over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Amino acid powder or capsules

comedycentral

Registered
Can somebody explain the benefits downsides of each please

I still find bcaa a little confusing to say the least.

What's the best option as I'm trying to maximise peri workout nutrition as a natty athlete.

Please note you cannot get lba's here in the uk before anyone mentions them

What are people's dosing protocols for bcaa max benefits
Thank you

get the caps, becuase the powders taste like shit. welll i buy the 150 serving kind with no flavor too, doesnt mix well or anything

What's the best option as I'm trying to maximise peri workout nutrition as a natty athlete.
I think maximizing is the same no matter what you do and what your definition of natural is

that being said 3-1 ratio leucine, iso, val.(most are already set up this way)
I would also utilize some carbs to continue the spike from the bcaas
(other supps can be added as well besides bcaa's)
think about getting some in before and after as well, not just during
possibly some carbs and xtra leucine after, followed later by whey and more carbs(ie, waxy,karbolyn)

@ a year old study

Amino acid mix with added leucine makes muscles grow faster
Reduce the amount of other amino acids, but add more leucine. The result: a supplement, sports drink or shake that stimulates exercise-induced muscle growth better than similar protein products. Researchers at Tufts University and the American army published the results of an experiment they did in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
Leucine is an interesting amino acid. Muscle cells can 'see' leucine, as it were, and depending on the number of 'leucine prompts' they've had, they decide how hard they want to make their anabolic machinery work. The more leucine a muscle cell contains, the more energy the cell invests in building up muscle proteins.

The researchers got the soldiers to cycle for an hour at 50-60 percent of their VO2max, a level at which they were unable to hold a conversation. During that hour the subjects drank a total of 500 ml of a sports drink containing 10 g amino acids. On one occasion the soldiers got a standard mix [EAA]; on the other they got a mix containing extra leucine and less of the other amino acids [L-EAA]. The EAA mix contained 1.9 g leucine; the L-EAA mix contained 3.5 g leucine.

When the researchers examined muscle fibre samples, they noticed that the leucine-rich mix resulted in 33 percent more muscle protein synthesis than the standard mix. That's a statistically significant difference. This was partly because the extra leucine reduced the breakdown of muscle tissue. And these effects were statistically significant too.

The researchers have not yet worked out how extra leucine boosts muscle growth. The theory is that leucine activates anabolic signal molecules like IRS-1, Akt and mTOR, but the researchers found no evidence of this. Other more recent studies have shown evidence however. So leucine works, but probably in a different way to how we think it does.

"Consumption of a 10-g dose of EAA enriched with leucine during moderate endurance-type exercise stimulated increased MPS when compared with an isonitrogenous EAA supplement with an amino acid profile consistent with high quality proteins", the researchers write. "Increasing leucine availability during steady state exercise promotes skeletal muscle protein anabolism and spares endogenous protein."

Source:
Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 Sep;94(3):809-18.

^^^Thisx100

Leucine doesnt get enough attention. My work out amino acid routine is:

1) 30min before work out 10g 4:1:1 BCAA Plus 5g of instantized Leucine
2) During work out in my Karbolin drink add 10gr of 4:1:1 BCAA Plus 5 g Leucine
3) Post work out when protein with 5g or Leucine

Lots of misinformation and misunderstanding regarding this unique branched chain amino acid..

I suggest everyone looks at "HICA". Do a google ;)

Lots of misinformation and misunderstanding regarding this unique branched chain amino acid..

So when will SSE be releasing HICA? ;)

Nice to see ya Ross. Love your rants.

I only use BCAA when dieting heavily. They act as a final barrier before catabolism. If your diet is in check, I don't think you really need them (although some do taste good and).

Leucine alone on the other hand might be a different story. I've read a lot of studies that claim it has healing benefits and that it aids in protein synthesis. However:

"Leucine must be delivered within the envelope of nutritionally “complete” protein sources..."

I say stick to a good protein powder and save BCAA for when you are dieting hard.

bcaas are very important especially post workout i prefer capsules b/c of convenience

"Leucine must be delivered within the envelope of nutritionally “complete” protein sources..."

This is very a inaccurate statement. could not be further from the truth
if this is true, tryptophan wouldn't work, arginine =nothing, glutamine=no blood sugar stabilizing, Phenylalanine= no headaches for anyone
etc etc etc
aminos have very powerful properties alone, in a unique combo, and of course all together

I prefer full spectrum aminos before, during and immediately after training. Only use an amino tab that tastes like battery acid when you chew it up.

Add in whatever ancillaries you feel you need but just be sure to use tabs that taste like complete shizznit.

No highly effective amino powder will be tolerable in powder form. I don't care if it's PeptoPro, hydro whey or whatever. All high grade aminos come in tablet form because few bodybuilders have the gumption to endure foul tasting amino powder even if they think they'll gain a few more pounds of muscle.

If you're rich go for Mauro's Metabolic Diet Amino. Hydrolyzed down to, according to them, the optimal 87%. They taste horrendous and thus are superior. ;)

Last edited:
According to my diet guy and the pro guru guys, they recommend powder. Handy Rambods line is good quality. Evogen Cell KEM. Tastes great and is a Bcaa powder with plenty of extra goodies

According to my diet guy and the pro guru guys, they recommend powder. Handy Rambods line is good quality. Evogen Cell KEM. Tastes great and is a Bcaa powder with plenty of extra goodies

Well, by all means, listen to your "diet guy and the pro guru guys" and forget about finding out for your own self whether it has merit or is complete rubbish.

Last edited:
I prefer full spectrum aminos before, during and immediately after training. Only use an amino tab that tastes like battery acid when you chew it up.

Add in whatever ancillaries you feel you need but just be sure to use tabs that taste like complete shizznit.

No highly effective amino powder will be tolerable in powder form. I don't care if it's PeptoPro, hydro whey or whatever. All high grade aminos come in tablet form because few bodybuilders have the gumption to endure foul tasting amino powder even if they think they'll gain a few more pounds of muscle.

If you're rich go for Mauro's Metabolic Diet Amino. Hydrolyzed down to, according to them, the optimal 87%. They taste horrendous and thus are superior. ;)
Have you tried xtend? That is the one amino acid drink I enjoyed.

capsules.

aa's usually don't mix for shit and taste horrible

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner