advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Am I doing too much cardio for offseason training?

jackedrabbit

Registered
I'm currently trying to gain mass and I've always had a hard time doing so. I am not naturally lean and can put on fat like anyone else. People just think I am a natural lean guy because I've never really been fat due to strict diet and cardio protocol.

However, bb is about size and I need it. So this offseason I really want to grow but I still love my cardio. It is a good habit..

Currently I am doing 30 minutes low intensity post workout and then at night I like to walk for 60 minutes outside after a meal. So total of 90 minutes per day.

I pick ONE day to do HIT cardio - 10 x 100m sprints. This takes me about 15 minutes, and then at night like always, I walk for an hour.

IF I EAT ENOUGH, can I continue doing this? Or will it impact recovery either way and I should stop?

I think that it tends to effect your recovery ability negatively... not the super low intensity stuff like walking, but jogging/running and the HIIT sprints.

But then again, some experienced trainers like Dante recommend cardio during the offseason.

Yeah I definitely don't want sore legs when I'm trying to squat or deadlift.

I just love HIT though...it feels amazing, makes you feel fucking alive. The low intensity stuff is more so for me and my girl to destress and talk about our day, etc. We walk for like, 3.5 miles.

Maybe I'll just drop some intervals...do 5 instead of 10, something like that. I just want to keep my aerobic capacity up there. No need to get bloated and winded.

for me personally even when I was in gain mode I always kept some cardio in to keep my appetite up and help stay lean and increase recovery...for that it was something like 20-30 min after workouts...you could try to cut the cardio back slightly and see what happens...

for me personally even when I was in gain mode I always kept some cardio in to keep my appetite up and help stay lean and increase recovery...for that it was something like 20-30 min after workouts...you could try to cut the cardio back slightly and see what happens...

Yeah I'll probably end up lowering the volume, but never cutting it out completely. Right now my diet coach is ramping up my cals, so I may keep cardio the same to isolate variables.

Whats ur diet coaches opionion on ur cardio? Thats what i go by

He told me to drop the HIT so I get ONE FULL DAY of rest....

No to come off as an ass but if you paid this guy, why wouldn't you drop the HIT cardio and follow his advice 100%. I mean you paid the guy for his expertise, you may think you're doing yourself a favor but in the long run you might not be.
Personally I would cut the HIT and listen to the person I paid to make the decisions for me, otherwise why pay him in the first place. I would think that one of the reasons to hire someone is to not have to worry about stuff like this. If you feel your adding fat at an unreasonable clip say something to them about and if they listen and adjust to something you're more comfortable with you know you have a decent diet guy on your hands.

No to come off as an ass but if you paid this guy, why wouldn't you drop the HIT cardio and follow his advice 100%. I mean you paid the guy for his expertise, you may think you're doing yourself a favor but in the long run you might not be.
Personally I would cut the HIT and listen to the person I paid to make the decisions for me, otherwise why pay him in the first place. I would think that one of the reasons to hire someone is to not have to worry about stuff like this. If you feel your adding fat at an unreasonable clip say something to them about and if they listen and adjust to something you're more comfortable with you know you have a decent diet guy on your hands.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. lol.

Can't let my ocd get the best of me. We emailed about this and I told my coach I'd take the day off tomorrow. Got arms on Sat and Legs on Sun.

I would drop the HIT but keep the night walks and steady state. I find it helps me recover and after a long session on the treadmill I am so freaking hungry getting in meals is quite easy!

This article by Shelby was posted online recently, hope it gives you the ideas to help you with your situation.

**broken link removed**

Drop HIT, this does more to inhibit muscle growth and very little overall effect on bodyfat loss. Any bodyfat loss with HIT will come at great expense to recovery and muscle gain. Keeping bodyfat off is always a matter of lower intensity, longer duration cardio. 30 minutes daily either in the AM or post workout will do you best. Your coach is right on the money!

Peace,
M2M:cool:

I too..like to do some cardio in the off season. I do about 30-45 min EOD ...I norm. do it every 3rd day but my girl does cardio on day we dont train so I do cardio with her. But the cardio keeps me lose....my lifts go up as well...legs mostly but even upper body...it helps me sleep better...and it helps get my hunger up. I dont do anything real intense at all. I go on the elip. and do about 3-3.5 mph...really dqueezing my legs and glutes when I am doing it. I dont thinkit hinders my gains any at all...infact I have learned over the years that it helps me out more then anything...I dont like to go over 10% bodyfat and because of the few hours a week in cardio I do I am able to eat alittle more then I would be able to without it.

No to come off as an ass but if you paid this guy, why wouldn't you drop the HIT cardio and follow his advice 100%. I mean you paid the guy for his expertise, you may think you're doing yourself a favor but in the long run you might not be. Personally I would cut the HIT and listen to the person I paid to make the decisions for me, otherwise why pay him in the first place. I would think that one of the reasons to hire someone is to not have to worry about stuff like this. If you feel your adding fat at an unreasonable clip say something to them about and if they listen and adjust to something you're more comfortable with you know you have a decent diet guy on your hands.

anser is right there, listen to ur diet coach

if you dont wanna listen to him, then stop paying him n spend the money you save on more gear or protein LOL

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Urs
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws