over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Alpha lipoic acid

fatboy07

Registered
Has anybody taking Alpha lipoic acid and what resultes did it give you?

I use the r-form- its good to use between slin cycles, not too mention does good for the liver as an antioxidant along with NAC.
Improves insulin sensititvity.

It gives me acid reflux.

There are multiple forms of ala available. Least bioavailable is straight ALA, then R-ALA is better and best by several folds is NA-R-ALA. The company GeroNova Research has the patent on NA-RALA and you can either get it from them directly or get the Doctor's Best BioEhanced NA-RALA which has GeroNovoa's in the caps and even has their logo on the bottle. I would not honestly waste my time with any other form of it if that is what you plan to use.

There are multiple forms of ala available. Least bioavailable is straight ALA, then R-ALA is better and best by several folds is NA-R-ALA. The company GeroNova Research has the patent on NA-RALA and you can either get it from them directly or get the Doctor's Best BioEhanced NA-RALA which has GeroNovoa's in the caps and even has their logo on the bottle. I would not honestly waste my time with any other form of it if that is what you plan to use.

Nutraplanet also sells bulk na-rala sourced from GeroNovoa. If you can buy direct it's probably cheaper.

I am going to get a little more nerdy for people that want more details. ALA exists in the R and S form. They are mirror images of each other just like our left and right hands. The key is they are not identical but mirror images of each other and yes there is a difference. The problem is that our body can not use or absorb the S version. So when you take 600mg of ALA you are only taking 300mg of R-ALA. I wish it stopped there but it doesnt. Research shows that just the presence of the S-ALA further inhibits absorption of the R version. So even less than 300mg gets absorbed.

Then we have formulations that are pure R-ALA which is way better. Now one thing to know that 99% of ALA and R-ALA comes from China. For whatever that is worth it is a fact. Also R-ALA has an extremely short half life and when taking R-ALA (non stabilized) it goes away so quickly that peak serum levels are often not reached.

GeraNova out of California and their scientists stabilized the R-ALA with sodium (Na) and stabilized the R-ALA. This increases peak serum levels 2-3x folds. So you can take significantly less and still have better peak values. I am sure the many different GDA agents work fine but if i was doing this i would make sure to take the NA-RALA version.

It's a supplement that I use year round, but I'm not sure if I can tell any difference in the way my body looks. However, it has done wonders for my liver.

It's a supplement that I use year round, but I'm not sure if I can tell any difference in the way my body looks. However, it has done wonders for my liver.

Interesting. Liver values improved on it eh? What form and dosage do you primarily use? I've just been using standard ala in a alcar/ala blend capsule. They have a synergy together. I feel like if you're using regular ala, you need to take more. This is 300mg per combo cap, I take 2, so 600mg before meals.

Discohornet's post regarding ALA

I've worked in the supplement industry since early 2000 and I have seen a number of owners/authors do a great job of spinning information in a way they see fits their ends.

R-ALA is a fantastic water-soluble AND fat-soluble anti-oxidant. It has the ability to not only squash free radicals, but to recharge vitamin c and e. Because of its unique effects, it can do some amazing things for glucose sensitivity, and it can undo the damage of eating a high carbohydrate diet. Say what you want about carbohydrates being bad or good - the bottom line is, we were never intended to consume the food-stuffs we consume, laden with tons of processed starchy and sugary carbohydrate. R-Ala, the r isomer of Alpha Lipoic Acid, helps to alleviate some of this stress and does this better than any other anti-oxidant I can think of.

So why bother with Na R-ALA? I can end the discussion right here by saying it was NOT some kind of attempt to provide CHEAP ALA. Say what you want about the findings surrounding what I am about to explain, but to argue that Na R-ALA is a cheap solution is a complete misunderstanding. No, that's not fair. Saying it is a misunderstanding is giving too much credit to anyone who would make that point.

If you know anything about Alpha Lipoic Acid, especially the pure R isomer, you know that its very nature as an anti-oxidant makes it sensitive to stuff like oxygen. Any pure anti-oxidant will undergo a transformation if left exposed to the air, and being in a gelatin capsule is not some kind of Superman Protection Crystal. Stuff in a gelatin capsule is being exposed to air quite a bit. So R-ALA is not an exception - it reacts with oxygen, donates its electron and becomes less than useful. It also becomes a gummy sticky substance that makes it pretty useless as a tool to investigate oxidation. It turns into a plastic almost.

Na R-ALA is a sodium salt of R-ALA. By combining the sodium and Alpha Lipoic Acid, you get a very stable molecule which comes apart during digestion. So in essence you have protected the ALA from polymerizing while sitting on the shelf, and once it gets into the body, the sodium is cleaved and you have active ALA.

Is it cheaper gram for gram than R-ALA? Well it is, in the sense that there is less R-ALA per gram because we now have a sodium molecule involved in the weight.

I'm not going to argue with Ulter because I don't have the level of scientific understanding it takes to go the next level up and argue some of the more advanced principles of this.

But I will simply say this. Na R-ALA is a stable form of R-ALA. An unstable R-ALA is losing its effectiveness the moment it is made and polymerization of the ALA is a very real issue.

If I had a bottle of R-ALA and a bottle of Na R-ALA and both products were freshly made, I would find probably very little difference in the results I get. But there is a very real concern over time, that the R-ALA degrades and polymerizes (turns into a plastic kind of substance). Anything that is a powerful anti-oxidant, is a powerful anti-oxidant because it reacts with molecules that are missing electrons. And when it interacts with oxygen and other molecules, it loses it's ability to be a successful anti-oxidant (unless we're talking about Methylene Blue which possesses a unique ability to switch from reduced to oxidized).

The bottom line: Is it going to make a world of difference? If Na R-ALA was three times as much as R-ALA would I buy it? Probably not. But the argument that Na R-ALA is being used only because it is cheap and therefore it is inferior, is a statement that would be pulverized by anyone with a little bit of common sense, and a better understanding of the nature of anti-oxidants in general, and ALA specifically.

I would love for him to chime in. As some of you know, Disco brings a lot to this board. Enjoy!!!!

Interesting. Liver values improved on it eh? What form and dosage do you primarily use? I've just been using standard ala in a alcar/ala blend capsule. They have a synergy together. I feel like if you're using regular ala, you need to take more. This is 300mg per combo cap, I take 2, so 600mg before meals.

I 1200mg daily of ALA. Most of the time, 400 mg of it is in the r-ala form. I have some Alcar but I just don't ever use it.

I only use the r-ala enantiomer Glucorell.

I thought K-r-ala was awesome as well

If its giving me acid reflux, is it okay if I take it with fix oil in an effort to try to keep it from burning.

I have used it daily 1200 dose for liver values.

r-ALA is a staple for me when it comes to liver health.

I can't prove a connection, or even say that I've ever heard it before, but my skin seems healthier when I use ALA...less pimples...not as dry and itchy in the winter...just an observation...I'm sure there are other factors involved.

results? i dunno.. i just take it because it was recommended.

So what dose of Na r ala is recommended/excellent?

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear