over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anabolic Steroid Research Survey- Help us better care for men on AAS

AnabolicSteroidStudy

Registered
The following post was approved by Big A

Members of our endocrinology team at Wake Forest Baptist Health are currently conducting what will hopefully be the largest ever survey on anabolic steroid use. Dr. Thomas O'Connor is additionally working on this project as a third-party collaborator.

We are doing this in order for the medical community to become more educated on AAS use, and ultimately, so that we may provide better care / resources for men whom have used or are using AAS.

If you are 18 and over and have used steroids in the past 5 years, please consider taking our survey here:

https://is.gd/AnabolicDoc_Survey -it's completely anonymous, only takes 5-10 minutes, and you'll be greatly expanding the research on steroid use in order to help men worldwide.

We also did a video with more explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZwAuKgdUvA

We sincerely thank you for your help.

I took the test.

I took the survey and answered the questions like I would have before my heart attack in 2008, since then I only take TRT from the doctor.

Done.

Bump for more takers on the survey please.

Bump for more takers on the survey please.

Thank you - we’ve received amazing responses and are extremely grateful to all the men sharing their experiences with us.

We still have a long way to go, but hopefully this project is the first step in improving healthcare for the millions whom have used AAS.

The following post was approved by Big A

Members of our endocrinology team at Wake Forest Baptist Health are currently conducting what will hopefully be the largest ever survey on anabolic steroid use. Dr. Thomas O'Connor is additionally working on this project as a third-party collaborator.

Thomas O' Connor states: "The epdidemic of anabolic steroid use continues to increase worldwide"

While I am all for education and studies, presenting this statement as fact is inappropriate and alarmist.

Unfortunately, it speaks to Joe Biden politics, rather than science.

There is a widespread deficit in most physicians knowledge (for a number of reasons, particularly regarding AAS).

They aren't usually bona fide scientists with PHDs for a start, and have limited knowledge of anecdotal evidence.

However, to suggest that most AAS users are ignorant and therefore incapable of managing their own usage speaks to other prevalent issues (intellectual elitism, economic bias, control etc).

Last edited:
Thomas O' Connor states: "The epdidemic of anabolic steroid use continues to increase worldwide"

However, to suggest that most AAS users are ignorant and therefore incapable of managing their own usage speaks to other prevalent issues (intellectual elitism, economic bias, control etc).

I have had a few doctors that treated me like that, and it really does not help the patient at all. The one that really pissed me off was the doc that asked me if I wanted an AIDS test when I told him I was using steroids! I asked him why he would say that and then he said something to the affect that we share needles in the locker room. That was the last visit I ever had with him, I left for another doctor.

I took the test but... Dr. O'connor likes to prescribe statins, BP meds and the whole gambit and IMO uses scare tactics in our community. I predict he uses the results of this study in some way to further scare our community. Just my opinion but to me he exaggerates risk. If he was right most of us guys from the 80s would be dead. I know most of my buddies from back in the day went on to normal lives with wife and kids and are now in their late 50s and early to mid 60s and still around, many still in the gym. Blast 5 grams a week and a tube of GH a day along with diuretics, AIs and all and yah that is high risk but for the majority of guys that do 2 cycles a year with TRT or off between I think is minimal risk.

I also took the survey, but as I noted in the comments at the end, I have an actual medical necessity to be on testosterone. I have been on TRT since I was 30 because I am unable to make testosterone on my own. That said, I've also cycled other compounds so I answered from that viewpoint. Don't know if this skews the results or not.

I, too, have had doctors that had next to non-existent knowledge of steroids/testosterone, and they made bad decisions regarding my care so I found other doctors. I have at least found a couple where I live that have decent knowledge. Other doctors here continue to be judgmental about bodybuilding in general. I have low levels of GH/IGF-1 as well, documented by blood tests, yet the endocrinologist that I saw would not prescribe me GH because "You're too muscular." His actual words. Didn't matter that he had empirical data right there in his face. He chose to diminish my quality of life just because he thought I had too much muscle. (And I'm not even close to many of the big guys on this board.)

One of O'Connor's catchphrases/scare tactics is 'Left Ventricular Hypertrophy' (LVH)...

He omits to mention that there are degrees of LVH (trace, mild, mild-moderate, moderate, severe etc).

The LV afterload is temporarily increased when you deadlift, squat, bench press with a Valsalva maneuver, typically resulting in mild-mild/moderate LVH (which is a normal physiological response).

Fred Hatfield famously had a 75%+ ejection fraction, probably due in part to a degree of concentric LVH (where the LV thickens, and the chamber volume decreases).

Severe LVH from coronary artery disease or aortic valve stenosis etc, are entirely different medical conditions.

While AAS may increase the degree of LVH in both scenarios (perhaps moreso for the latter), his lack of specificity is misleading and alarmist.

Last edited:
Great idea. Filled it in. Hope to see more of this in the future. I am a medical professional and I watch for guys like me and make sure their BP is in order and tell them to ask for blood work and follow up on any irregularities. I wish someone would have caught my BP when I was young and encouraged me to do something about it. This could be a good start to help medical people know to look a little deeper into any jacked guys. No need to confront or accuse just help them deal with side effects to avoid worse problems.

I took the test but... Dr. O'connor likes to prescribe statins, BP meds and the whole gambit and IMO uses scare tactics in our community. I predict he uses the results of this study in some way to further scare our community. Just my opinion but to me he exaggerates risk. If he was right most of us guys from the 80s would be dead. I know most of my buddies from back in the day went on to normal lives with wife and kids and are now in their late 50s and early to mid 60s and still around, many still in the gym. Blast 5 grams a week and a tube of GH a day along with diuretics, AIs and all and yah that is high risk but for the majority of guys that do 2 cycles a year with TRT or off between I think is minimal risk.

He may be using scare tactics but it probably is a good idea to control all of those things. Statins for whatever reason got a bad rap when they were first prescribed to larger proportion of patients but they have been shown to reduce mortality and morbidity in all patient populations they have been prescribed for. 2 cycles a year would be a safer use protocol than most people use but I would not say minimal risk. Do what you can to reduce risk if you choose to use. Control BP any way necessary and if you blast and cruise control cholesterol. I only say this because I do not want anyone to have major issues. Many of us already have.

He may be using scare tactics but it probably is a good idea to control all of those things. Statins for whatever reason got a bad rap when they were first prescribed to larger proportion of patients but they have been shown to reduce mortality and morbidity in all patient populations they have been prescribed for. 2 cycles a year would be a safer use protocol than most people use but I would not say minimal risk. Do what you can to reduce risk if you choose to use. Control BP any way necessary and if you blast and cruise control cholesterol. I only say this because I do not want anyone to have major issues. Many of us already have.

On the flip side, a powerlifting medical doctor with a masters in science said that the entire pharmacological side of the cardiology profession was based on pseudo science (during a private conversation). He said that cardiologists usually have a cookie cutter approach, and thus overly prescribe beta blockers, ace inhibitors, diuretics etc., based more on a fee for service payment model.

That said, a BP monitor is a fantastic/essential diagnostic tool.

Last edited:

I also took the survey, but as I noted in the comments at the end, I have an actual medical necessity to be on testosterone. I have been on TRT since I was 30 because I am unable to make testosterone on my own. That said, I've also cycled other compounds so I answered from that viewpoint. Don't know if this skews the results or not.

I, too, have had doctors that had next to non-existent knowledge of steroids/testosterone, and they made bad decisions regarding my care so I found other doctors. I have at least found a couple where I live that have decent knowledge. Other doctors here continue to be judgmental about bodybuilding in general. I have low levels of GH/IGF-1 as well, documented by blood tests, yet the endocrinologist that I saw would not prescribe me GH because "You're too muscular." His actual words. Didn't matter that he had empirical data right there in his face. He chose to diminish my quality of life just because he thought I had too much muscle. (And I'm not even close to many of the big guys on this board.)

One of O'Connor's catchphrases/scare tactics is 'Left Ventricular Hypertrophy' (LVH)...

He omits to mention that there are degrees of LVH (trace, mild, mild-moderate, moderate, severe etc).

The LV afterload is temporarily increased when you deadlift, squat, bench press with a Valsalva maneuver, typically resulting in mild-mild/moderate LVH (which is a normal physiological response).

Fred Hatfield famously had a 75%+ ejection fraction, probably due in part to a degree of concentric LVH (where the LV thickens, and the chamber volume decreases).

Severe LVH from coronary artery disease or aortic valve stenosis etc, are entirely different medical conditions.

While AAS may increase the degree of LVH in both scenarios (perhaps moreso for the latter), his lack of specificity is misleading and alarmist.

Great idea. Filled it in. Hope to see more of this in the future. I am a medical professional and I watch for guys like me and make sure their BP is in order and tell them to ask for blood work and follow up on any irregularities. I wish someone would have caught my BP when I was young and encouraged me to do something about it. This could be a good start to help medical people know to look a little deeper into any jacked guys. No need to confront or accuse just help them deal with side effects to avoid worse problems.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and perspectives on this important issue. It is great to get the discussion going (from all perspectives) in order to improve care and bring attention to the medical community.

While I raise a few criticisms, O'Connor's anabolic doc videos on primobolan, equipoise etc. are interesting and informative for the most part.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws