over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

An American Bodybuilder in Japan

Aside from any concern of a BB diet, what are your favorite Japanese dishes? I've always wanted to try authentic Japanese food.

Food is a very big part of Japanese life, similar to the French.
While everyone knows sushi and sashimi - and I must insist you try authentic Japanese made sushi someday if you haven't - there are many other foods that are popular.

I don't eat Japanese much when we go out, but when I do (and don't eat sushi) I like yakitori, tonkatsu, and my wife loves takoyaki.
I love a good Ramen, preferably 白丸元味, or white ramen with sliced pork.
I have had okonomiyaki in Osaka and I wasn't a big fan, but it's OK. Shabu-shabu is also good, but should be eaten with others.
When I lived in Hokkaido for a short while I ate Jingisukan (Genghis-khan) a lot as it's a local dish featuring local lamb.
Korean BBQ is also very popular.

My wife is a great cook, and having lived in France and Italy, can cook all varieties, but she makes me some authentic home dishes I love.
My favorite winter comfort food is "nikujyaga", which is chicken thigh meat (or lean shredded beef), carrots, potatoes, onions, and other veggies in a mirin and shoyu base.

In New Years (or 正月 / Oshogatsu), which runs for at least four days here, she makes Ozoni, with a recipe her mother used that is a favorite in the region where her father spent his teen years, Niigata.
Here is this past January's Ozoni along with other traditional "Oshogatstu" foods in the background. This is a soup with chicken, mochi and certain veggies.

20200101_091404.jpg

This is about 6 years old. I wonder if the scene has changed since.

Craft Beer in Japan

Hey Hawkmoon. Like you,my daughter and her mom is from Japan. Kagawa, Takamatsu prefecture. Precovid, used to go every year. Got some storys myself to contribute to your thread. Will add later tonight. Reading your thread brought out good/fun/happy times when I visited Japan. Till then...

明けましておめでとうございます! ご家族ともどもよいとしでありますように!

Take care.
MS

Hey Hawkmoon. Like you,my daughter and her mom is from Japan. Kagawa, Takamatsu prefecture. Precovid, used to go every year. Got some storys myself to contribute to your thread. Will add later tonight. Reading your thread brought out good/fun/happy times when I visited Japan. Till then...

明けましておめでとうございます! ご家族ともどもよいとしでありますように!

Take care.
MS

Fantastic! Please do share. 今年もどうぞよろしくお願いします。

Food is a very big part of Japanese life, similar to the French.
While everyone knows sushi and sashimi - and I must insist you try authentic Japanese made sushi someday if you haven't - there are many other foods that are popular.

I don't eat Japanese much when we go out, but when I do (and don't eat sushi) I like yakitori, tonkatsu, and my wife loves takoyaki.
I love a good Ramen, preferably 白丸元味, or white ramen with sliced pork.
I have had okonomiyaki in Osaka and I wasn't a big fan, but it's OK. Shabu-shabu is also good, but should be eaten with others.
When I lived in Hokkaido for a short while I ate Jingisukan (Genghis-khan) a lot as it's a local dish featuring local lamb.
Korean BBQ is also very popular.

My wife is a great cook, and having lived in France and Italy, can cook all varieties, but she makes me some authentic home dishes I love.
My favorite winter comfort food is "nikujyaga", which is chicken thigh meat (or lean shredded beef), carrots, potatoes, onions, and other veggies in a mirin and shoyu base.

In New Years (or 正月 / Oshogatsu), which runs for at least four days here, she makes Ozoni, with a recipe her mother used that is a favorite in the region where her father spent his teen years, Niigata.
Here is this past January's Ozoni along with other traditional "Oshogatstu" foods in the background. This is a soup with chicken, mochi and certain veggies.

View attachment 124040

Hey Matt, I was always amazed at the accuracy of the 'fake' food displayed in
restaurant windows in Tokyo. Must be a Japanese name for it. Perhaps it is
considered or is an artform 😉 It looked so real to me.

Ron,
Those displays are indeed amazing. I saw a tv show on it several years back. The accuracy is astonishing, but then again it's Japan.
Gives the passer-by a quite accurate idea if what's on the menu though ;)

Everything here is so detailed....I love things like the fact that the underside of the hands on some of my Grand Seikos are polished...almost no one does that.

Supermarket sushi 🍣 20210108_174615.jpg

You know you are in a Tokyo gym when there is a sumo doing tricep pushdowns behind you..... :) sumo-20210129_175419_edited.jpg

You know you are in a Tokyo gym when there is a sumo doing tricep pushdowns behind you..... :)View attachment 125887
I realize they have weight classes, but that guy looks like he is wasting away to nothing for a Sumo rastler... ;) Point him towards eating at American fast food restaurants. He will look like a typical obese American in no time. Too bad you still can't super-size it at McDonalds.......

I realize they have weight classes, but that guy looks like he is wasting away to nothing for a Sumo rastler... ;) Point him towards eating at American fast food restaurants. He will look like a typical obese American in no time. Too bad you still can't super-size it at McDonalds.......

He's a young guy, just starting out. There are two that come together. Ironically they seem to love American Basketball team wear.
There have been Yokozuna in the gym and I met the Estonian sumo wrestler "Baruto" some years back. He's a politician now :)

He's a young guy, just starting out. There are two that come together. Ironically they seem to love American Basketball team wear.
There have been Yokozuna in the gym and I met the Estonian sumo wrestler "Baruto" some years back. He's a politician now :)

is that a grey beard i see? lol, looks like me, man i would like to make a visit to Japan within the next couple of years, what are some good spots that are not about tourist?

is that a grey beard i see? lol, looks like me, man i would like to make a visit to Japan within the next couple of years, what are some good spots that are not about tourist?
I shot right past grey to snow white! :D

It's hard to find a place that's not on a tourist map unless you go out into the other prefectures.
I don't get around too much to be honest, which I think is common when people live in a foreign location for years and years.
I liked driving through Hokkaido though. Beautiful place with nice people and great food.

If you are interested in Tokyo I'd have the regular spots in mind, but just walk the city. Every block it changes. Old buildings right next to the staggeringly new.
Shibuya is being rebuilt into a future city area now, with new buildings opened every quarter or so now.
There are shrines and temples all over, hidden amongst the skyscrapers with no tourists.

Even if you were to get lost you haven't any need to worry as there are train/metro stops everywhere.
Police in the Kobans help people find their way as well - in fact I think that's most of what they do all day.

You look great got your age bro. I woukd really love to visit Japan someday as I heard it’s beautiful. After reading this thread I’m jealous I don’t live there. Things have definitely changed here in the states since you moved to Japan.

You look great got your age bro. I woukd really love to visit Japan someday as I heard it’s beautiful. After reading this thread I’m jealous I don’t live there. Things have definitely changed here in the states since you moved to Japan.

Thank you.

I feel very fortunate in many ways.
I moved here originally to expose my daughter to the Japanese half of her genetic culture, as well as make it easier to deal with her health issues (she has life-threatening allergies and eczema).
I was blessed to get hired to a great job before I even left the US.

Been here over 13 years now.

Thank you.

I feel very fortunate in many ways.
I moved here originally to expose my daughter to the Japanese half of her genetic culture, as well as make it easier to deal with her health issues (she has life-threatening allergies and eczema).
I was blessed to get hired to a great job before I even left the US.

Been here over 13 years now.
I’ve always been fascinated with the Japanese culture. In your initial post you pointed out that one of the biggest issues are the neighboring countries. Is this a growing concern for the Japanese people?

I’ve always been fascinated with the Japanese culture. In your initial post you pointed out that one of the biggest issues are the neighboring countries. Is this a growing concern for the Japanese people?

Too much to get into really, but China and Korea (especially NK) have historical bones to pick with Japan.

South Korea won't move past Japanese occupation, and the politicians there use it to redirect citizen angst with their poor performance.
North Korea has stated several times they want to nuke Japan.
China claims ownership of basically all of Asia, including islands that international law recognizes to be in the custody of the Japanese.

While I sympathize with war time grievances, I think they should follow Japan's example and move on, trying to improve themselves and not make trouble for others to appease internal issues.
After all Japan had two nukes dropped on civilian cities by the US, (and firebombed Tokyo - killing more than the nukes) and the two could not be stronger allies today.

Agree with everything you said and figured as much but wanted your opinion as someone who is American and actually lives there. I don’t trust those countries at all. I definitely wanna visit once things settle down and traveling becomes more lax.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws