over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

And another retarded article

Ironman2010

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
It was actually on my local news station a couple of days ago .they were saying how a person that follows a high protein diet is four times more likely to get cancer .

Here is the study: Cell Metabolism - Low Protein Intake Is Associated with a Major Reduction in IGF-1, Cancer, and Overall Mortality in the 65 and Younger but Not Older Population

Just a quick look over it and I see this: The study indicates that for those OVER 65 a low protein diet INCREASE cancer mortality and overall mortality... the opposite in what was reported in the age 50-65 population.

They also only used a single 24 hour dietary recall, rather than a longitudinal anysis... and participants self reported. They used this dietary recall from ONE 24 hours period as the standard for what that person ate every day.

I'm not scientist...and far from an expert at validating the legitimacy of a study, but not taking into consideration the types of foods each person ate to get their protein would make a significant impact. To just say protein is at fault is completely bogus. These people are not reporting where they got their proteins from. Is is fatty burger? Bacon? Fried chicken? I would highly doubt lean sources of protein combined with a diet of heart healthy fats and nutrient rich carb sources in moderation would yield such a result.

Yeah, bodybuilders may do some unhealthy things with their bodies, but one we do know is how to optimize is a diet. With the knowledge we have available from some of the incredible coaches on this board, we have the knowledge to design a diet that both optimizes performance and health...

EDIT: Hey, hopefully this makes people scared of meat, which would drive down demand and thus decrease the cost of meats! One could only hope...

Last edited:
It was actually on my local news station a couple of days ago .they were saying how a person that follows a high protein diet is four times more likely to get cancer .

Well my vet told me to feed my dog who has canine osteosarcoma of the jaw and needed about 1/4 of it removed to feed her a low carb diet as it does not promote tumor cell growth.

Also this study would argue what your station said as well.
Low-carb ketogenic diet starves cancer, says researcher Dr. Dominic D'Agostino - National Celebrity Fitness and Health | Examiner.com

I look at this as one more way of .GOV trying to control the masses. Scare you to eat protein, subsidize HFCS and put it in everything, sue TRT out of existence, prescribe SSRI at a record rate, make weed legal cuz like ya know man its just an herb man and so what man if i just want to smoke an herb eat hot pockets and play PS4 all day man.

They want to populace weak, stoned, non-aggressive, fat, with no guns, and relying on .GOV from cradle to grave.

TIN FOIL MODE OFF

Well my vet told me to feed my dog who has canine osteosarcoma of the jaw and needed about 1/4 of it removed to feed her a low carb diet as it does not promote tumor cell growth.

Low-carb ketogenic diet starves cancer, says researcher Dr. Dominic D'Agostino - National Celebrity Fitness and Health | Examiner.com

I look at this as one more way of .GOV trying to control the masses. Scare you to eat protein, subsidize HFCS and put it in everything, sue TRT out of existence, prescribe SSRI at a record rate, make weed legal cuz like ya know man its just an herb man and so what man if i just want to smoke an herb eat hot pockets and play PS4 all day man.

They want to populace weak, stoned, non-aggressive, fat, with no guns, and relying on .GOV from cradle to grave.

TIN FOIL MODE OFF

WELL PUT!!

TIN FOIL MODE OFF

Unecessary rant on my part... my bad.

Last edited:
I'm a firm believer that cancer generally speaking is more of a hereditary trait so for those susceptible to cancer it the high protein may not help them but that is also not saying its a deciding factor. Obviously the key here is a well balanced diet making sure your getting your fair share of proper nutrients like various antioxidants and omega-3s. I'll never forget meeting an old co-worker who was late 50's maybe early 60s who retired but picked up a part time spot just to keep occupied. He smoked since he was like 12. Nothing extreme maybe half pack to full pack a day but aside from the diminished lung capacity thats proven from the build up of tar and particulate matter from the smoke every physical he ever had was a clean bill of health. No issues with blood pressure, bloof sugar, cholesterol, colon, prostate, anything... obviously there is always an exception to the rule since as we age there just comes a point in life where healthy cell regeneration just isnt there or what it used to be and that potentially opens the door for abnormal cell development.

Like Ive seen people as they approach their 70's and 80's as age takes it toll and one way or another some form of cancer surfaces. Then also on a personal note my aunt in her early/mid 30's was hit with stage 3 breast cancer, basically like getting t-boned by a turd who ran a red linght, but looking further into it, on her dads side of the family everybody was riddled with some form of cancer or another, with the women it was primarily breast cancer and with everybody it all struck early on in life between early 30s and early 40s.. they didnt live near high power transmission lines, or a nuclear power plant or some hazmat dump zone, all which have been linked to being a potential contributing factor for cancer so the most rational possibility would just be their genetic predisposition to cancer and a matter of when not if... but thats just my two cents...

Unecessary rant on my part... my bad.

Truly I have nothing against it rec or otherwise, and do think its silly that a grown tax paying man cant do it in his home. That being said I do know 2 close friends who I feel have become borderline bipolar manic-depressive because they smoked weed 3-5 times a day from 14-35. The constant up and down really affected them or brought out this trait in them. Just MHO.

And my comment was more hyperbole because when ever they interview someone about MJ its always some burn out who looks like he hasn't bathed in a month and can barely form a coherent sentence and his only argument is its all natural man. But it's like any news story, they always pick the most outrageous person to interview.

I'm convinced it's just all the food sources that the government own. Just my opinion. I bet if they did a study with a cow that's free and not standing in one location and getting the right nutrients and growing from walking and all and doing normal things wild life does that study would change.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

This is another study that does not specify who there test subjects are. Are they people on a high protein diet that exercise everyday or are they couch potatoes?

Here is the study: Cell Metabolism - Low Protein Intake Is Associated with a Major Reduction in IGF-1, Cancer, and Overall Mortality in the 65 and Younger but Not Older Population

Just a quick look over it and I see this: The study indicates that for those OVER 65 a low protein diet INCREASE cancer mortality and overall mortality... the opposite in what was reported in the age 50-65 population.

They also only used a single 24 hour dietary recall, rather than a longitudinal anysis... and participants self reported. They used this dietary recall from ONE 24 hours period as the standard for what that person ate every day.

I'm not scientist...and far from an expert at validating the legitimacy of a study, but not taking into consideration the types of foods each person ate to get their protein would make a significant impact. To just say protein is at fault is completely bogus. These people are not reporting where they got their proteins from. Is is fatty burger? Bacon? Fried chicken? I would highly doubt lean sources of protein combined with a diet of heart healthy fats and nutrient rich carb sources in moderation would yield such a result.

Yeah, bodybuilders may do some unhealthy things with their bodies, but one we do know is how to optimize is a diet. With the knowledge we have available from some of the incredible coaches on this board, we have the knowledge to design a diet that both optimizes performance and health...

EDIT: Hey, hopefully this makes people scared of meat, which would drive down demand and thus decrease the cost of meats! One could only hope...

Awesome break-down of some of the limitations.

This is a "properly" conducted study with typical methodology used in current public health research; However, I'm really starting to get fed-up with the current use of methods and analyses that researchers are using and disseminating to the general public (and the academy as well). These general "one-size-fits-all" looks at how a particular substances (in this case protein in one's diet) affect an individual's health are uninformative and really lead to confusion. It is especially harmful when the media picks up this info and writes an article which causes people to question the legitimacy of science given that it is most likely that this finding will change when a better conducted study (with more sophisticated methods, questionnaires, etc.) comes along.

Things such as diet influence people in different ways (as you guys mentioned). There are analysis methods that are able to uncover this complexity, but they are out-of-reach of most researchers. Science needs to do away with this over-simplified view of how things such as diet affect health as it is doing more harm than good.

I totally understand the frustration here - all i can say as don't give up on science. There are people who are currently working hard at trying to illuminate the shortcomings of studies such as this,

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear