diet, only diet I ever seen to be backed by blood work to show eating excess (for short time) is anabolic.

well for me they lasted since last august...so bout a year

as long as you keep your daily cals where they need to be its all good

of course my diet is strict and i def aint eatin the shit the op was eating on his vacation

Very interesting mg, I had a feeling others would chime in with similar experiences. As I stated to jj, I'm not going to continue wi the "shit" food so to speak, just with refined versions of what I normally consume

there are LOTS of people who use white potatoes, white rice, white bread

over sweet potatoes, brown rice and wheat bread, and oats

i get stomach issues when eating large servings of complex carbs multiple times a day, and my metabolism is OK, so when im offseason I eat a lot of regular rice and potato, nothing wrong with that

idk about chocolate and pizza everyday, making a habit of eating a lot of simple carbs WITH bhad fats is not going to be good. you will fill out sure, but make a habit of it and you will just get fat

Exactly in bold. I remember seeing a video of one of Dante's guys I believe (may have been dusty?) and he was preparing his off season meals using white pots over yams as his carb source. I do agree eating exactly as I am now would lead to fat gain for sure over time, but I'm more referring to the source of carb

When it comes to white vs Brown etc is very individual. I ate white rice for quite a while as I assumed it was easiest to digest. Switched to Brown as I wanted to feel more full and digestion actually improved was more regular and stomach flattened out a little

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

When it comes to white vs Brown etc is very individual. I ate white rice for quite a while as I assumed it was easiest to digest. Switched to Brown as I wanted to feel more full and digestion actually improved was more regular and stomach flattened out a little

That's interesting, and I will be experimenting with white vs brown rice too. Although I will have to try both, as I've never used any form of rice as a carb staple. Always been mainly an oats guy with the occasional breads thrown in

its simple eat more calories then you expel = gain weight
eat less calories then you burn = lose weight
losing higher percentages of fat and gaining higher percentages of muscle are a lot more difficult to achieve.

If you were bloated on the carbs you were eating pervious you could have just been eating too much of it or they didn't agree with you in the first place.

What about getting away from all complex and just eat fibrous vegetables and fruit

its simple eat more calories then you expel = gain weight
eat less calories then you burn = lose weight
losing higher percentages of fat and gaining higher percentages of muscle are a lot more difficult to achieve.

If you were bloated on the carbs you were eating pervious you could have just been eating too much of it or they didn't agree with you in the first place.

What about getting away from all complex and just eat fibrous vegetables and fruit

Too much certainly wasn't/isn't the issue, as im always a low to moderate carb guy (pretty sensitive) 100-150/day. It would be hard for me to go the all veg/fruit route, only from a mental standpoint

Insulin resistance takes time to develop, keep eating that diet and see what happens. Your insulin resistance was super low because of your clean diet, this is why you got such a good response.

Insulin resistance takes time to develop, keep eating that diet and see what happens. Your insulin resistance was super low because of your clean diet, this is why you got such a good response.

when you say this, are you referring to the "junk" I.e pizza/chocolate, or are you referring to the simple/refined carbs? I ask because my op refers mostly to the carb source I.e. simple vs complex, not the crap food

This I totally agree with and is the reason I keep my carbs as complex as possible. Also shelby only Let's me have just enough to grow which helps. I now use mixed veg, Apple, banana and Brown basmati rice and add cinimon to every carb meal. When cutting I lose the rice altogether and is just veg apple and banana as theseare themost filing per gram of carbfor me.Maintaing insulin sensitivity makes growing easier and cutting less frequent. I look fucking shredded after a cheat meal but do it every day and things will change quite fast lol

I generally eat lots of meat, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. I consume starchy complex carbs around my workouts and to be honest I've never really noticed a difference if the carb source is my wifes lasagna or a chocolate bar.

I'm sure if my diet was 100% cake and I was 6% bodyfat then I'd see a different result but with the starchy/complex carbs around my workouts I don't really see much difference in the mirror.

when you say this, are you referring to the "junk" I.e pizza/chocolate, or are you referring to the simple/refined carbs? I ask because my op refers mostly to the carb source I.e. simple vs complex, not the crap food

Think it probably depends on amount of carbs. If your growing on Let's say 250g of carbs insulin resistance shouldn't be an issue full stop off your training hard and doing some cardio and staying somewhat lean. If your a bigger guy that needs 600g of carbs to grow I think the more complex the better. Some decent solid food protein and healthy slow digesting fats with each meal will help s lot too

30yrs ago I watched and trained with guys in the gym who were taking much smaller doses then today of test,deca,d-bols and anadrol that had complete shit diets pizza,chinese,Mcdonalds and carvel milk shakes look dam good muscular and lean. I don't know if the gear was better guys trained harder 6days a week or the exact answer. Most of us are in our late 40's early fiftys all have kids still train and even blast a couple of times a year. We had no pct shit diets but trained hard. Enjoy training don't take the enjoyment out and turn it into a science project.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear