over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Another truth about steroids...idea from Phil's thread

bigboy05

Registered
I've been following "the truth about steroids part 2" thread and think there is another dimension we could explore regarding the "addictive" aspect of AAS...that idea is public perception.

Ever since the caveman days the Alpha male, or largest man, was the one to be feared, revered. In today society it's the same notion. If you are the biggest (athletic/muscular) guy in the room most people automatically respect you. Just a fact. How many times have you heard, "I don't wanna mess with you, you'd kill me"? Why? just because my biceps are bigger than yours? People equate size with power and to some it's intimidating. Of course we are addicted to this feeling, who wouldn't be?

Additionally, most of us using gear are, well, narcissistic. To make matters worse, the public perception drives this in even deeper. We feel good about ourselves, we look good, dress well, we are strong and our confidence shows. We have succeeded in the gym and we strive to succeed out in the world. Again, we are addicted to this feeling, to success and again, who wouldn't be?

Lastly, public perception says the Alpha male can get the job done. The hard work we put in in the gym is a telling factor of our character, dedication and work ethic, thus people want us on their team, be it business, sports, friendship, etc. Everyone wants to be friends with the big guy. Again, we are addicted to the feeling of being the "go to guy".

Is the use of AAS addicting? Sure, but it's not the drugs that are addicting, it's the results, the larger than life image and the king of the hill feeling we all get. That's the addicting part.*

*Not to say AAS are not addictng...please keep it in context of the post.

Last edited:
definitely agree with the above, gear is addicting, whether partly physical, partly mental, bottom line is it is addicting and for many it is a life long commitment. There are worse things that could be done, like most rec drugs, etc., but just like with rec drugs, how many start this lifestyle by saying I am only going to do this once.

true, I don't know anyone who tried it once then stopped.

There's a running joke at the restaurant i work at. Dont tell Tom he looks thin or he'll destroy our food costs and eat 14 lbs of chicken. almost everything the OP said is true in reguards to how we eventually percieve ourselvs because of how others react to us.

I make a point of wearing sleeve less shirts to the job site;; Its unbeleivable the respect I get ,over other people;; yea I am addicted to respect ;; It make work so much easier;; And I am a nice guy ;; lol

Lastly, public perception says the Alpha male can get the job done. The hard work we put in in the gym is a telling factor of our character, dedication and work ethic, thus people want us on their team, be it business, sports, friendship, etc. Everyone wants to be friends with the big guy. Again, we are addicted to the feeling of being the "go to guy".

True story.....:D ... well said OP

I Agree but there are the Occasional guy....

That will feel Insecure and Pick a Fight with the Largest guy in the room or make fun of him. I have heard comments like "juice head" Pick on somebody your own size "like a Mac truck" just stupid ass comments.

Very true. There is always that one guy who just can't keep his mouth shut. The only thing you can do is try to out class the guy. No matter the situation your reaction will be judged. That's why I say we are all ambassadors for the sport. Once again, defusing a situation or walking away goes a long way. Again, people will have more respect for a monster who simply turns the other check. I'm not saying tuck tail and run, but you know what I mean. I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself, hence the ongoing battle to be bigger, stronger and faster than I was yesterday.

I disagree with everything you said but thats my opinion. If people are "addicted" to AAS because of the way it makes us look and feel then I'll argue that haircuts and Ed Hardy shirts are "addicting" too. So does that mean that everything that makes us look good or feel good is addicting? Ever hear the expression "if everyone is special then no one is special"?

Also not everyone using AAS cares about what they look like, many use them for speed and strength. Hell I'd rather be 150lbs and be strong as fuck than be 250lbs and be strong as fuck. "Strong as fuck"= the same in both cases.

"If people are "addicted" to AAS because of the way it makes us look and feel then I'll argue that haircuts and Ed Hardy shirts are "addicting" too. So does that mean that everything that makes us look good or feel good is addicting?"

To answer your question...yes. If Ed Hardy shirts and a $40 haircut makes you feel good, then yes that is an addiction. Why? Because that is the basis for addiction...repeatedly gravitating toward something which provides us positive stimulation and feedback along with a sense of well being. If someone feels 10 ft. tall and bulletproof wearing a certain type clothes to the club each night because the girls say he looks good then he will continue to dress the part, thus the addiction to the positive feedback form others.
Back to the AAS. There are exceptions to every rule, HOWEVER, I am willing to bet a majority of the members on this board do care about how they look (size, definition, conditioning,etc.) so when I say there is an addiction to the results I am speaking to the majority.

Thank you for sharing your opinion, makes for a good debate.

Is paint addicting to an artist who puts it on canvas and then feels good about what he created?

I don't know, is it?

I see this thing going sideways quick.

I hate to break it to you guys, but being big isn't really the best indicator of alpha maleness, but you all seem like you are on a track, so I won't beat up the notion that this is entirely incorrect.

I agree muscle size does not determine the worth of a man...there are many other factors involved. However, in trying to keep things in perspective with relation to AAS usage, is there a real or perceived addiction to AAS or are we addicted to the results and encouraged by societies stereotypes?

Define Addiction....

Doing something becuse you like it and it makes you feel good doesn't mean your addicted to it. When you can't stop doing something even though it starts to have negative consequences, that is being addicted. This coming from a recovering alcoholic and addict. Just my .02

I would say by definition an addiction is a negative thing. Rec. drugs, alcohol, tobacco, gambling, etc. all examples of addictions that have negative effects on people. Does that mean we can't be addicted to something that provides us positive feedback? Of course we can, we just don't recognize it as an addiction because we don't want to stop. There in lays the trap. A wise man once told me the biggest trap of all is the one you don't know you are in. I think that is applicable to all of us who use or have been using gear for a long period of time. We don't want to stop because of the positive feedback we receive from others and the results we see in ourselves. Perhaps we are all addicts and don't want to admit it?

See you're still making the assumption that society thinks the bodybuilding look is cool and is giving positive feedback but the reality is 99% of people think it is grotesque. I'm not sure where you are getting this alpha male feeling from cus most people probly think of you more as a freak and not something to look upto.

Sure some guys might think you look like a beast and give you props but how many women come up to you in relation to that? I'd wager next to zero.

AAS are not addictive in the way we should be using the word. It devalues the meaning IMO.

I'm not seeing the alpha male thing either.

The biggest guys (bodybuilders) get gassed quick and get beaten up by people who actually fight regularly.
Women generally aren't attracted to the bodybuilder physique.
Most men these days don't even find it appealing. The 'athletic' look is what most people desire, not the hugely muscular physiques of modern bodybuilders.

We live in a society where huge size and brute strength really do nothing to ensure your survival. Today's alpha male is a successful business man or professional of some kind, that is healthy and level headed. Women go after the man that offers security and longevity.
I know there are still women who go after the 'badboy', but who really wants to get mixed up with hoes like that?

I've been following "the truth about steroids part 2" thread and think there is another dimension we could explore regarding the "addictive" aspect of AAS...that idea is public perception.

Ever since the caveman days the Alpha male, or largest man, was the one to be feared, revered. In today society it's the same notion. If you are the biggest (athletic/muscular) guy in the room most people automatically respect you. Just a fact. How many times have you heard, "I don't wanna mess with you, you'd kill me"? Why? just because my biceps are bigger than yours? People equate size with power and to some it's intimidating. Of course we are addicted to this feeling, who wouldn't be?

Additionally, most of us using gear are, well, narcissistic. To make matters worse, the public perception drives this in even deeper. We feel good about ourselves, we look good, dress well, we are strong and our confidence shows. We have succeeded in the gym and we strive to succeed out in the world. Again, we are addicted to this feeling, to success and again, who wouldn't be?

Is the use of AAS addicting? Sure, but it's not the drugs that are addicting, it's the results, the larger than life image and the king of the hill feeling we all get. That's the addicting part.*

*Not to say AAS are not addictng...please keep it in context of the post.

You nailed it right on the head!!!
Could have not said it better myself.

I that "being the biggest" gets You attention...I have a friend, 6'1- 270-280 with abs & every club I have ever been to with him people trip over each other trying to shake his hand or get him to take a pic with them as if they were hanging out with him(as if it earns them"coolpoints")lol

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear