advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

After watching Generation Iron today for the umpteenth time I realize....

here's what i think....

The drama is over emphasized but how can you call this fake? This is a documentary which was spiced up and partially guided in very obvious parts but very few as well. Sure as hell not enough to call fake. you really think phil takes baths and reads the flex magazine he is on the cover of? lol. you really think he goes and picks up his paper in a robe and holding his coffee mug? those were staged. so was most of the movie. its a "movie"

Phil is an arrogant asshole. Kai is a strange fellow, who in reality despises Phil for holding down the throne that he devotes every second of every minute of his simple yet so meticulous existence thinking about. Not fake.
I think Kai despises Phil bc phil is the best at something AND had a life and other ambitions he just ended up doing what suits his genetics (left basketball went to bbing) Whereas Kai has never had anything going for him nor did he even try (gov housing no education no other ambitions besides drugs and weights) and so Phil beats him and still has a well rounded life.
Branch lives on a farm and busts his ass. He trains like a maniac. All accurate. Did they stage the fall off the horse?
they got LUCKY wit that horse shot. you just cant fake branch lol. and don't think he would even let you

How about Victor, was his prison term fake?
no, but did u see they made it look like Weinstein and friends met him RIGHT as he walked out of jail. LOL. that was set up I am sure.
Or the fact that Ben Pakulski takes on a extremely scientific approach to his training? Fake?
I think they embellished it. u think he uses those EKG machines and etc every prep every work out etc? naw, its prob something he has done and so they used it and make it sound common place
The list goes on and on, but the fakeness in this movie is no more exaggerated than the soap opera approach the IFBB took on Kai and Phil in real life (but I'm pretty confident that stemmed from the existing disrespect Kai originally had for Phil and vice versa). So they're only trying to entertain what was already there

Now there's no debating everyone would put on a little bit of mask if being shown in a movie about our lifestyle, we'd most likely present our version of our perceived best self but I'm holding true to leaving this in the documentary section on Netflix and certainly not sold on the fictitious drama that you're claiming.

Same shit with pumping iron. Exaggerated on some levels (Arnold cumming 24/7) but certainly not fake.

Basically, everything u described ^ is what good documentary movie making is. its story telling. u make drama if there isn't enough and film it. its still real as you said but magnified and presented cleverly. otherwise its just gonna feel and look like a boring "day in the life of" youtube documentary we have all seen 1 million times.
just my opinion
-JS

Last edited:
It's not "hard to believe", it's a movie and plenty of shit in there was put in there. Do you think Phil jogs up mountains for cardio? And goes to train after pre judging before the night show?

You seem very passionate about this so I don't really want to argue haha but the movie was pretty far out from reality. And not because I dont "believe" it's because I know
I don't mean any shit by my perceived passionate view I just get worked up when my words get schewed and not taken as what they say.

I said theirs obvious exaggerations and things added in but in only few cases. The secpnd most laughable was definitely the running up the mountain shit with Phil, but the worst was with Kai in the subway station. Definitely lame no doubt. But with Kai, I wouldn't be shocked if "artistically bi-curious subway station posing routine" was in his daily grind of things to do.

I don't remember the training session in between showings, I guess it was a chance for the camera to get a better look at his physique in its leanest state.

All I'm saying is the general views and ways of living portrayed were on point to any coverage and viewpoints expressed previously by all the guys covered.

No offense meant lol

Basically, everything u described ^ is what good documentary movie making is. its story telling. u make drama if there isn't enough and film it. its still real as you said but magnified and presented cleverly. otherwise its just gonna feel and look like a boring "day in the life of" youtube documentary we have all seen 1 million times.
just my opinion
-JS
Exactly.

Cinema is extremely more complex than most see it for. A good director does exactly that - directs the characters in his direction with his overall master plan in mind. Documentaries can't just be some interviews and training footage when it comes to bodybuilding. Go to MD for that.

It's an art in itself and overall I liked the way he presented it. He did a great job considering what he had to work with

Cheesy at times but it all went along with each individual personality (like Kai in the subway, fits him well) and meeting Victor as he's supposedly released (simply explains with footage to the viewer that he had been in jail for awhile).

Last edited:
Exactly.

Cinema is extremely more complex than most see it for. A good director does exactly that - directs the characters in his direction with his overall master plan in mind. Documentaries can't just be some interviews and training footage when it comes to bodybuilding. Go to MD for that.

It's an art in itself and overall I liked the way he presented it. He did a great job considering what he had to work with

Cheesy at times but it all went along with each individual personality (like Kai in the subway, fits him well) and meeting Victor as he's supposedly released (simply explains with footage to the viewer that he had been in jail for awhile).

that's EXACTLY right ^
-JS

umm.....what?

Freeman is not in his 50's... and he hasn't really been what most would refer to as 'competitive' in a while...he didn't even qualify for the O' last year. I doubt he's getting a sufficient return on what he's putting into his body for the sake of bodybuilding.

as for Heath being a prick...I believe in the movie he meant that hard work can't beat talent, if talent works hard. Cocky? yes, but also very true.

Im sure being a 5'9 guy playing college basketball, he knew that he could outplay the guys who were naturally taller if he worked harder than them, and they sat on their asses or partied 24/7. He's familiar with the territory.

I've heard that he's a very nice guy (from the people who I know who have met him). He may not take too kindly to those he's competing against...but they are trying to take food off of his table, so why would he be neighborly and jovial? It's not like Kai gives him any respect.

People talked shit about him throughout his bodybuilding journey, and now that he's the champ, they all want to snuggle up close to him? I would be pretty cynical too. It seems the only person who ever believed in him was Jay..

but I digress
Wow - I don’t know why but I always thought he was closer to 6ft

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member