over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

AAS use leads to enlargement of Amygdala (Negative Emotions/Aggression) Study

thethinker48

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Found this neat article outlining findings on steroid users, and key neurological changes taking place from long term AAS use.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4458166/

The biggest thing to note was the increase in size of the right amygdala. This part of the brain is responsible for fear, aggression, negative emotions, and paranoia.

Yes androgens make us more aggressive, and stronger ones like tren make us the most aggressive. Right portion of the amygdala is thought to have more androgen receptors compared to the left, and other portions of the brain. Beta Amyloid toxicity is also a risk from androgens (plaque accumulation from this is linked to Alzheimers; connects back to that tren study)

"The apparently selective anatomical effect of AAS use on the amygdala is consistent with reports documenting that the amygdala contains among the highest androgen receptor mRNA densities in the brain"

Kind of makes sense why tren makes people lunatics.

Wonder if long term use plays a role in making people more emotional in general. Wish it would've dialed the emotions lower (almost shrinking the amygdala :) ); would've made life easier to deal with.

Do the experienced guys (10+ years) notice any personality changes that have occurred over time? Granted one's attitude and demeanor evolves over the course of his life.

"Moreover, hypogonadism, which is often prolonged in “off-cycle” AAS users (Coward et al., 2013; Kanayama et al., In press; Pope et al., 2014), can also elevate plasma β-amyloid levels (Almeida et al., 2004), and has been associated with Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and Huntington’s diseases (Hogervorst et al., 2004; Markianos et al., 2005; Okun et al., 2002). Hypogonadism could lead not only to persistently reduced systemic testosterone and estrogen levels, but also to reduced aromatase activity in some brain areas (Resko et al., 2000). In turn, brain aromatase activity reductions could reduce brain-derived estrogen levels, compromise neuroprotection (Liu et al., 2014; Veiga et al., 2005), and enhance AAS-amplified neurotoxicity"

So PCT and down swing of the HPTA from "coming off" is actually worse off for your brain from a toxicity standpoint.

:eek::)

Another reason to add against the PCT approach if you're doing this long term.

Sounds right.

Only the addicted will deny how their personality change under hormones.

Fuck.... all the talk of cardio vascular health, heart attacks, liver/kidney toxicity, and cholesterol were never as scary. For all of the above, there ARE offsetting behaviours and precautionary measures one can take to mitigate any long term health issues. If you just want to do a couple classic physique shows most of this won't be a huge life shortening concern anyway.

But changing your brain? That's terrifying. The way you feel mentally/emotionally/psychologically is the most important thing in life and much more difficult to offset. I wonder if there's any research on which compounds cause what kinds of structural changes? I'm guessing testosterone is one of the least offensive to the right amygdala and tren is among the most.

Sounds right.

Only the addicted will deny how their personality change under hormones.

I don't deny a change. Lol I felt better on pretty much everything. Especially high test with anadrol or dbol alongside. Superdrol and m1t would make me really tired after a few weeks though. Lunatic not even once though. Lol

There's one proven practice that reduces the size of the amygdala: meditation. It does NOT have to be a big 250 lb guy sitting in the lotus position saying 'ooommm' or anything like that. Just sit comfortably and focus on your breathing for 10 minutes, once or twice a day. Gradually increase the length of time.

It is such a pain in the ass to incorporate into your daily routine, but worth it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

But changing your brain? That's terrifying. The way you feel mentally/emotionally/psychologically is the most important thing in life and much more difficult to offset. I wonder if there's any research on which compounds cause what kinds of structural changes? I'm guessing testosterone is one of the least offensive to the right amygdala and tren is among the most.

I wouldn't worry about it. I know lots of older guys personally that seem completely normal and have been on for along time. If it was a real concern you would see it a lot more. I'm sure it raises the risk some small degree but like I said. If it was a high risk factor I would of seen it by now.

There's one proven practice that reduces the size of the amygdala: meditation. It does NOT have to be a big 250 lb guy sitting in the lotus position saying 'ooommm' or anything like that. Just sit comfortably and focus on your breathing for 10 minutes, once or twice a day. Gradually increase the length of time.

It is such a pain in the ass to incorporate into your daily routine, but worth it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ive done this consistently for three years and even before then sometimes but yes its so worth it. helps manage stress. I generally live a great lower stress life; although sometimes stress gets super intense, like, and I feel meditation helps me though it all. Great find the mediation reduces the amygdala size

so looks like as anabolic users its mandatory to practice mediation. trt maybe, mediation is still a great practice

Interesting. I have cruised, blast ,more cruise now at 51 for 12 years now. And you know i have noticed im a little more weird now days :D I dont care. I do worry a little more tho about my heart.

Maybe the other states of mind or moods but increased aggression is something I’ve never had from AAS.

a lot of it is genetic IMO

I used to be angry

then I began using steroids, and it seemed to almost 'balance me out' in a way..

I know that makes no sense..

but I suppose me having this assurance that i'll have a more impressive body than 99% of the male population has brought me a sense of inner peace.

Great topic and references. Ive seen it first hand. Tren specifically... it started with anxiety, went to suspicion, advanced to accusations, graduated to aggression and altered behaviors, and angry denial of such behaviors.
similar, but milder with EQ.
Substances cant be introduced with effecting some sort of change. Some people seem more easily adapted for change and so have very little negative sides. Then there are some who seem less tolerant. Those who are already addicts, can easily find themselves in a cross-addiction, while doing so with an already altered brain.
Its all a weighed risk, and i agree with the comments regarding meditation

Last edited:
Great topic and references. Ive seen it first hand. Tren specifically... it started with anxiety, went to suspicion, advanced to accusations, graduated to aggression and altered behaviors, and angry denial of such behaviors.
Substances cant be introduced with effecting some sort of change. Some people seem more easily adapted for change and so have very little negative sides. Then there are some who seem less tolerant. Those who are already addicts, can easily find themselves in a cross-addiction, while doing so with an already altered brain.

Are you a man or women?

I know for me personally Tren made me lose my patience so much faster and easier. I would get road rage, that was the most common temperament problem I had. Once though I was arguing with my wife and she closed the bedroom door and locked herself in the bedroom. I lost it and ended up busting the door down, knocked her back when the door flew back and took her to the ground. I am not proud of that. It was a terrible feeling. Strange too because I threw myself at the door and it went down like there was nothing there at all, broke the whole frame off the wall. It was like I didn't know my strength. I could have hurt her. I am nothing like that naturally. I used to teach high school and you need a lot of patience then. Tren was the one steroid that really did get to me.

Last edited:
Yea im done forever with tren.

[emoji52]

And here I am rethinking whether that 100mgs of tren ace a week addition to my blast cycle is a bad idea 🤤

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

[emoji52]

And here I am rethinking whether that 100mgs of tren ace a week addition to my blast cycle is a bad idea 🤤

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Very low dose, I wouldn't worry about that. I did 150 mg/wk a few times and didn't have any temper problems on it. It was when I was doing something like 50mg/day that did it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity