over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Acai Berry?

L

littlemack

Anyone have any good information on Acai Berry? It grows in the Amazon I was told and supposedly has many health benefits. Someone I know is trying to sell me on this MonaVie stuff and gave me a bottle to try.

Acai does have a lot of scientifically studied benefits. Its a great antioxidant that has an amazingly high ORAC score, higher than any other berry I believe. Contains essential fatty acids, phytonutrients, and polyphenols.

Despite what seems to be common belief around here about natural remedies and the like, if they work or have actual benefits you'll be able to find scientific studies validating them. Here are just a few.

**broken link removed**
http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?id=t10200571w300773
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0101-20612006000200031&script=sci_arttext&tlng=en

Last edited:
Liphted said:
Acai does have a lot of scientifically studied benefits. Its a great antioxidant that has an amazingly high ORAC score, higher than any other berry I believe. Contains eseential fatty acids, phytonutrients, and polyphenols.

Despite what seems to be common belief around here about natural remedies and the like, if they work or have actual benefits you'll be able to find scientific studies validating them. Here are just a few.

**broken link removed**
http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?id=t10200571w300773
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0101-20612006000200031&script=sci_arttext&tlng=en

hey bro, thanks for the info and articles, we need more bros like you posting opinions backed up by studys and articles. Question for ya, I have done some research about the orac scoring and remember seeing something abou the scores not being very accurate because they test them by water solubility or something and if the berry or whatever is being tested is not water soluable iit will skew the test? I cant remember exactly what it was about have you heard anything about this?

??

actually while doing some research, i came across a study from university of florida.using an extract of the acai berrry,they found that the fruit may have triggered 86% of human leukemia cells to self distruct.the brazilian berries are suspected to be a cancer-fighting machine,because it has up to 30times more anthocyanins than whine.

i'll post the rest i found later,
i'm tired

leap

littlemack said:
Anyone have any good information on Acai Berry? It grows in the Amazon I was told and supposedly has many health benefits. Someone I know is trying to sell me on this MonaVie stuff and gave me a bottle to try.

I'm glad you brought that up (the ORAC issue), but before I discuss my opinion I'd like to get at something very important that you stated.

hey bro, thanks for the info and articles, we need more bros like you posting opinions backed up by studys and articles

I see posts on forums roughly falling into three catagories, asking questions,
giving advice, and being social. If you fall into the category of giving advice/information
I think its your job to investigate the validity of your statements. Ultimately, this board is only as good as its posts. If people are reciting things they get from their Moms neighborhood email list about the latest and greatest cure for ailment X that requires vasoline, a thimble, an apple core, and a full moon I think the purpose of this board has been defeated.

While I don't think its necessary for everyone who posts information on this board to link to something that justifies their statements, it
should be able to be produced if someone asks, and
if it can't it should not be stated as fact. I think a lot of people don't take into account the potential impact that their statements have on impressionable minds. Some of the recommendations I see make
me cringe.

OK, sorry for the rant but its been on my mind for a couple of days. ORAC has been shown to be inconsistent in general. There are many factors which can alter the outcome of the final value produced, some of which might be the ones you stated, but I don't remember the specifics off the top of my head. I think one dealt with whether or not the sample was in concentrated form or not, which by itself should raise some eyebrows. I think another issue revolved around how well the value actually holds when compared to a test tube and a human body because of bioavailibility. There was some spice, I believe, that produced amazing values in a tube, but wasn't so amazing once consumed.

The take away, ORAC is a relative figure. As long as the deviation between samples isn't large it allows the value obtained to be compared relatively to other substances (vegatables, fruits, etc.), but should not be considered amazingly accurate by any means, thus the reason I gave no figure.

I'd try to find some links, but unfortunately I'm swamped at the current moment and have to get back to some actual work.

actually while doing some research, i came across a study from university of florida

for anyone interested in this, see my first link.

leapfrog said:
actually while doing some research, i came across a study from university of florida.using an extract of the acai berrry,they found that the fruit may have triggered 86% of human leukemia cells to self distruct.the brazilian berries are suspected to be a cancer-fighting machine,because it has up to 30times more anthocyanins than whine.

i'll post the rest i found later,
i'm tired

leap

I looked at the study, do you have any idea on how the berries were applied to the leukemia? I mean they say the derived a few different concentrations from the extracts and like 4 did the cancer fighting. I am not to familer with the way leukemia is treated and exactly how the berrie is applied to fight cancer(oraly, i.v.) any ideas? I dont have cancer but am just curious.

Liphted,
that makes sense about the orac scores, I'll search around a little also for more info, another question for ya. I'm sure you have seen all the multi level market b.s. people are sellin with acai in it, are any of these any good in your opinion? or I should say worth the money? and if not other than going to brazil and eatin berries from the tree, do you know of any other forms of this that are a good quality? sorry for the 20 questions, but it seems you may have more knowledge on this than myself. thanks

!!

WELL I'M ASSUMING THEY ARE PUTTING IT IN A PETRE DISH? AS FOR HOW A HUMAN SHOULD TAKE IT,EAT OR DRINK I WOULD THINK.

LEAP

km2000 said:
I looked at the study, do you have any idea on how the berries were applied to the leukemia? I mean they say the derived a few different concentrations from the extracts and like 4 did the cancer fighting. I am not to familer with the way leukemia is treated and exactly how the berrie is applied to fight cancer(oraly, i.v.) any ideas? I dont have cancer but am just curious.

Yes. They applied the acai berry to cultured leukemia cells in a petre dish. However, other fruits and vitamins were cited as having killed these cells in a culture also. The other thing the study noted was that not all things that work on cultured cells like this have the same amount of benefit to people, but there generally is some amount of benefit(or something like that).

Thanks for all the replies to this thread! I learned quite a bit with this one. I will let you know if I see any benefits. I'm currently drinking 4 oz. per day(2 in the morning, 2 in the evening) and will keep you posted.

Where did you get it from littlemack?

Yes. They applied the acai berry to cultured leukemia cells in a petre dish. However, other fruits and vitamins were cited as having killed these cells in a culture also. The other thing the study noted was that not all things that work on cultured cells like this have the same amount of benefit to people, but there generally is some amount of benefit(or something like that).

Thanks for all the replies to this thread! I learned quite a bit with this one. I will let you know if I see any benefits. I'm currently drinking 4 oz. per day(2 in the morning, 2 in the evening) and will keep you posted.

littlemack, did the Monavie do anything for you?

100 % Pure Acai

juice makes more sense. The whole Monavie thing is multi-level. My sister and brother-n-law have gotten caught up in the whole "miracle" properties of Acai. I have a friend who has spent over twenty years of his life studying all natural foods, supplements, etc.. He owns a health food store and isn't too keen on Monavie. He has attended their workshops so he knows what they are telling people. His recommendation is to just take 100% acai berry juice on top of an organic whole food/greens and veg. product.

juice makes more sense. The whole Monavie thing is multi-level. My sister and brother-n-law have gotten caught up in the whole "miracle" properties of Acai. I have a friend who has spent over twenty years of his life studying all natural foods, supplements, etc.. He owns a health food store and isn't too keen on Monavie. He has attended their workshops so he knows what they are telling people. His recommendation is to just take 100% acai berry juice on top of an organic whole food/greens and veg. product.

good point man,

i know there is a lot of the acai multi level stuff going on, they seem to care more about selling you than your health and wellness..... but damn i have been to a few meetings and they are good at making you think you are going to be a millionaire in a few months... lol

Everyone who goes to a gym in my country drinks acai post-workout. To see how they look see my other posts. If you find a Brazilian bakery near you chances are you're gonna find it very cheap.

I've heard MonaVie is like an Amway type of deal, MLM. I don't trust those companies at all. (snake oil)

littlemack, did the Monavie do anything for you?

Didn't stick with it for very long. That stuff is just soo expensive. I hear a lot of good stuff about acai berries though. Might follow Pump's advice and try 100% real acai added to my diet for antioxidents. Can't see that it would hurt.

I completely agree with this. The multi-levelers typically ride the wave of the hottest new products (noni juice etc.) They then tend to make outrageous claims and hype the products and make as much as they can off of them until the next "big thing" comes along. Interesting how Monavie is in a bottle that looks like expensive wine. There's a reason for that guys. It's called marketing. I am not stating that acai doesn't have it's benefits and merits. I would take Peter's advice and just buy a good acai juice at Whole Foods. I believe even Trader Joe's carries it for a nice price.

Liphted,
that makes sense about the orac scores, I'll search around a little also for more info, another question for ya. I'm sure you have seen all the multi level market b.s. people are sellin with acai in it, are any of these any good in your opinion? or I should say worth the money? and if not other than going to brazil and eatin berries from the tree, do you know of any other forms of this that are a good quality? sorry for the 20 questions, but it seems you may have more knowledge on this than myself. thanks

Wow, I'm surprised to see this thread pop back up. Sorry I never checked back in to respond to your questions, but reading through everyones posts I feel answers most of what you were asking and I agree with everything that is being said. If you decide to add the berry into your diet go with putmans advice, the rest is just bullshit marketing that I feel doesn't live up to the hype. Check your PM's when you get a chance, I have a question for you.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws