Big A

IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IFBB PROS
JUDGES
Registered
Newbies
This forum is set up so competitors (male or female) in either bodybuilding, fitness or figure, can post their pics and have their physiques evaluated by officially certified IFBB, NPC and NABBA judges.

You need to post photos of each of the compulsory poses to have a proper evaluation, but of course that is optional.

Anyone can start a thread but only the thread starter and the Judges can post replies in that thread.
So whomever puts their photos up for critique does not have to worry about other people commenting on their photos, only Judges.

This forum is only for what is mentioned above, anything else will be erased.
If you wish to post photos without being critiqued, do so in the Member's Photos Forum.
If you have questions regarding anything else, please post them in their appropriate forums.

Last edited:
Also, I would like every one of the Judges to introduce themselves on this thread so the members know you and where you are judging (country, state, federation, etc).

Myself, I judge in the NPC in Western Australia and my average is 97%+.

Hello

I just wanted to say hi and to introduce myself. I have been judging in Canada, Washington and Oregon for 18 years. I competed in the early 90's in Canada and am currently the NPC Vice Chairman and State Head judge as well judging co-ordinator for the state of Washington. I suggested this forum to Big A thinking it would be great to get some feedback for those currently competing.....so let's see some pics so I don't look like an ass :cool:

Guys, just want to introduce myself, I'm an NPC state judge here in sunny
Florida, 2nd biggest bodybuilding state in the union next to California.

Having competed many years myself, I know there is no such thing as the
"perfect package" on stage, just the "best" one. So any criticisms leveled,
please don't take personally!

Look forward to working with all of you!

Worldspan

I guess I'll start off with a brief competition history. I began competiting in the AAU back in the 80's. I won the Teen State show twice and went on to win the Teenage America. I then left the AAU for the NPC when I moved into the men's division. I competed in 16 shows winning my class in 14 of them. I finally decided to hang up my trunks in 2001 as I realize I didn't have what it would take to compete successfully on the National level without killing myself.LOL
I began Judging in 2002 in the MidWest USA for the NPC. I also do some contest prep on the side with a few National and State level males and females.
I'll try my best to help out on this forum. I wish I had this option avaliable to me when I was competiting.

G'day all. I'm a Local, state and national am. judge with the IFBB here in Oz and an IFBB pro judge. Having judged cormier, coleman, Dex, leverone, DJ, and others.
i'm also an active, although rookie, IFBB pro BBer (next show is in three weeks from today) after winning the Aust titles three times (in different weight divisions) Most recently last year.
Hope i can give some fair critiques and help those reach thier next goals, regardless of on stage or off.

JUDGES' CRITIQUE FORUM: Lou Messina

I have been a national-level judge with NABBA/USA for ten years. I have also covered NPC pro-qualifiers and IFBB pro events, from the Olympia on down, as credentialed press for the same period.

I would say most of what I picked up is not from my training or judging, but from returning from events with a significant number of photos. I just returned from the Canadian National Bodybuilding Championships with 400 photos. This affords me the opportunity to examine the competitors' physiques in more detail, and with more time, than we are able to do when judging. I find many traits this way, as there is not enough time to examine everyone in detail during the judging process.

Hi and thankyou for inviting me to contribute here. ;)
I've been training and competing for 18 years, and judging since 1996 with the NPC/IFBB in Australia.
One thing that I find competitors have the hardest time dealing with is that when you are on stage it is ALL comparisons. You may look awesome at the gym, in the street, etc but when you are in a line up it's all about how you compare to the others. Doesn't seem fair when you've busted your butt 150% but that's what it comes down to.
Looking forward to, hopefully, giving some constructive help. :)

Introduction

Hi folks!

My name is Ken Taylor, hence the "KenT". I've been judging with the NPC in Southern California for just over 20 years, have been judging national NPC shows since 1989, and IFBB pro shows since 1990. Have also had the pleasure of accompanying U.S. teams to the IFBB world championships 3 times (including going with the women to the beautiful "down under" of Sydney in 1999, staying at Coogee beach and having an absolute blast!), with the fourth coming up in a couple of months in Shanghai.

This is my hobby, and I have a more than full-time job -- so I won't be able to visit very often. I'll do the best I can. I suspect that I'll pick and choose and comment on the more advanced competitors. No disrespect to those who are starting out, but generally that comment has to be to keep working and gain size overall.

A couple of general comments:
1. Remember that good judges are always judging the whole physique at all times, regardless of the name of a particular pose;
2. Remember that judging is more about weaknesses than about strengths. If in the process of showing a strength you expose a weakness, it will probably cost you more than you gain.

However this board came about, this is a great idea and I hope it is helpful to competitors -- you are what it is all about.

KenT

Wow! Lots of experience here!! I actually was "tutored" a bit by KenT up above me. He came to Colorado to handle a judging seminar a few months ago and taught us a lot. Great guy! :D

Anyway, I've been into BBing since 1996 and have been lifting since then. I started lifting serious in 1997 and got up to 275lbs @ 5' 10". I was ready to compete for the first time and ended up with a bad bout of the Flu. I didn't eat or sleep for 13 days because of my horrible coughing. I ended up being sick for about 3 months. I lost all of my muscle and was 190lbs when I was finally healthy enough to walk up stairs again.

This sent me into a bit of depression (self diagnosed) and I stayed out of the gym until last year. I'm back at it and training heavy again. I follwed BBing the whole time I was out though.

I've been judging 3 years and spent a little over 1 year test judging (our old Chief judge was slacking on me a bit).

I'm a reformed mass monster lover. I now appreciate aesthetics and the overall balance of a physique. I believe that a Bodybuilding show is just that... so I do not reward a conditioned and skinny competitor over a quite larger and softer competitor. Balance is my priority when judging. It used to be mass.

Glad to be here. :D

worldspan said:
Guys, just want to introduce myself, I'm an NPC state judge here in sunny
Florida, 2nd biggest bodybuilding state in the union next to California.

Having competed many years myself, I know there is no such thing as the
"perfect package" on stage, just the "best" one. So any criticisms leveled,
please don't take personally!

Look forward to working with all of you!

Worldspan
June 2006 Correction. Florida is now #1 in bodybuilding in United States,
only state with three NPC districts, and more contests scheduled in 2006
than any other state.

Florida bodybuilding moving to new heights on June 24th with the
first Florida-Bahamas Invitational, some of our best competitors here
traveling to the Bahamas to compete with locals there along with
a team of judges including myself.

Worldspan

Aloha everyone!

I'm the NPC Chief Judge (along with my husband Cam aka., ParadiseCup) for the state of Colorado. I have been judging a little over 4 years.

I just competed in my State show a couple weeks ago; (prior to this competition the last time I competed was back in '95). I won the overall in Novice Figure, Class A in Open Figure, Masters and Open BB'ing. Cam and I also won the Team Award-which was totally sweet! I'll be heading off to Vegas next year to give it a shot at the USA's in Figure. Wish me luck.

Tracy

I would like to introduce myself.I've been a judge since 1999 at the local and regional level,its part of the IFBB Federation that is in the Ontairo,Canada .I've been trying to move up the ranks but seems like the other judges don't want to pack it up so i hang in until i get chance to test judge a State Level show.I have competed in many shows since 1996-2002 with many great placing as a lightweight and middleweight,will hit the stage again but working on the balance problem.

Hello all! I'm an NPC judge in the great state of Oklahoma! I'm also a competitor and I train competitors. Glad to be a part of this great forum.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131