over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

alternative for heavy deadlifts??

doktorspok

Registered
anyone have any good alternatives for heavy deads? i just cant do them, dont know why i always end up being to stiff and using my lower back to much. stiff leg deads are no problem. are deads necessary for big size gains?? any of the big guys out there on the board that dont use heavy deads for masss building?

DOK

Do you do squats?

Deadlifts are close to a squat but you hold the bar in your hands. Perhaps use some chaulk and let the bar slide up your shins then keep it as close to your body as possible.

What are you doing them for? Back? If you havent tried already-try half deadlifts (from just below the knees in a power rack).

MikeS said:
What are you doing them for? Back? If you havent tried already-try half deadlifts (from just below the knees in a power rack).

MikeS is right ,this one takes out the legs and slaps beef on the back

MikeS said:

This is better IMO because the hams and most of the quads are taken out of the movement-allowing you to really feel the lats and traps bear the brunt of the load.

I wondered why guys did half deads and I always thought full deads used too much leg.

DUhhhhhhhhhhh Ok thanks for the info guys. Half deads come Monday.

doktorspok said:
anyone have any good alternatives for heavy deads? i just cant do them, dont know why i always end up being to stiff and using my lower back to much. stiff leg deads are no problem. are deads necessary for big size gains?? any of the big guys out there on the board that dont use heavy deads for masss building?

DOK

What is your height? Im 6'5 and the problem was not with the dead but with the reps. IT put to much pressure on my lower back bending and going down. Now I do via 1RM (with lots of warmups) and when I get to the top I just drop it. 0 problems. Also, doing via 1RM ive able to track my progress and see how im doing. Just my 0.02

T-BAR DEADLIFTS are a great alternative when you stand in a trap bar squat down and lift up. reduces strain so much and work the legs alot more too.

hey how does every one maintain grip on the bar, it seems whenever I go over 400 I always end up losing skin on my hands, ive tried wraps but I hate how they feel; any suggestions on how to stop the tearing? i workout at a family fitness place and people have been giving me dirt looks when I leave the powerlifting pad with blood on my hands lol

crackerjack414 said:
hey how does every one maintain grip on the bar, it seems whenever I go over 400 I always end up losing skin on my hands, ive tried wraps but I hate how they feel; any suggestions on how to stop the tearing? i workout at a family fitness place and people have been giving me dirt looks when I leave the powerlifting pad with blood on my hands lol

You gotta get your grip stronger. Usually your forearm strength increases as your back strength increases if not then just use the straps and get used to it.

I have the answer

first I dont care what anyone here says, Deadlifts are the best movement for overall thickness and pure mass development. Your problem is what used to happened to me early on in my first years of training. I too used to use my lower back, and it would hurt like hell afterwards. The answer, USE YOUR LEGS! At first use lighter weight to get the form down , then progress from there. Your going to feel like your not doing back, but your ass and legs, but trust me your doing back too. i have to say that deadlifts are what gave me "the Bodybuilder" look.

deads

just my .02 worth. but, i have to agree with jonny b. deads are the absolute best overall body exercise out there. and i mean full motion deads....practice your form..keep your head up..i mean looking at the ceiling up. drag the bar up your shins....should be bleeding from your shins...try baby powder on your legs helps alot...feet little wider than shoulders....drop your butt down to the floor, use the legs to stand up...keep back straight yet "flexed" dragin the bar up your legs just stand up..keepin eyes looking at ceiling not the mirror....my back is a little tight after deads...but not serious.....all my lifts are stronger when i dead regulary. my back has really improved., wider, thicker, stronger....makes my fat waist look smaller....lol.....good luck bro....also try "farmers walk" to strengthen the grip...walk around with heavy dumbells in your hands.....increase time and weight..be suprised....my grip is pretty good now after doing those for about a year.

try doing them off the rack for a while. that way your not going so deep with them. but YES, there are huge for all out thickness. atleast for myself they are. what kind of stance are you useing? you can do sumo stance and it's alot easier on the lower back. also, drop the weight fpr a while and work on the form. concentrate on sitting down. get the weight back on your heels and pull with your chin and chest. Never watch yourself in the mirror. your head will follor your eyes and so on. look straight up and pull. hope this may work for ya bro.
good luck and be safe...

bigger....

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear