over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

An NPC Rule you may not know about

Shelby

IFBB PRO / Double Featured Member/Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
"Only if a competitor's one-year qualification has expired can the athlete enter a State or higher level National qualifier competition, even if they have already won the Overall title".

Attachments

• npc-qual.jpg
    npc-qual.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 725
I am having a hard time understanding the rule.. so you have to wait a year, in order to compete nationally?

I am having a hard time understanding the rule.. so you have to wait a year, in order to compete nationally?

It means that once you're qualified, you can only do national level shows until your qualification expires.

It means that once you're qualified, you can only do national level shows until your qualification expires.

oh ok, thanks for the clarification.. Well, that is pretty shitty. I have seen guys who have only two guys in their class qualify. It really isn't like most top national level guys are just going to small shows and destroying everyone for a trophy.

I assume that this rule isn't really enforced? What about guys like me that are technically qualified to compete on a national stage but would likely be laughed off of it? :D

I'm not an expert on the rules, but I doubt that the info is tracked that closely (the NPC would have to research it, the promoter damn sure wouldn't) and wouldn't become an issue unless some butt muffin dug it up and wanted to get someone DQ'd. I qualified for the nationals at the Coastal USA's in '96 and did the Cory Classic, also a qualifier, less than a year later. Never heard about it or knew about the rule until now.
Someone who is in serious contention for a national title might do well to consider this rule.

I assume that this rule isn't really enforced? What about guys like me that are technically qualified to compete on a national stage but would likely be laughed off of it? :D
Not inforced in my state or the surrounding states.

Interesting

Never heard that one. Interesting, considering the number of people who qualify for Nationals but who are not yet ready for that level of competition. Have you seen that enforced?

On a sidenote question? When did they change the National Qualification from 2 years to one? Prior to that A Top 5 National Competitor had a 5 year qualification. Would those competitors be grandfathered in if qualified before the rule change? Just curious.

Z

Last edited:
Ok well figure you wanna do Nationals, which is usually a few weeks or a month after your state show.

You win your state show.

Next year you want to do nationals, but your qualification will run out on the anniversary of the day you won......so you will need to requalify for nationals since it is only a one year qualification.....

so how does this make sense?

The promoter doesn't want to know since he wants more entrants in his show.

The only person that might complain is someone you compete against and beat after you had earlier in the season won a qualifier.

If they knew you had won and qualified for a national show, they could call foul and get you DQ'ed so they could take the trophy.

This rule also prevents "trophy collecting" though, to a certain extent.

There are definitely guys that like to hang out at the local level and win classes and overalls just for the attention... taking away the possibility for someone lower than them to get a national qualification, trophy, and perhaps overall win.

Texas must not enforce that...Lorenzo jones justvwin his second overall in Texas this year...as well as placing 1st in the master nationals as a light heavy in the 40+ category....he looks great though....although the torn pec and bicep are a little distracting

It is not enforced but it makes sense.. because as Shelby says... if you are already NQ and then you continue to do local NQ's just because you want to and someone else comes in to compete and is trying to get NQ then you take a chance away from them. As Shelby said "trophy collecting"

The other things the article touches on is that you are given one CALENDAR year of NQ not including the year you won.

Ok well figure you wanna do Nationals, which is usually a few weeks or a month after your state show.

You win your state show.

Next year you want to do nationals, but your qualification will run out on the anniversary of the day you won......so you will need to requalify for nationals since it is only a one year qualification.....

so how does this make sense?

Like buffbabe said, you would still be qualified.

Like buffbabe said, you would still be qualified.

Even so...was told by the State Chairman himself that a State Champion is allowed to come back and defend his title if he chooses to do so. One of the top judges and most well known/respected in all of the NPC.

I wouldn't normally care except i want to practice my prep week and have already depleted lol.....i should have an answer in writing tomorrow......

Seriously doubt anyone would enforce this, though.

Old rules of 2yrs qualification made the most sense...avoided both sides of the issue

"Only if a competitor's one-year qualification has expired can the athlete enter a State or higher level National qualifier competition, even if they have already won the Overall title".

Sooooo glad you brought this up. The wording is horrible here, simply b/c of one word.

"even"

"Even if they (sic) have already won the Overall title" would suggest that winning the Overall is the lesser of possibilities (compared just qualifying by only winning your class or placing second) that would preclude participation in the same show the next year.

This makes no sense to me unless its written without "even," i.e., "if you have already won the Overall title."

I asked a judge about this - long time head judge in AZ who is working nationally now and she said that if you have NQ'ed in a particular NPC region (be it a state or a group of states) that you are not to do another NQ show in that region until your NQ has expired.

This is EXACTLY why I just traveled to CA to do a show outside of the AZ NPC district, as I had won the overall at the AZ show last year. If I don't requalify at the Jr. USA's in a couple weeks (probably won't), then I'd have to bank on re-qualifying at another show next year before doing a nat. level show.

I just don't like the idea of:
-Planning on doing a nat. level show and sending in money, getting hotel reservations, flights, etc.
-Having ALL of the above pending a placement in a NQ show, UNLESS you get in shape MANY weeks out from the national level show (before deadlines are due) and then qualify.
-Having to possibly do a second NQ show if you don't qualify at the 1st one...

So, I think that rule (although it doesn't jive exactly with what I was told a few weeks ago) might be better worded as (if I'm understanding what its supposed to say:

"Until a competitor's one-year qualification has expired after winning the Overall title at a State or higher level National qualifier competition, that competitor may not enter that particular competition again."

-Scott

Last edited:
I asked a judge about this - long time head judge in AZ who is working nationally now and she said that if you have NQ'ed in a particular NPC region (be it a state or a group of states) that you are not to do another NQ show in that region until your NQ has expired.

Now i know for an absolute fact this is not in any way shape or form enforced in the NY/NJ region what so ever for as long as i have been competing (7yrs). I can probably name 20 guys off the top of my head who have done repeat qualifiers in the same MONTH let alone year.........

Heck! National guys do warm up shows in their particular region EVERY YEAR as a way of getting prepared for the National level show! I bet if we went through the MD archives we could pull 50+ names......

The Eastern in NY is NOTORIOUS for this.....

I feel better having had this discussion....

Now i know for an absolute fact this is not in any way shape or form enforced in the NY/NJ region what so ever for as long as i have been competing (7yrs). I can probably name 20 guys off the top of my head who have done repeat qualifiers in the same MONTH let alone year.........

Heck! National guys do warm up shows in their particular region EVERY YEAR as a way of getting prepared for the National level show! I bet if we went through the MD archives we could pull 50+ names......

The Eastern in NY is NOTORIOUS for this.....

I feel better having had this discussion....

Yeah, that interpretation (can't do another NQ in the same REGION, not specifically the same show) isn't enforced really anywhere.

I think the rule is really supposed to be about the SAME show and I've not seen anyone do the same show over again after winning the overall here in AZ.

Another Q is whether you can do the same show if you just got the NQ (1st or 2nd in wt. class for men's BB'ing) year after year, which I've personally done several times and is very common.

Personally, I think if you win the overall at an NQ, that really should mean that, if the NQ is rightfully so, you SHOULD be ready for the nat. level in MOST cases. Getting 2nd doesn't necessarily mean that or even just winning your class. Shit, I won the overall at the AZ last year and am STILL just barely (maybe) at the nat. level - lower end. (I placed a true 16th - they scored out to 18 places but tied 16th and beyond at 16th place - at the Jr. Nat's last year. This is, I guess, middle of the pack at that level...)

-S

Yah I just got clarification from Jim Manion, it means what homon said... i.e. you can't defend your title the following year.

but you can do other national qualifiers even if you are currently qualified

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity