over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Age related lower back issues

Uriah

Registered
Ok, I'm 55, 5'9, 200lbs, and very little B/F. I have started doing DC training and getting good gains since switching. My two favorite training days are quads/glutes and back, however lately I cringed thinking about doing heavy squats and dead lifts. I need a couple months off from doing these as to let my back recover some before I really screw up and get a bulging disk or worst. My abs are solid and do a lot of core exercises. I can still go heavy on leg presses and if do not go over 3 plates hack squats do not bother lower back. Any suggestions on exercises to keep my quads and glutes while taking this time off to recover and also lower back alternative.

If you feel you need a couple of months off, then DC training isn't for you! Find a style that you can lift and stay physically healthy!! DC training wasn't for me either as my back(long history of back issues) and joints couldn't handle it. I did love it for the short time that I did it, but health comes first!!!

I have not lifted heavy for a few years now for my lower body. Take a few to read through this thread.

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/articles-forum/17636-high-reps-growth.html
Thanks for the thread! After being blessed with 30+ plus years of squats and dead lifts it's time to retire these and acknowledge my age. It's feels good to have massive quads at my age however like Bio said health comes first. Like all other injuries I have encounter over the years you learn to adapt and work around it. I loved the feeling and pump doing heavy squats however when your f...ing leg goes numb that may be your clue. This new way of training will hopefully let me continue growth in legs and allow an old man to continue training for another 10 or 20 years.:lightbulb:

I would give rack pulls a try....not so taxing as deads but I feel the work the whole back just as well. You can find samples on YouTube to check for proper form/techniques ...maybe those will work for ya!!

Uriah I'm 57 and I did my squats and deads many years ago. At this point I just don't want to do them anymore. For the last few years I have done leg presses for high reps as my core leg training exercise and use moderate weights and higher reps for everything else as well. I have lost no size whatsoever and I think i look better than in the past. You will be fine!

BAck

Im 42 and have had back surgery. Lower s6 discectomy/ very good Dr. and outcome. The issue not weight room related. Ive lifted for 10 years. I want to say I too avoided the squat deadlift free weights but over the last year went back. 1st since surgery. Its been a great year in that area. Done with strict form and having to restrict weight lifted its still very beneficial. I cant hardly replace these exercises with anything really. I had someone a pro power lifter point out the error in my form and its been fine ever since.
For a time I thought there was age related back pain. I know now that it was a problem getting worse that age had not done. Some of us have degenerative disc and they bulge. Im sure the 405lb squats and deadlifts had some pressure there and didnt help any. It took 18 months before I returned to the weights afterwords. I fell on my ass and bulged the disc. A hard fall, while training for a marathon.
My deads are at 225 and stay there. Reps. Squats the same and added lunges. Legs are great and core is there for growth.

I have not lifted heavy for a few years now for my lower body. Take a few to read through this thread.

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/articles-forum/17636-high-reps-growth.html

Matt,

Although Chris Cormier has delt with many drug demons (not gear) over his journey, I am in 100% agreement.
I am living proof that leg press and hacks are better for leg growth, shape, density, and separation. From 20-35 I was big into squatting heavy, failure,
death sets. etc.
From 36-52 I squatted less and less, now almost never, why bother.
Squats put more work load on glutes, hams, hip flexors and low back regardless of your foot stance. Hacks and presses, the exact opposite. Why would my legs have made more quality gains in the last 15 years, than the first 15 years when I was younger, stronger and used tons more gear?
Keep in mind that set wise I work my hams = to my quads with same rep scheme and intensity.

The answer is heavy-high rep-high volume One arguement is that quads, hams and cals have a higher degree of mitochondria fibers, which get triggered when reps are higher. This does not mean the training can be light and easy. Heavy for 20+ is not only physically harder than heavy for 8-10
but it also requires way more focus and way more mind-muscle connection.

My opinion for what it's worth

Mack

Hey man my quick input on this I'm 24 I do a variety of training one weeks I'll lift very heavy 6-8 reps following week I'll high high rep back does bother me well use to if I sit up too long long car ride.. I started going to a chiropractor it really helps me

if a sponsor would man up and offer adequan, my workouts would be MUCH more productive!

Google Ichon, Its the exact same compound thats in Adequan its just marketed for a different use. I have use it on my lab rats and my dog with out seeing a difference from using Adequan.

Can't help you with the deads, but I have gone to two items that have allowed me to continue squatting. I now high bar squat (former powerlifter) using a "Manta Ray" (i know :() but the more upright position almost completely reduces the lower back strain vs resting the bar low. The second is a belt that suspends/carries the weight between your legs. The pressure of the weight is carried on your hips. I bought one through Ironmind. This thing is excellent. Allows me to still use heavy weight without any worry of back issues.

Thanks Matt, Bio, Tom and all the others that gave input on this. Thought life would be over without squats. Got one of the best leg workouts ever today. Wished I listen to my body earlier. Used to do rack pulls years ago so pretty sure that's going to work instead of off the floor. Will try them next back day. Thanks again!:headbang:

Why not preexhaust the the quads and hams proir to you heavy movements! This is very effective and ruduces the total amount required when moving on to your bread and butter lifts.

What is your lower back pain like? Is it like a burning pump that is extremely annoying? I had a pain like this and I didn't lower my training at all. I fixed the problem completely by doing a lot of lower back, glute, and hamstring stretches. It happened to me from growing to fast and not maintaining flexibility which caused my gluts and hammies to pull on my lower back.

What is your lower back pain like? Is it like a burning pump that is extremely annoying? I had a pain like this and I didn't lower my training at all. I fixed the problem completely by doing a lot of lower back, glute, and hamstring stretches. It happened to me from growing to fast and not maintaining flexibility which caused my gluts and hammies to pull on my lower back.
I have Scoliosis(curvature of spine) which for years never really affected me. Have always kept my lower back strong, along with abs, however after bad motor cycle wreck have torn right side lower back muscle which I believe would be considered a spinal erector and cannot be repaired. This causes pulling on one side to compensate for it and causes pinch nerve that will leave my left leg numb and also painful to stand for any length of time. I feel lower back, quads and hams are a must to keep strong so have to be able to work around this unfortunate injury.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear