over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Advice for 16 year old athlete

Bodyofwork365

Registered
Newbies
Looking for any advice on helping my 16 year old put on some weight. The kid eats like a horse and honestly overtrains (I keep trying to tell him we need to stop it but I’m just dad and he doesn’t listen)

Ultimately he called me today from school upset because he’s about to lose his starting QB position to another kid who’s faster and bigger than him. My son is 6’5” and 159 pounds so he’s very skinny and doesn’t have my genetics at all. I’ve told him he needs to focus on training less with more basic compound movements, lower rep ranges etc. I’ve also suggested to his mom that she have him eat more calorie dense foods like peanut butter etc.

Anyone have any solid advice? I know there’s only so much you can overcome genetically but any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated!

Looking for any advice on helping my 16 year old put on some weight. The kid eats like a horse and honestly overtrains (I keep trying to tell him we need to stop it but I’m just dad and he doesn’t listen)

Ultimately he called me today from school upset because he’s about to lose his starting QB position to another kid who’s faster and bigger than him. My son is 6’5” and 159 pounds so he’s very skinny and doesn’t have my genetics at all. I’ve told him he needs to focus on training less with more basic compound movements, lower rep ranges etc. I’ve also suggested to his mom that she have him eat more calorie dense foods like peanut butter etc.

Anyone have any solid advice? I know there’s only so much you can overcome genetically but any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated!
Your kid isnt eating like a horse if he is only weighing 159lb at 6 5. You already know what to do. More calorie dense food.

Your kid isnt eating like a horse if he is only weighing 159lb at 6 5. You already know what to do. More calorie dense food.
No he is, in fact I’ve taken him to the doctor several times because I’ve thought he had to have something wrong like overactive thyroid or worms etc but all tests came back fine. Doctor just said he’s growing so fast upward his body has no time to fill out outward (docs quote not mine)

No he is, in fact I’ve taken him to the doctor several times because I’ve thought he had to have something wrong like overactive thyroid or worms etc but all tests came back fine. Doctor just said he’s growing so fast upward his body has no time to fill out outward (docs quote not mine)
List everything he eats for a day. If he’s eating in a surplus then he will gain weight. A good start is to actually log his food. If someone isn’t gaining weight then get them yo eat more. Get him to eat 300grams of protein a day and add some pizza, fast food, ice cream, etc daily. He’s 16 and needs to gain weight he just needs to eat and eat and not worry about eating clean. Eating a lot is relative. He might be eating a lot for you but obviously he isn’t eating enough for him.
There’s literally no other advice to give. Get him a good strength coach as well. How do you know he’s overtraining? Is he getting stronger? I’d say he’s under eating more than overtraining

List everything he eats for a day. If he’s eating in a surplus then he will gain weight. A good start is to actually log his food. If someone isn’t gaining weight then get them yo eat more. Get him to eat 300grams of protein a day and add some pizza, fast food, ice cream, etc daily. He’s 16 and needs to gain weight he just needs to eat and eat and not worry about eating clean. Eating a lot is relative. He might be eating a lot for you but obviously he isn’t eating enough for him.
There’s literally no other advice to give. Get him a good strength coach as well. How do you know he’s overtraining? Is he getting stronger? I’d say he’s under eating more than overtraining

Very good points, I’ll start logging it when he’s with me, and having him and my ex log it the rest of the time. I know when he’s with me the kid will crush a big steak, baked potatoe, bag of Doritos, and coke all in one sitting lol. I’ll probably be shocked to see what’s actually logged throughout the course of an entire week. I just ordered him some weight gainer powder too so that’s 1210 calories per serving and should make an impact quickly.

Very good points, I’ll start logging it when he’s with me, and having him and my ex log it the rest of the time. I know when he’s with me the kid will crush a big steak, baked potatoe, bag of Doritos, and coke all in one sitting lol. I’ll probably be shocked to see what’s actually logged throughout the course of an entire week. I just ordered him some weight gainer powder too so that’s 1210 calories per serving and should make an impact quickly.
I’d also suggest food sources that are easily digestible. Rice crispies are a carb source that’s in and out. Cream of rice with honey and cream of wheat as well are pretty much in and out. If he can handle lactose a gallon of milk on top of it all will definitely help. Hot wings are another food that is easy throw down 1000cals + in one sitting

As has been noted above without knowing where you are starting from, it is harder to move forward. When I was a trainer i would ask everyone that said they eat a lot and can't grow how many calories they ate a day. And I got the same answer of" I don't know"

I know it’s tough hearing your child upset over getting set aside for a better athlete. But this is a teachable moment for you and him as well. This could very well direct his full attention into training and improving his athletic abilities to gain that spot back! And listening to his pops!!!! There’s always someone else out there that’s bigger, stronger, and faster. Lots of genetic freaks today in sports. Your son just has to decide how bad he wants it. I wish you and him the best of luck!!! Anything is possible if you put in the work.

Cage

I know it’s tough hearing your child upset over getting set aside for a better athlete. But this is a teachable moment for you and him as well. This could very well direct his full attention into training and improving his athletic abilities to gain that spot back! And listening to his pops!!!! There’s always someone else out there that’s bigger, stronger, and faster. Lots of genetic freaks today in sports. Your son just has to decide how bad he wants it. I wish you and him the best of luck!!! Anything is possible if you put in the work.

Cage

Thank you bro, definitely been a teachable moment. The kid puts in work like crazy but I need to get him putting that effort towards things that’ll make a larger impact. He’s willing to do what it takes and he won the varsity QB job as a freshman in Oklahoma so he’s damn good but as I tried to explain to him there’s always going to be a fight to keep what you worked for. Hopefully he’ll win it back and use this as an opportunity to grow and better himself.

Train with only 3 days per week using a push—pull split. And add calorie dense foods to his diet like peanut butter. It sounds like you already know the problem.

I would tell him to stick with his goal, good things will come. Look at Tom Brady, etc. (just an example of "late bloomers").
16 is still very young. I ate my parents out of house and home, lifted every day, played traveling-team hockey, was always outside running, could never gain a pound.
(I started lifting at age 12 going on 13, so of course I wasn't gaining much pre-puberty). I know plenty (athletes) who eat like a horse, their body burns it up, wont store any of it.
Genetic thing, plus activity, etc.

Hard to be in this day and age, but stress "patience" and "hard-work" to him, good things will come.
I never did anabolics (until jumping on TRT at age 50) but it took me 30 years to gain 30 lbs of muscle, so patience with this is one of my strengths.
(Not hard to be patient when you love doing something, and doing it for health or fun).

Came across this one might be worth a look. When I was able to barbell squat, deadlift and barbell bench press I loved the conjugate method.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisaac062224
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws