over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Age and conditioning ...for the older vets

chris250

Featured Member/ Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
This year, I seem to have a harder time getting into the shape I needed to win shows. I got into decent shape, but even then I felt like my conditioning varied from morning to night (dry and hard morning, holding water at night). Im thinking that maybe now at 39 years old, that my estrogen levels are higher now. Maybe need a higher dose of anti estrogens ? Maybe I need to diet harder, cut carbs out sooner, or lower cals in general. Do more cardio, or something. But the way I did things 4-5 years ago, just dont seem to do the trick to get into great shape now. I went out and hired a good friend of mine, to take over next year. He is close enough to me to see me every couple weeks in person when Im dieting for my show next year. (master north americans) So im really looking forward to doing something new, and learning a new program. But, my question is do the older vets that compete, have had a simular experiance to dieting as they got older ? What did you do to change things up, to get into the shape that you use to ?

thanks

chris

It think its just called gettin old :(
It was like I turned 35 a few years ago [I'm about a year younger than you Chris] and all of sudden I had joint pains and any excess carbs seemed to go right to bloaty fat and you name it.
Now it takes more effort just to have the same results from 3-5 years ago.
Diet wise carbs have to be lower for me and/or the presence of some kinda GH/peptide combo in the mix.
Workouts I need extra warm ups, rubbing liniment all over, wearing sleeves on elbows.
Even with gear. Couple years ago I'd have instant vascularity a week into starting a mast and tren run. Nowadays, less so.
So like I said taking and doing more stuff just for the same baseline as in the past. But what else can we do really. Its either put up or shut up and get out of the game.

I'll be 45 this year and I achieved my best condition last year. You mentioned a few of my tactics, like suppressing estro hard for the last 4-5 weeks. I aslo did more cardio than I have in the past 60 min 6 days/week.
For sure it has gotten more difficult with age, but I think I have gotten smarter and more determined.
Training heavy is the hardest thing for me. I seem to collect little injuries along teh way, and during prep there is no time to take a break and heal. So I try and train smarter vs. harder I use concentration to get the most out of the weight I am using.
Anyway good luck this next season Chris, I will be seeing you in Pittsburgh this summer :D

lol, you becoming an old mofo... Im 46 and i tell ya its difficult, almost impossible without gear. I do know that when I turned 35 or so everytime I started training, I would tweak something or get injured. I figured low gh and now with it I dont get injured when training. Also I'm no where near as strong as I was 20years ago no matter how hard I try.

Good post chris. The one thing I think happens with time is this:
When you have maintained a certain amount of muscle mass over a 20-30 yr period. It seems a bit easier to hold on to. On the other hand conditioning
and keeping BF levels down gets a bit harder because of the metabolic slowdown. For me I don't require the amounts of food I once did.
Chris you are only 39 so I would bet some slight adjustments would make a
difference. The real changes with age happened after 45 for me.
I do think some major down time(near fatal motorcycle accident)brought
on age related metabolic changes sooner than they would have been.
I bet you will do very well at masters N A. Good luck

thanks guys...this is all great info...I would love to hear more. Im excited about next year, because of having someone else look at me, beside the guys that train with me. I do think I'll have to adjust my anti-estrogen's and do more cardio than in the past. Plus, I really believe that I'll have to eat much cleaner and stricter than in past years. But, I do believe I'll be able to acheive a level of conditioning in my past year's...

thanks for the info guys and if you have any more advice please share...

Chris- I think 35 seems to be the magical age where things officially become different. There is NO room for error...no late night binges, no cheat days, no cheat meals, no skipping meals or water intake etc....The list is endless but after 35 you need to be meticulous about everything Also learn to listen to what currently works for you and not what used to work for you10 years ago. We become different creatures with time and we need to learn to adapt. I used to be able to pound the calories, but now i seem to grow and maintain on much lower calories but with cleaner foods. My body doesnt like excess amounts of anything....food, calories, carbs, protein, gear, etc.... ALso i used to love the 5 to 8 rep range and responded great. But now i grow better and feel better in the 12 to 20 rep range. All in all really pay attention to what you like and what your body likes and responds to the best.

Chris,
It's a maddening sport we chose to get passionetly involved in, isn't it.
I'll share with you parts of my journey. If you desire, you can view my thread in the member's log section. Having been in the trenches for 30+ years, I'll share with you some truths I believe would be helpful, realizng there are many opinions out there and that mine are no greater than anyone else's. These are truths that I have found work very well for me.

I think what has allowed me to be competitive for so long, even in the open class, has been my concept of staying lean year round. I could probably be contest ready in 6 weeks, but would give myself 12 weeks, mainly to allow the gear to do it's work.

I keep my BF under 10% all the time. This keeps my skin tight which can be our biggest challenge as we get older. I did the bulk up -lean down for years and years, but as I step back and look back, I question it's value. Would I do things different, I honestly don't know.

What I am a huge component of and know has given me good results is high-volume training. For all bodyparts. I use some advanced techniques to help me recover, but I'm certain HV training works well for me.
I purpose this question to you as an example. What is more difficult - doing incline DB chest presses for several sets of 6-8 reps with the 150's.
Or doing several sets of 20 reps with the 80's (that's heavy for me)supersetted with weighted dips for 20 reps using 25 pounds (that's heavy for me). Do a few other combinations same reps range using whatever is heavy for you.
Or do hack squats for 20 reps (185 is heavy for me) supersetted with 20 reps leg press (6 plates total is heavy for me in this example) for 4 sets.
Then do 3 more supersets using similar rep scheme. I throw in calf raises as my rest period.
Or do the usual 4-6 sets of squats with 1-2 min res between sets.
4 sets press or hacks, same deal
4 sets extension 12 reps maybe supersetted with leg curls 12 reps.
You get the picture.
Which would be harder - I think you know
Which would yield more results - I think you know.
When I need a change I use a heavier weight for 5 reps, rest 10 secs, 5 more reps, rest 10, 5 more, rest 10, last five, then supersett with a second exercise performed in same fashion.
That's the concept in a nutshell.
I never repeat exercises combos, I probably do eventually.
I always stay in the bodypart; ie: I don't ss bi's and tri's. I do each separetly.
I train 2 x day, I do 2 20 min HITT cardio sessions a day.
Upright Lifecycle or Stepmill.
Right now I just switched to a 2 day on, one day off mode.
I change bodypart groupings every 6-8 weeks
I change the day on-day off scheme when I change bodypart grouping

My diet is simple: 140-150 grams protein a day, 500-600 grams of complex carbs a day, 14-18 grams fat a day. The only thing I would change in contest mode would be my fats. I would lower them to 3-5 grams a day.
If need be I might add another 20 min Hiit session, but I don't believe I would need to.

Current BF: 9.8%
Current weight: I'm guessing because I truly don't weigh myself very often,
probably mid-high 170's, 180ish.
Age: 52 (nothing loose, nothing hanging, showing slight signs of striations in the glutes).

Next show: July 2012 Masters Nationals Over 35 and Over 50 classes.

If I can be of any assistance, just shout

Mack

I just turned 56 and have the same problems as you guys but to a more promenant degree. I have done 3 cycles of Folli and it turned the clock back for me. I don't have to worry about carbs nearly as much,can train almost as hard, can put on new muscle and strength increase [before I couldn't]. I also find I dont have to work a muscle but 1 time a week. When young I had to work a mucle 2 times a week. For me it's the only way I can lose fat and keep it off. Add some Tb-500 and the injuries have gone.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws