over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Advice from back pain sufferers

comedycentral

Registered
I have been suffering now for 18 months.

my back went out on me after squatting back in march 09. the warnings were there to back off but i was making gains so kept pushing and it went.

anyway since then i have been 1 step forward 1 back constantly.

i have seen chiro who says he cannot see anything on xray, i have been doing stretches, yoga using inversion table, foam roller however i think it will never be the same as before.

i have not squatted more than 3plates which felt unstable and every so often i will get grief.

i did front squats yesterday not heavy but today i am in agony.

anyway at 35 years of age and trying to do this natural i know time is against me.

im thinking of knocking squats and deads on the head completely and look at high rep leg press and hacks only. i might also start using hammer strength kit more than free weights.

anyone else train this way and still make gains??? like i said i have to be practical now and cannot keep blowing my back out and missing work for this.

advice please

SOunds like you must be pushing yourself too hard. I never hurt my back bad enough for it to last that long, but what I would do when I hurt mine is cut out deads, squats, and bentover rows until my back started feeling better. Once I felt like I could try those exercises again I would start back really light and do reps of 20. Then you just work your way back up in weight really slowly, paying close attention to your form.
If youre doing both regular deads and squats every week I would defietely stop that. What I have been doing for awhile now is squats every leg workout and then stiff leg deads everyother workout. No need to do deads every workout, and regular deads are so much like doing squats.
The problem all along might be that you are just overtraining your lower back. SO many exercises hit those muscles. Once I stopped doing both squats and reg deads every workout my problems just about went away.

no maldorf i have only been doing deads every 2nd/3rd week and i have started back with squats very light then trying to gently build back up.

for some reason i can also get back pain even doing lat raises if i bend forward slightly to get the last rep up. no rhyme or reason to it

my back went out on me after squatting back in march 09. the warnings were there to back off but i was making gains so kept pushing and it went.

i have seen chiro who says he cannot see anything on xray, i have been doing stretches, yoga using inversion table, foam roller however i think it will never be the same as before.

i have not squatted more than 3plates which felt unstable and every so often i will get grief.

anyway at 35 years of age and trying to do this natural i know time is against me.

im thinking of knocking squats and deads on the head completely and look at high rep leg press and hacks only. i might also start using hammer strength kit more than free weights.

anyone else train this way and still make gains??? like i said i have to be practical now and cannot keep blowing my back out and missing work for this.

advice please

I have exactly the same issues, stretching helps some but If I want to aoivd pain, I have to stay away from deads and squats which really sucks.
So, I changed my work out and removed these from the line up for the most part. Well anything over 135lbs anyway with a quarterly power session.

I was hyped at the gym the other day and decided to do cling/jerks and front squats. The next day I paid for it.

anyway the only thing that seems to help is I go to my Chiro and he aligns me using a AO Instrument. It truly works. Here is his website page so you can get info and look for this treatment in your area.

**broken link removed**

Hope this helps man.

advice please

Its something soft tissue and you need an MRI.18 months is way too long to let you suffer with this.Don't do the exxercises that cause "agony" until you get this properly diagnosed and a treatment plan going.

no maldorf i have only been doing deads every 2nd/3rd week and i have started back with squats very light then trying to gently build back up.

for some reason i can also get back pain even doing lat raises if i bend forward slightly to get the last rep up. no rhyme or reason to it

I was there once too. It sounds though like yours must be a lot worse than mine was if its lasted that long. At times I would take 2-3 weeks off altogether and not touch a weight. Have you done that yet? I know its hard to do, but sometimes in the end its what your body needs.

Another tihng I would do if I had an injury is go to using machines, since a lot fo the time it takes stress off of your core. I did that after my hernia surgery, and it might help you. Avoid any exercise that hurt your back one bit, and try to find a machine that allows you to train the same muscles. Do that until youre healed up. It might take 3 months or more.
Thats what I would do if I were you. Id take off at least 2 weeks from lifting, and then come back and use machines on certain exercises if need be.

Its something soft tissue and you need an MRI.18 months is way too long to let you suffer with this.Don't do the exxercises that cause "agony" until you get this properly diagnosed and a treatment plan going.

Im thinking this too. That is a long time,and perhaps you have torn something. sometimes getting insurance to pay for an MRI is a pain in the ass though. Mine once made me get a CAT scan first, since they are cheaper. It turned out that the CAT scan was enough to make my diagnosis, and so the insurance company did save us all some money.

dude go get an MRI! You don't want to think it's ok only to hurt yourself more down the road....it's not worth it....it just seems that way....learn what the injury is, and then learn how to train around it....I just found out I've got a herniated disk...working w/ some trainers who are more knowledgeable than myself, I've gotten some great workouts in here lately, not using any kind of weight....and most importantly it hasn't hurt my back......injury is just about unavoidable, but you can learn how to not make it worse and how to train around it...

I think you should see an MD and probbaly get an MRI. And get an x-ray from an MD. Stop with the chiros.

Stop deads and squats for a few months. I am older and have back and knee issues and had to give them both up, but make pretty good gains from just leg press. It's not worth tearing your back up, dude.

I think you should see an MD and probbaly get an MRI. And get an x-ray from an MD. Stop with the chiros.
Stop deads and squats for a few months. I am older and have back and knee issues and had to give them both up, but make pretty good gains from just leg press. It's not worth tearing your back up, dude.

LOL,we can order MRI's and this should have been done in this case.

i will look into the MRI. thanks for the advice.

i have had a month off a while back and did bodyweight exercises only.

as i stated i am having to come round to the idea now at 35 i will get nothing out of keep trying to push squats and deads at the risk of more injury.

anyone do high rep leg press work or similar. i can actually go fairly heavy on leg press without issues touch wood.

chest/shoulders/tri i can be strong on. strangely back work i am strong on including DB rows which do not cause me pain.

im never going to be a powerlifter and probably never going to compete in bb ing but do like to train for size and strength.

however more recently i appreciate little things like hiking through woods with the wife and the dog and want to be able to do this for years to come without being crippled.

i dont want to be one of these strong ass lifters in the gym but cannot lift a couch without tweaking something

Last edited:
Get the MRI bro. trust me. I had the back surgery and can no longer do deads or squats. For me it's not worth the risk. I never wanna go through the surgery again. I'm glad i did it, but it took a lot of life out of me. I was away for 6mos from training. I was just afraid to try anything to soon. Even now I am careful about what I am doing, at least somewhat.

my chiro recomended the x ray.

i am seeing him tomorrow so will discuss the MRI with him.

smart move comedy... alot of times we try to self diagnose which is not a good idea imo... I'm over 40 myself and have been dealing with a chronic lower back issue for years..... but I'm still gettin it in just not as heavy, doing other things to maintain the intensity such as pre-exhaustion, super-sets,giant sets etc.

Exactly.

If your injury is serious enough, you'll need to see an actual doctor to have it evaluated and to have various treatment options laid out for you.

I hurt my back a few years ago and got a lot of advice from the guys here. I first hurt my back when I was squatting. So I knew that I needed to take some time off of squats; the problem is that I love squats and they seem to build me up the best and didn't really want to take time off from them. So I got a hip belt from ironminds.com that you strap on kinda like a dip belt but there is an attachment in the font and back to hold the weight evenly between our legs. It was one of the best buys I've made in a while because I can really feel them working the quads more than regular squats. I would actually recommend this exercise for everybody.
You can do these inside a smith mashine while standing over the bar or with an e-z (cambered) bar between your legs. My back feels fine now and I still do them because it put lots of growth on my legs and if my back ever does seem tight or achy I can bring it out on those days as well. Anyway, you can still get the feel of free weight this way; just an option. Good luck.

Super Squats Hip Belt for squats, dips, chins - IronMind-Ironmind Enterprises

just got my bulging discs injected today.

IDK these were the first ones. Ill let you know.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws