over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Abdominal cramps

I get the abdominal pain, when I isolate abs training, because of the lack of fat in the abdomen. So, when I'm lean, I don't train abs.
This is what I have found.

In my experience, cramping abdominal muscles have been caused by tight hip flexor muscles. Out of curiosity how is your comfort in achieving 'appropriate' depth with leg training? I ask because the crappier my hips felt in approaching parallel squatting, or comfortably crouching into a deadlift, or leg pressing somewhat deep or whatever, the worse this abdominal cramping seemed to be.

This might not be the issue with you, but I ruled out mineral deficiencies. For those who ask I trained abs purely for mobility reasons.

stretching the hip flexors sounds like a good idea to me as I have neglected stretching so far :banghead: thanks for the tip!

I have the same problem except it's only my upper right abdominal. It locks up like a ball and hurts like hell. Sometimes it happens during the workout but it usually happens later in the day that I trained abs. It will usually locks up while I'm just sitting upright. It's been going on for 6 years now and nothing has helped.

Hey man, I had the same problem for a year. I would be hunched over in the gym feeling like my stomach was curling into one tiny ball. It would almost drop me to the ground. I started doing rope crunches 2 sets, then 3 sets, 4 sets, 5 sets doing one more eod when i would go to the gym and i found that I no longer have that problem. It was terrifying to be honest and discouraging because i could not hit them properly. I am not sure if the muscles just weren't use to the stimulation or what but progressively doing more over time I was able to make it stop and now I train them without worry. Hope that helps.

Muscle cramps are more commonly from a magnesium deficiency rather than a sodium or potassium deficiency, like most people think. Try adding a good quality multi mineral vitamin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Hey guys,

whenever I train abs directly, I get intense cramps in the abdominal muscles - so intense that one or a few of the muscle bellies stay contracted hard for even one minute, sometimes more.
I get it ALWAYS for a couple of years now, usually after just 2-3 sets of direct ab exercise. If I train abs separately - like not after some other bodypart - I tend to last a couple more sets, but I still get it after 5 sets anyway.

What could be the cause, EXCEPT for being defficient in minerals? I tried supplementing with Mg, Ca, salted my foods increasingly more and no real difference... and I don't get the cramps in other muscle groups (except for forearms if I train them directly and intense, but I guess that's normal)

Already asked Meadows and Shelby and some other knowledgeable guys, searched forums and internet... John and Shelby have encountered it but nobody knows what to do with it..

Any help appreciated!

That used to happen to me all the time... some times even when I was not training my abs and that is a horrible kind of pain... especially if it happens when you are 260 pounds and you are sitting in a small car! LOL
How I solve the problem? Water! you are dehydrated period, even you think if you are drinking enough water you are probably NOT at least not for your body needs... trust me...

Muscle cramps are more commonly from a magnesium deficiency rather than a sodium or potassium deficiency, like most people think. Try adding a good quality multi mineral vitamin

Not true.
My cramping and lethargy went away OVERNIGHT when I started taking in way more sodium.

Last edited:
I am a nurse, I know what I'm talking about.

The same people that told us salt was bad and caused hypertension, no thank you.

I have the same problem. My ab cramps will be so bad I can't even stand up straight. Very painful. Tried everything that everybody has mentioned here nothing worked. I try to do 3 sets of abs after every workout and do it as fast as I can sometimes they cramp sometimes they don't. I eat tons of salt every day so it's not sodium and drink at least a gallon of water. And I cramp nowhere else ever. So I know what your going through lol. Just no solution.

2 or 3 sets, man you better go get you gut scanned. Could be a underlying issue?

2 or 3 sets, man you better go get you gut scanned. Could be a underlying issue?

I sure hope not, but anything is possible. I haven't had a cramp in about 5 years and I sweat a lot in the summer and I train outside.

"glad" to see im not the only one with this problem after all!
For the Mg suggestion - I also loaded with Mg for a while, we even have a mineral water rich in Mg which I drank all day and made no difference
I always had a multivitamin and adding a multimineral into it didnt make a difference
However Im trying to salt heavy everything for the last couple of days so we'll see.. I'll let you guys know
(for the dehydration suggestion someone gave here, deff not the issue for me... At least 5 liters of water per day)

Btw guys TAURINE is awesome for cramps for some! Didnt work too well for me, but others it helped.. 2g 3x a day
Probably depends on what causes the cramps.. Taurine has a relaxing effect on muscles

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hey guys,

whenever I train abs directly, I get intense cramps in the abdominal muscles - so intense that one or a few of the muscle bellies stay contracted hard for even one minute, sometimes more.
I get it ALWAYS for a couple of years now, usually after just 2-3 sets of direct ab exercise. If I train abs separately - like not after some other bodypart - I tend to last a couple more sets, but I still get it after 5 sets anyway.

What could be the cause, EXCEPT for being defficient in minerals? I tried supplementing with Mg, Ca, salted my foods increasingly more and no real difference... and I don't get the cramps in other muscle groups (except for forearms if I train them directly and intense, but I guess that's normal)

Already asked Meadows and Shelby and some other knowledgeable guys, searched forums and internet... John and Shelby have encountered it but nobody knows what to do with it..

Any help appreciated!

Heat will relax the muscle when the spasm begins, but ice may be helpful after the first spasm and when the pain has improved. When it found, stop your activity and try stretching and massaging the affected muscle. The most common cause of muscle cramps during sports activity is dehydration. Salt tablets or sports drinks, which also replenish lost minerals, can be helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IY96B0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just bought 2 bottles of this, love them, don't have to put sea salt straight in my mouth anymore. Also, other stuff is lost besides sodium through sweat, gatorade and other sports drinks have a lot of high fructose corn syrup in them.

Keep us posted! Better pumps from training too btw.

No high fructose corn syrup in gatorade anymore. Just sucrose and dextrose now. Doesnt necessarilly make it any healthier though

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131