over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Ab cramps

btails

Registered
Does anyone have a remedy for being able to train abs while avoiding the cramps?

Got them so bad the other day after doing a few sets of abs I thought I was going to start screaming in the middle of the gym.

I think someone once mentioned a magnesium cream? Anything else that works?

I would also want's to know the answer, since i've remeber i always got cramps, i've im do one hard set of abs, the other one is almost imposible, unless i wait 10-15minuts for another set, or start in wierd position in the middle of the motion :p.

Does anyone have a remedy for being able to train abs while avoiding the cramps?

Got them so bad the other day after doing a few sets of abs I thought I was going to start screaming in the middle of the gym.

I think someone once mentioned a magnesium cream? Anything else that works?
I get them too. I start flailing like a fish when they happen. I always chalked it up too, being weak in those muscles since I am in consistent with ab training.

If they r consistently stimulated I would imagine with time they won’t cramp like that.

Sipping an electrolyte-infused drink (you can buy electrolyte tabs) and modestly increasing sodium intake (actually for you, you're probably low on sodium from memory, so you might be served by salt tablets to bring up intake). We lose substantial sodium/salt by sweating and this increases during the warmer months in your climate.

Exercise selection is also of substantial importance: e.g., flexion exercises (e.g., crunches/sit up/weighted pullovers, leg raises) cause this problem far more than extension exercises (e.g., ab wheel, dead bugs, etc.)

Also try doing 1-3 sets(as many as you can before you get a cramp) and do that 3-4 days a week. After a few weeks or months you can do more per ever day.

I get them too. I start flailing like a fish when they happen. I always chalked it up too, being weak in those muscles since I am in consistent with ab training.

If they r consistently stimulated I would imagine with time they won’t cramp like that.

Ya, I've never experienced it as bad as I did the other day. I was wondering if I was going to have to go to the hospital. Was having a hard time even staying on my feet.

Also try doing 1-3 sets(as many as you can before you get a cramp) and do that 3-4 days a week. After a few weeks or months you can do more per ever day.

Yes just really started training abs about 6 weeks ago. I know they're probably my weakest point. Been doing them 3x weekly.

Started with just 1 set on the ab crunch machine. Just doing light weight with 30-50lbs resistance and doing very slow controlled reps and squeezing hard.

I've even had this happen to me one time while just doing 1 set. Not multiple sets even.

Sipping an electrolyte-infused drink (you can buy electrolyte tabs) and modestly increasing sodium intake (actually for you, you're probably low on sodium from memory, so you might be served by salt tablets to bring up intake). We lose substantial sodium/salt by sweating and this increases during the warmer months in your climate.

Exercise selection is also of substantial importance: e.g., flexion exercises (e.g., crunches/sit up/weighted pullovers, leg raises) cause this problem far more than extension exercises (e.g., ab wheel, dead bugs, etc.)

I may have to look into electrolyte powder as I've played with my salt intake up to 2g in my intra drink and still dealing with this problem. It's odd though as abs are the only body part I'm experiencing this.

Maybe ill try an ab wheel too. I've been doing machine crunches. My lower abs look much better since I began doing these but may have to find a new exercise as you suggest.

Staff online

• MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear