over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Aaargh I'm so fucking confused!

Convict

Newbies
I'm just getting into recreational bodybuilding now my sporting career has come to an end.

I've been reading up and I'm still confused and need some advice...

What, in your opinion, is the best workout for a noob like me? Some people advocate HIT but I'm not really lifting weights that are heavy enough to make that work.

Should I be doing volume training? Whole body or split? What is best for initial mass gain? Sets and reps? Compound or isolation? Something like Starting Strength or maybe Big A's beginner workout?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

I have been doing it (Big A's workout) but wanted to make sure that it's right for me because I'm not shifting much iron. It doesn't feel like I'm really pushing myself with my piddly little 30kg incline dumbbell press... but I can't lift any more weight at the moment!

I wondered if more volume would help but I guess I was looking for a quick fix - a silver bullet. I guess it's a long term endeavour - up the weights and the gains will come... (I hope!)

Thanks for the reply Quad-smack.

You said it best in your post. There is no silver bullet. It's all about persistence, I coach High School kids and I say the same thing.

Just need to find something that works and stick with it for a bit. That's the silver bullet finding something that works for you and doing it to it's fullest. The rest is history.

-Huge

It really is patience and consistency... I don't think your ready for the "silver bullet" yet!;)

I'm just getting into recreational bodybuilding now my sporting career has come to an end.

I've been reading up and I'm still confused and need some advice...

What, in your opinion, is the best workout for a noob like me? Some people advocate HIT but I'm not really lifting weights that are heavy enough to make that work.

Should I be doing volume training? Whole body or split? What is best for initial mass gain? Sets and reps? Compound or isolation? Something like Starting Strength or maybe Big A's beginner workout?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

You're allowed to experiment, try different things - the only thing you are not allowed to do is miss workouts or half-ass it.

I'm not sure there is one program that is best for everyone. For a beginner, I tend to think 10-15 reps, 2-3 sets, compound movements are generally the way to go.

I think the Arthur Jones/HIT stuff is a bit "cultish" and limited, but has some good concepts (getting enough rest is key, intensity is important, etc.). Most people seem to do better on more volume than a super-intense 25 minute workout permits.

Then the question is: full-body 3x per week or split (2 on/ 1 off, or 3 on/1 off)? Maybe do a couple of months full-body, and then try a split.

Eventually, most people end up with a split routine.

Most people look for the "Silver Bullet" in the gym. While training structure, volume and frequency are very important - most don't grasp that training is just the "primer" for growth. Growth occurs at the table and in bed.
Over-training is almost inevitable if you do not have good nutrition &/or sleep habits.

Is there a widely accepted full body routine of compound exercises that has been proven to work or can I just find a generic template from bodybuilding.com and use that?

I really enjoy being in the gym and working in multiple sets. Does anyone here know a good plan?

Most people seem to do better on more volume.

Really? Because I see most people overtrain and progress none by doing more volume. Come to my gym, there are tons of guys who do more volume, and they are lifting the same weights if not less than they were 6 months ago. I started DC training after the high volume approach didn't yield many gains and my strength and size went up quickly. Since most people do better on more volume, I guess I'm an exception? Don't think so

To the OP, what sport did you play? Lifting 30kg on the incline, were you a soccer player?

Last edited:
If the weight is heavy for you, you are training heavy.
It's all relative.

I recommend hiring a trainer online. It's the best thing you can do. I used to go back and forth wondering what routine to do, constantly changing things and not making much progress. I hired a trainer from another forum and results have been great. I go into the gym, do my work, and leave knowing I have done what I need to do without having to over think everything. It takes a lot of stress out of this lifestyle when you are under the guidance of an expert.
It's easy to follow someone's guidelines, its much more difficult to figure out everything on your own and hope that you are on the right track. My trainer costs me about $45 a month.

best place for you to start IMOP is Big A's routine. Keep a log book and progress in strength. give that a good year or 2 to work its magick. Oh follow the diet too.

Really? Because I see most people overtrain and progress none by doing more volume. Come to my gym, there are tons of guys who do more volume, and they are lifting the same weights if not less than they were 6 months ago. I started DC training after the high volume approach didn't yield many gains and my strength and size went up quickly. Since most people do better on more volume, I guess I'm an exception? Don't think so

To the OP, what sport did you play? Lifting 30kg on the incline, were you a soccer player?

DC training is for experienced lifters. For inexperienced lifters, more volume is a good starting point until they plateau.

I think my full quote was
. Most people seem to do better on more volume than a super-intense 25 minute workout permits.

You think 25 mins 2 times a week is enough for most people? Because that's what jones/darden advocate.

I agree that excessive volume is also counterproductive.

I think my full quote was

You think 25 mins 2 times a week is enough for most people? Because that's what jones/darden advocate.

I agree that excessive volume is also counterproductive.

Yates' workout before the Olympia was 4 minutes long each day ;)

Rich, yes I was a semi professional soccer player over here in the UK.

I'm fit in terms of aerobic and anaerobic running and technically skillful with a football. However, I have never really trained for strength due to my schedule (two games a week meant recovery was paramount) and any significant mass gains would be counterproductive.

I wouldn't say that I'm weak in terms of strength endurance (I can do 25 pull ups and 100 press ups for example) but my ability to lift weights is embarrassingly bad.

I will do Big A's workout. Thanks for the advice everyone :headbang:

I'm fit in terms of aerobic and anaerobic running and technically skillful with a football. However, I have never really trained for strength due to my schedule (two games a week meant recovery was paramount) and any significant mass gains would be counterproductive.

I wouldn't say that I'm weak in terms of strength endurance (I can do 25 pull ups and 100 press ups for example) but my ability to lift weights is embarrassingly bad.

I highly recommend Big A's routine. I have used it for a while now and I love it.

Good luck,

-Papa!-

I hope you didn't take what I said as a shot at you and your strength, if so, I apologize. I know that soccer is big in the UK and everywhere else except America, so I figured that was what you meant when you said your career was over. Yeah, Big A's plan is a great plan to start putting on size and increasing strength. Remember, this is not a sprint, it's a marathon. You won't wake up with 25lbs of muscle on you overnight or even in a couple months. Take your time, figure out what works for you and kill it in the gym, at the table, and get your rest.

Brutale, no disrespect was meant on my part. I believe I misread what you were saying after I went back and read it a few more times. I agree that the 3x split is the best for newer guys, gives you the right amount of rest and recuperation, which nobody wants to take when they first start

Being somewhat of a beginner myself, I know that when I work out 4-5 days a week that my muscles feel and look fuller but don't grow as well as when going every other day. And the gains come much better with the proper amount of rest.

No offence taken at all. I'm a beginner and I'm weak - those are facts. I'm coming into this sport as a total newb and it seems I've come to the right place with this forum.

When I was playing football, max strength and muscle mass were not on the list of priorities at all really. We trained for strength endurance and agility, but never really for maximal strength with any consistency.

The key attributes were technical ability and tactical awareness, fitness, stamina and endurance. Athletic performance was key: quicker sprinting, faster turning, rapid recovery between bouts of exertion...

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear