over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Advice on my Labral tear

gomit

Registered
Hey guys, So i have had some recurring issues with re-tearing my left labrum over the last few years. It has always been partial tears and i have always rehabbed it myself only to tear it again as soon as i start progressing. Well i have finally had enough and got an arthroscopic MRI done on it last week. So i talked to my Doctor today with the results and there are 2-3 partial tears in the labrum.

He is suggesting i do 2 months of PT first and then see how i feel and if i need surgery. Though he said directly there is a good chance i will need the surgery regardless but feels i should try this first. I am sort of leaning towards just getting the surgery now and doing a full rehab once it is healed. Only due to the fact this has been bothering me for almost 4 years and it just continues to happen, and i am at the point where i just want it fixed and to move on.

Now i trust the doc he is a professional but i am wondering what you guys think if you were in my shoes? Do the 2-3 months of PT then go from there or just get it taken care of and go for the long game heal?

Hey guys, So i have had some recurring issues with re-tearing my left labrum over the last few years. It has always been partial tears and i have always rehabbed it myself only to tear it again as soon as i start progressing. Well i have finally had enough and got an arthroscopic MRI done on it last week. So i talked to my Doctor today with the results and there are 2-3 partial tears in the labrum.

He is suggesting i do 2 months of PT first and then see how i feel and if i need surgery. Though he said directly there is a good chance i will need the surgery regardless but feels i should try this first. I am sort of leaning towards just getting the surgery now and doing a full rehab once it is healed. Only due to the fact this has been bothering me for almost 4 years and it just continues to happen, and i am at the point where i just want it fixed and to move on.

Now i trust the doc he is a professional but i am wondering what you guys think if you were in my shoes? Do the 2-3 months of PT then go from there or just get it taken care of and go for the long game heal?

I dont trust that doctor..because either a labrum is torn or it isnt... and i certain dont count the number, we characterize the extentand location..

Ive read 1000's of shoulder MRI's and never have i ever called 2-3 partial tears of a labrum. I mean sure maybe the superior labrum can be torn and then maybe the antero inferior ..something like that but any physician would be descriptive.

Please post up your MRI report as its possible that depending on your age and MRI findings they may have called "degenerative fraying/tearing" or something to downplay it but thats just stylistic.

I think its pretty individual dude. This is coming from someone who's torn his labrum and rotator cuff twice (same shoulder).

I would think about your training goals AND how the next 6 months look to you? Are you ok with taking some time off and rehabbing? Or would you rather PT, keep lifting and see if that works. IMO, 4 years of nagging injuries fucking suuuuck and you should just get under the knife.

The labrum is one of those weeeiiird injuries, similar to meniscus. Some guys can lift with it and barely notice a thing. To other guys is it painful as hell and debilitating—that's how it was for me. Shit was intense and twice i chose to get that shit dealt with and to take some time off from the gym.

Tore my labrum anteriorly my sophomore year in college (football). The choices were sit out the season and have surgery immediately or rehab everyday with other modalities as well and play. I chose to play for a couple of reasons. 1. My doc told me it's such a common injury that re injury, especially for someone playing ball, is high especially if trying to come back too soon and I had actually seen it with teammates. 2. Bc he basically said the tear was as bad as it was going to get and as long as I was comfy I could play. I ended up playing for 3 years with it torn and having it repaired 2 weeks after my senior season ended.

The only problem with me waiting as long is by the time I had the surgery there was barely any cartilage left and a lot of it was frayed so it made he surgery tough.

No upper body lifting for 6 months and it took me 12-14 months post surgery to get all my strength back.

I tore my rotator cuff muscles on my left shoulder (large labrum tear and supraspinatus completely torn off) and had the surgery Oct. 26, 2016. The tears were pretty big so no point in PT. Now that I'm just past 3 months out, I can do most all lifting, except my left shoulder is weaker than the right for doing lateral and straight-forward pressing movements. The physical therapist says I'm more like 8 months out than 3. I can do military presses at 135 lbs + and decline benching at 225 lbs. I realize those aren't huge numbers but I couldn't do anything before the surgery. I was in the gym 2 days after surgery lol. The bottom line is if you are in good shape and listen to your body you can beat the timing they give you, just be sensible about it. I would just do the surgery and get it over with. Tears just don't fix themselves. I does help I had probably the best orthoscopic surgeon in town.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner