over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

An Interview with TrueProtein Sponsored Athlete Dan “gooey” Newmire

Shelby

IFBB PRO / Double Featured Member/Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Many of you know Dan Newmire from the message boards over the years, especially Professional Muscle. He’s the freak with the crazy legs, calves, and chest, offset by his humble and humorous demeanor. He’s built up quite the trophy collection over the years, and is currently preparing for the 2010 NPC Nationals in Atlanta, Georgia in October.

I recently had the opportunity to chat with Dan about his bodybuilding past and future, as well as a host of other topics relating to the iron sport. Here’s a look at that conversation:
STATS
Height: 5'9"
Offseason Weight: depends on how chubby i get... 275-290
Contest Weight: 232-238, trying to get to heavyweight class for nationals this year

SS: How did you get into weight lifting?
DN: I always had a fascination for muscle, and power. I trained with weights for football, but it wasn’t until college when I starting drinking and partying too much and looked like crap and was going down a road I didn’t want to go. A friend who competed helped direct me into bodybuilding once I began to get serious about and train and eat correctly. Then I met a group of fellow meatheads who took me in and started to educate me.
SS: Why bodybuilding?
DN: Because it is hard, a full commitment and competition with one’s self. You have to be fully committed and be able to work hard and work hard consistently. It’s also not mainstream, I never followed the proverbial sheep. I was always fascinated with muscle, power from cartoons, to movies to toys, and so on. I was always drawn to power, and muscle. I used to redraw pictures of Superman and Wolverine because I thought they drew them too small and too skinny to be a true super hero.
SS: Were you always a pretty muscular guy? Always pretty strong?

DN: Not always the strongest, or most powerful. But built, I was the only lineman in high school to have a six pack. I come from a "husky" family where we love to eat... so that part came easy to me. I always got attention though when I took my shirt off asking what I did to look that way... when I really didn’t do much at the time.

SS: When and why did you first decide to compete?
DN: I competed first in the year 2000. A friend of mine thought I would do rather well at the show, thought I had the build and the genetics to do very well in bodybuilding. He was my mentor and one of my dear friends. I stepped on stage and won my class
SS: Tell us about your competition history, and also your competition future.
2000 NPC Iowa State Championships - 1st Lightheavyweight

2001 NPC Iowa State Championships - 1st Heavyweight and Overall

2003 NPC Collegiate Nationals - 3rd Heavyweight

2005 NPC Iowa State Championships - 1st Heavyweight and Overall

2005 NPC Midwest Open - 1st Heavyweight and Overall

2008 NPC Gold's Gym Southeastern Classic - 1st Superheavyweight and Overall

2008 NPC Georgia State Championships - 1st Superheavyweight and Overall

2008 NPC Nationals - DNP

2010 NPC Coastals next weekend, and NPC Nationals (assuming I qualify here at this show)

SS: It looks like you take pretty big breaks in between competitions (a year or two between a lot). Is this so you had ample time to improve, or do you need more down time mentally, a mix of both, or something else?
DN: I think it’s a financial thing but also a life thing that I don’t compete every year. Life for me comes first, I will compete when I am financially able, emotionally able, socially able, and health able. School is my profession now - I want to succeed so I can take care of my family and I know that bodybuilding isn’t a profession where many can make it and make it well financially. It is a hobby for me. I try to keep realistic about bodybuilding and its future with me. I don’t know if I will ever win or ever come close to a pro card, and even if so I don’t know if I did win it, if it would change much more for me. I love bodybuilding and love training. But sometimes the costs can outweigh the benefits and I want to make sure that I don’t fall into the trap where I live a fools dream thinking there is a pot of gold at the end of an IFBB pro card when truly for most there is not... Also I do have many improvements to make, I don’t believe those can be made during a dieting phase unless it is a conditioning goal. I use the offseason to focus on building muscle where I need it and the caloric intake to support the growth.
SS: How has your training style developed over the years?
DN: It has actually stayed quite consistent. It started out as stupid heavy lifts not paying much attention to form and feel, and has now developed to more about feeling the movement and keeping tension constant throughout the actual lift. I train by feel, sometimes I feel good and I push, other times I hold back and just stimulate. I have a certain feeling I seek… not numbers. I do like meat and potatoes heavy compound, old fashioned exercises -- especially free weights. But I do train with machines too. I tend to focus on weak body parts while allowing others to just be... overall yes my training has evolved to a "train smarter" and more efficient session. But I still feel that old school for many different movements is best!

SS: How has your diet style developed over the years?
DN: My off-season diet has changed a lot. I do not try and get as chubby in the offseason with the hope of adding muscle. I do get fluffy because I enjoy food, but I still try to maintain "abs" during offseason. Some people are so afraid to get a little fluffy in their off-season mode, and never seem to make any changes for their next show. My goal is to slap on muscle where I need it so I can create more balance and symmetry while still trying to get that hard grainy show time look.
SS: Where did the name “gooey” come from?
DN: Haha... funny story, one of my late mentors, Mark Kaalberg who was a successful bodybuilder, won the 1997 North American masters overall and had one of the freakiest backs of all time used to, in a good way, belittle many of the meat heads at our gym. One time he came to me and said "Newmire, you are one fat, gooey mess, you should become a bodybuilder because you’re too stupid to do anything else." He was great and is missed more then words can say and was a huge part of growing and learning about the world of bodybuilding.
SS: Would you classify yourself as a mix of endo and mesomorph?
DN: I’ve always been a thick kid who puts on muscle and can get chubby.... no one in my family is considered small... we’re all "husky" lol.. and we all love food. I would consider myself a mix... someone who can gain weight fairly quick but really has to diet and suffer pounds off... it doesn’t fall off me like many others in the industry.
SS: Tell us about your association with TrueProtein. What Trueprotein supplements do you use regularly? Anything special around workouts?
DN: I am currently using: strawberry whey protein isolate (cold filtered), BCAA boost (with caffeine pre cardio), BCAA/Glutamine (throughout day, with meals), Augment (creatine/beta-alanine pre workout), more creatine monohydrate, and just got Dantes new "Burn" thermogenic with yohimbine hcl in it. Offseason I will use the waxy maize post workout, but do to diet I have cut out waxy maize. I don’t use too many thermogenics in the offseason for they are not needed.

SS: What do you consider your best and worst body parts? Do you train them any differently (both strong and weak)?

DN: Everyone talks about my calves. I do not train them, I just walk on them. My uncle has a huge pair of them himself and hasn’t touched a weight in years. It’s a DNA things there.... my chest is pretty good... but I feel my balance of body parts is my best feature... I train for balance, not for freaky body parts to stick out.

SS: You would probably agree that your back is a body part that could use some improvement. What are you / have you been doing to bring it up?
DN: Yes I would consider my back as a point I need to bring up the most, along with the rest of my physique. One thing I did not do when I first started training was deadlifts. Just like flat/incline bench is to chest, deads are to the back. A fundamental foundation builder. I neglected it thinking I could just go with rows and get my back to grow. Another mistake I made is that I just moved weight instead of feeling the actual muscle work. So my form was horrible on rows, especially barbell rows. They became more momentum to do 4 plate rows than the actual muscles I wanted to work doing the work. The two things I did to make some changes in my back were to incorporate rack deads and deadlifts off the floor. I have found that with the rack dead I use less legs and butt and more of my lower back all the way up to my upper back if done correctly. I also dropped the weight and tried to feel what I was pulling with so I wasn’t just heaving weight. Strength comes with time and muscle, I get impatient and want that freaky back now. Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way. So I have gone back to simple movements. Bent over dumbbell row (I feel more of this in my upper back), close grip barbell rows, rack deads, one arm dumbbell rows (if the gym has some nice heavy dumbbells, this one I feel great) Hammer Strength seated one arm rows and 2 arm rows, etc. Lastly I have incorporated more close grip pull downs focusing more on the lower traps. I have made improvements to my back but micro measurements compared to other body parts. It has always been a body part stubborn to react and slow to grow. The better I get about feeling the weight (moreso than how much I lift) and incorporating drop sets, blood volume sets the more I feel my back will respond.

SS: In terms of bodybuilding, where do you see yourself five years from now?
DN: This is a hard question to answer, as bodybuilding has always been a hobby for me... my quote unquote "my me time". I don’t know if I am good enough or will ever be an IFBB pro. Even if I did win a pro card I don’t know how well I would do on that level/ To me family, health, fun is most important. And I have seen bodybuilding destroy some of those things for people and all for what... regardless if I compete I will always (health willing) be in the gym training and moving weight. It’s my passion, it’s my escape from reality. As long as my hobby of bodybuilding doesn’t negatively interfere with the above listed importances to me, then I will continue to compete and enjoy it. I feel what is meant to be will be. If I am meant to be an IFBB pro it will happen. If not, it doesn’t change who I am as a person in driving to be the best I can be in all facets of life.
SS: If you could go back and change anything in your bodybuilding past, what would it be?
DN: I would have done heavy deadlifts instead of thinking they were not needed. I did not build that foundation of my back with those like I needed to and it shows. I’ve enjoyed my run with bodybuilding... I don’t think I would change anything other then that.
SS: What bodybuilder’s physiques do you most admire, and why?
DN: Some of my favorite physiques are also tied in with the person, their character, personality, and work ethic. Kevin Levrone was a favorite cause not only could he hang muscle to muscle with Ronnie and sorts but he also had beauty, shape, stage presence, beautiful posing, and a great work ethic. I love bodybuilders who can show how beautiful the physique can be... I’m not a fan of meathead in your face, screaming posing. It takes away the beauty of it for me. Lastly Jay Cutler, his work ethic, his consistent work, his business sense, the amount of muscle he had... he set new standards for bodybuilding, the lifestyle, the diets, the way to train. He didn’t follow... he led.
SS: What does your family think of your bodybuilding endeavors?
DN: Haha, most think I am nuts to go through it each time. I drive my wife insane with my OCD and regimented lifestyle (even though that’s my offseason too lol). My mom understands the desire to compete, and the drive to be better, and the total commitment that bodybuilding takes in order to succeed. But again she doesn’t like to see me go through it and knows the level of mental, and health stress is creates.
SS: Favorite offseason meal?
DN: I love food... so it’s hard for me to choose. I am from the midwest, nothing beats a big steak dinner, baked potato, cottage cheese and a huge glass of milk! Dessert of course lol.. I’m a big fan of strawberry shortcake, and any ice cream/cake with Reese’s PB cups in it :)
SS: Favorite precontest meal?
DN: Right now I’m digging cold boiled chicken, cut up on green spinach or mixed greens, with Walden farms BBQ sauce and some mustard.
SS: Favorite thing to do, not related to bodybuilding?
DN: I am a huge Ohio State fan... so watching Buckeyes during football season is a must. I am back in school too and I do like studying.. the human body is an amazing thing. And obviously spending time with my wonderful wife when we can find time!
SS: Any advice for the upcoming generation of bodybuilders?
DN: Bodybuilding isn’t easy.. it’s expensive, time consuming, and involves a lot of self suffering and more dedication than the norm perceives. Most do not make money with it, most won’t even flirt with a pro card or top tier amateur status. Train and compete because that’s what makes you happy and you love the lifestyle. But if the lifestyle becomes more of a negative aspect; then one needs to remove themselves from it. It is not worth the health issues, financial strain and other issues it can bring about. The purity of moving weight and seeing your body change and showing others what is possible is what is fun about it... 95% of people cannot do it, hack it or even understand it. Educate yourself, don’t just believe Joe Olympia IFBB pro... knowledge is power... lastly do not place all your eggs in one basket, live the American dream -- family, profession, health, contentment are all much more important then a $10 trophy at a show.

SS: Thanks Dan, best of luck to you in your future endeavors and thanks for taking the time to do this interview.

Attachments

• dan_10.jpg
    dan_10.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 668

Attachments

• dan_2.jpg
    dan_2.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 873

Attachments

• dan_7.jpg
    dan_7.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 689
```

Attachments

• dan_8.jpg
    dan_8.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,035
damn good interview. gooey is one hell of a guy! :headbang:

and very intelligent as he is also an Ohio State Buckeye fan! yea buddy.

Shelby- great interview with my hubby.. and OMG yes he does drives me nuts with his OCD... but I love him to pieces... reese pieces yummmy.. JK honey

and one more thing...

GO BUCKEYES!!

Great interview Shelby..Thanks for posting it. Its nice to get to know pm members,what they think about bb, their lifestyle,family,etc. He seems like such a down to earth guy, and even though this is a hobby for him, it seems like he can make it big in bb; especially with his attitude. GREAT INTERVIEW, AWSOME PHOTOS...Good luck gooey

Damn he has the ideal physique.

Thanks Shelby...

Thought Id also post some pics, Ive yet to do so from the qualifying show I did.. I weighed 238.6 the day of the show and weighed in at 244 the night before. I gonna try and hit heavies for nationals but again dont know if I can get down there again... may be out of my realm but we shall see..

Attachments

• dan coastal 1.jpg
    dan coastal 1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 630
  • dn coastal 2.jpg
    dn coastal 2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 613
  • dn coastal 3.jpg
    dn coastal 3.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 598
  • dn coastal 8.jpg
    dn coastal 8.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 609
  • dn coastal 9.jpg
    dn coastal 9.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 595
More pics...

Here is some more pics....

Attachments

• dn coastal 12.jpg
    dn coastal 12.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 650
Back shots..

I feel I improved my back slightly... lot more to go but def some improvements... and getting conditioning better... still have ways to go though..

Attachments

• dn coastal 13.jpg
    dn coastal 13.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 645
ok done.. sorry lol

Last one and Ill be done....

Attachments

• dn coastal 15.jpg
    dn coastal 15.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 604
Thanks! Enjoyed the read! Too bad majority of competitors don't have your mentality! You do prove that BBíng CAN be a POSTIIVE experience in ones life! Again, thanks for sharing the info! Peace!

PO

WTF??? gooey u are going to be one sick puppy come nationals time, the conditioning for this qualifying show is excellent! you will have a ronnie coleman ass by the time nationals roll around. Damn good job bro..WOW! :eek:

Thanks..

WTF??? gooey u are going to be one sick puppy come nationals time, the conditioning for this qualifying show is excellent! you will have a ronnie coleman ass by the time nationals roll around. Damn good job bro..WOW! :eek:

Im gonna try my best.. my weight is hanging around 238-240... Im hoping to tighten up switching diet around a little to get fire burning again to see if I can try and make heavies without starving my way down. If Im a super well least Ill bring some conditioning with since majority of supers other then Dusty and a few others were much softer then times past. Thanks again to Dante and True Protein for helping me along the way! Appreciate all the feedback my friends!

Great interview! I really admire your commitment to keeping a balance in your life and realizing that while bodybuilding is something you enjoy (and excel at!), it's not everything in life. Congrats on your last show! Your conditioning was crazy! :headbang:

Best of luck at Nationals!

Great interview, thanks Shelby...
Gooey -great pysique -awesome job!

I agree - outstanding Dan - good luck, not that you need it!

JM

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner