over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anabolic Stretches

718si

Banned
by Steve Holman, Iron Man Magazine

Q: You’ve mentioned an animal study that produced a 300 percent muscle mass increase after only a month of stretch workouts. That is truly incredible. Is there more info? How do I duplicate those stretch procedures in my workouts to get that kind of muscle growth?

A: Jonathan Lawson and I refer to that animal study by Antonio and Gonyea in many of our X-Rep e-books, but the most extensive analysis was in X-Rep Update #1. Here’s a quote from Jose Antonio, Ph.D., from that e-book:

“I performed the study using the stretch model. I used a progressive-overload scheme whereby the bird was initially loaded with a weight equal to 10 percent of its weight followed by increments of 15 percent, 20 percent, 25 percent and 35 percent of its weight. Using this approach produced the greatest gains in muscle mass ever recorded in an animal or human model of tension-induced overload, up to 334 percent increase in muscle mass with up to a 90 percent increase in fiber number.”

The scientists loaded the bird’s wing in the stretch position, so the growth occurred in what would equate to a human’s latissimus dorsi. How can you replicate that in the gym? Answer: With SOS—Stretch-Overload Sets. Here are a few SOS choices:

1) Heavy stretch exercises. First, you should include a stretch-position exercise for each bodypart—like pullovers for lats, stiff-legged deadlifts for hamstrings, overhead extensions for triceps and flyes for pecs.

Simply doing those specific exercises, which put the target muscle in an ultra-elongated state against demanding resistance, will do a number of big things for your muscle growth. For example, the stretch against a heavy weight produces an emergency response from the muscle—an SOS. It must recruit more fibers to avoid being severely damaged. And more fiber activation means more growth stimulation.

Keep your form perfect on those exercises; if you jerk or heave in the stretch position, you can rip connective tissue or even the muscle itself. Stay in complete control for around eight reps and try to increase the weight as often as possible to produce continuous overload—as in the study.

2) Double-X Overload. This is one of the many X-hybrid methods we discuss in Beyond X-Rep Muscle Building. It’s tailor made for stretch-position exercises.

Simply lower the weight to the stretch point, raise only about eight inches, lower again to stretch, then move through the full stroke. That’s one DXO rep. Use the double “hitch” at the bottom stretch of each rep to emphasize and overload the key elongation point.

3) Stretch-Pulses. This is the tactic that most closely replicates the Antonio-Gonyea study, and we discuss it extensively in X-Rep Update #1. Keep in mind that the animal subject in the study was not working out per se. In fact, very little movement was occurring in the bird’s wing. That means you can get massive results holding the weight almost stationary. I like pulsing a few inches up and down for better innervation.

For this technique you want to pick a weight for your stretch-position exercise that allows a 45-second pulse/ hold at full stretch. You’ll need to time the pulse/hold because when you can maintain it for 60 seconds, you up the weight at the next workout. That’s progressive-stretch overload.

Realize that your muscles hardly ever have to cope with being stretched during daily activity—much less stretched against resistance. That’s why stretching is traumatic and can trigger significant hypertrophy. It forces adaptation almost immediately. Research shows that stretch overload even increases anabolic hormones in the target-muscle tissue—like IGF-1 and testosterone—as well as anabolic receptors on the muscle.

Scientists believe that the hormonal surge is the reason that immobilized limbs in plaster casts showed growth when they were set with the muscle in a full-stretch position. That’s right, the muscle grew without weight training or any movement. That shows how powerfully anabolic muscle stretching can be—and if you add resistance, as in the above SOS tactics, your size should rise to new levels almost immediately.

Editor’s note: Steve Holman is the author of many bodybuilding best-sellers and the creator of Positions-of-Flexion muscle training.

Last edited:
Interesting info, thanks!

Interesting subject! Time to do some research!!

I had some very positive results with some football players who experimented with FST-7 type stretching. I would believe that some of this stuff, when mixed together into a big "cocktail" could yield some very cool methods for breaking plateaus.

Great post. The pre-stretch is ridiculously underrated.

Have you got any reference for this statement bro;

the stretch against a heavy weight produces an emergency response from the muscle—an SOS. It must recruit more fibers to avoid being severely damaged. And more fiber activation means more growth stimulation.

Great post. The pre-stretch is ridiculously underrated.

Have you got any reference for this statement bro;

the stretch against a heavy weight produces an emergency response from the muscle—an SOS. It must recruit more fibers to avoid being severely damaged. And more fiber activation means more growth stimulation.

I've seen a few...

Here's one i just dug up:

**broken link removed**

タイトル: Effects of static stretching for 30 seconds and dynamic stretching on leg extension power.
著者: Yamaguchi, Taichi
Ishii, Kojiro
キーワード: warm-up
muscular performance
passive stretching
antagonist contraction
voluntary contraction
high-velocity contraction
Issue Date: Aug-2005
出版者: Alliance Communications Group
誌名: The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research
巻: 19
号: 3
開始ページ: 677
終了ページ: 683
DOI: 10.1519/15044.1
抄録: Yamaguchi, T., and K. Ishii. Effects of static stretching for 30 seconds and dynamic stretching on leg extension power. J. Strength Cond. Res. 19(3):677–683. 2005.—The purposes of this study were to clarify the effects of static stretching for 30 seconds and dynamic stretching on leg extension power. Eleven healthy male students took part in this study. Each subject performed static stretching and dynamic stretching on the 5 muscle groups in the lower limbs and nonstretching on separate days. Leg extension power was measured before and after the static stretching, dynamic stretching, and nonstretching. No significant difference was found between leg extension power after static stretching (1788.5 ± 85.7 W) and that after nonstretching (1784.8 ± 108.4 W). On the other hand, leg extension power after dynamic stretching (2022.3 ± 121.0 W) was significantly (p < 0.01) greater than that after nonstretching. These results suggest that static stretching for 30 seconds neither improves nor reduces muscular performance and that dynamic stretching enhances muscular performance.
Rights: © 2006 National Strength and Conditioning Association.
資料タイプ: article (author version)
URI: Effects of static stretching for 30 seconds and dynamic stretching on leg extension power. : HUSCAP
Appears in Collections: 雑誌発表論文等(Peer-reviewed Journal Articles,etc)

This looks very similar to DC stretches or am I way off?

Thanks man that will get me started. The pre-stretch is the radar letting you know you're on the target...

It must recruit more fibers to avoid being severely damaged. And more fiber activation means more growth stimulation.

And what I have read before, is that when this pain threshold is reached, if it can't recruit enough fiber it just fails. So all of the studies I've seen to date with pre-stretching a muscle, indicates a significant amount of strength loss. I'm curious if this still fits within your understanding?

I am a huge advocate of stretching for muscle size. And I also think people aren't holding them for nearly as long as they should. It should suck and it should suck for 60 seconds minimum.

Oh yes I forgot about the significant difference between static and dynamic stretching, although I have a hard time offering examples of each kind.

Oh yes I forgot about the significant difference between static and dynamic stretching, although I have a hard time offering examples of each kind.

A static stretch would be grabbing a door-jam turning your body to stretch your pec, and holding it for 30-60 seconds. This if done pre-workout has been shown to be negative for muscular power output.

If you played sports, think of the difference between "right over left and touch your toes for 30 seconds" and "high knees for 20 yards" as two different ways to stretch and warm your glutes & hams... First is static, 2nd is dynamic.

Last edited:
Well there is less of a need for either static or dynamic stretching if full range of motion resistance movements are selected.

"As a rule of thumb, you actually want to decrease the difference between dynamic and static flexibility to reduce injuries in sports.

Weight training completed correctly through a full range of motion is inherently an dynamic flexibility movement. And the research actually shows us that full range of motion strength exercises increase static flexibility and also decrease the difference between dynamic and static flexibility. This means that the athlete who can touch their toes in a hamstring stretch will NOW be at less risk of pulling that hamstring due to strength training. Plus they will have greater static flexibility which again means less likelihood of injuries.

The last thing to muse over is that Olympic weightlifters are the second most flexible athletes behind gymnasts in all sports and all they do is lift weights".

**broken link removed**

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner