over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Abs training pre-contest

FranJ

Registered
Hi there guys,

After a few contests on my back I've found that my abs looks better if I don't train them everyday, otherwise I get very distended look, even if I don't use weights for training them.

I've friends that they never train them directly except some machine sets, something easy 4x20... and they present a nice mid zone in stage... others train them everyday with a variety of exercises and focus on core training...

I just work them without weights like 2-3 times a week after weight training session, easy leg raises and crunches... 4x25 and I usually get well definition on them.

How do u train abs when you are in pre-contest? do you train them everyday like many do, or you find that really a waste of time?

I've never trained abs directly. You'll find this is the case with a lot of competitors. If you're lean enough and don't have complete shit genetics, your abs will be pronounced. Most have trouble achieving the former.

I always trained them more to help control my midsection when posing. Usually would start working them into workouts at about 8 weeks out but nothing to major. Tried to stick with non-weighted movements as much as possible.

I treat them like any other body part and train them heavy. I have also started doing vacuums and it has greatly increased my ab control

I've never been a fan of training abs, but i've also never seen them.

Recently started training them more hardcore because I'm pretty lean right now and still can't really see them. They are pretty underdeveloped and I also have a good bit of lose-skin from being an obese kid my whole life. That combo isn't good lol. Hoping I can thicken them up a tad to help fill out the skin some so I can see them better.

I've never been a fan of training abs, but i've also never seen them.

Recently started training them more hardcore because I'm pretty lean right now and still can't really see them. They are pretty underdeveloped and I also have a good bit of lose-skin from being an obese kid my whole life. That combo isn't good lol. Hoping I can thicken them up a tad to help fill out the skin some so I can see them better.
Same here....even when I'm lean they barely poke through.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Why would you train abs every day? Train abs 1-2 times a week. 6-8 sets 2 times a week is plenty.

I try to do them every other day but it doesn't happen. Twice a week with calves and they're good to go. It depends on how genetically they're shaped

I disagree about the "afterthought" method of ab training (i.e: not doing very much)

Ever seen the abdominals of a gymnast? There is no other sport that has the development, tiny waists, and FLAT stomachs of gymnasts.

Hanging Leg Raises, L holds, hell pretty much anything hanging from a bar or on parallel bars is awesome.

For some reason, abs have lost their appeal.

Check out the abs of Serge Nubret. 2000 sit ups DAILY for cardio.

I say train them hard...

indirectly....

deadlift is the only movement I know of
that will actually thicken up your waist line....

you hit abs plenty indirectly.....ie pushdowns...pullovers
pulldowns.

precontest I would do some broomstick twists, however.

:cool:

I train them 4-5x/wk, usually I only forego them on leg day year round (offseason and prep)

My staples are unsupported hanging leg raises, regular crunches, rope crunches and decline-bench leg raises

So usually in the 15-30 rep range, the only non-bodyweight is on rope crunches

My abs are rubbish from the front and I'm around 7-8% bf, my obliques are shredded tho, doesn't make sense, loads of lads in the gym have great abs at 10+bf with zero obliques

Think I should prob start training them more

I've got a vid on my phone but not sure how to upload it

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear