over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Another Washington Post Article: Dying to Compete

airman

Registered
Washington Post has another article out about the "dark side of bodybuilding" This time focusing on the dangers and deaths in bodybuilding. Mentiones a few well known coaches. Some of the deaths are a bit of a stretch, like Luke Sandoe which is well know that he comitted suicide they imply that the death was due to an enlarged heart with acute left ventricular failure and left ventricular hypertrophy (no mention of suicide or actual cause, only saying he died and the patholigist concluded the heart . Just mentioning that the heart condition was likely from bodybuilding.

Also write about Bostin Lloyd which I think is a stretch to use as a represenation of bodybuilding.

Long article, but the do print a couple emails with protocols from coaches, and they mention that Luke was making $144,000 per year from Redcon (a lot of people always wonder what the higher level athletes make so found this interesting).

To be honest I found most the article very weak as far as concrete facts. You can have a read hear (full article no, subscription to WP required):

Washington Post has another article out about the "dark side of bodybuilding" This time focusing on the dangers and deaths in bodybuilding. Mentiones a few well known coaches. Some of the deaths are a bit of a stretch, like Luke Sandoe which is well know that he comitted suicide they imply that the death was due to an enlarged heart with acute left ventricular failure and left ventricular hypertrophy (no mention of suicide or actual cause, only saying he died and the patholigist concluded the heart . Just mentioning that the heart condition was likely from bodybuilding.

Also write about Bostin Lloyd which I think is a stretch to use as a represenation of bodybuilding.

Long article, but the do print a couple emails with protocols from coaches, and they mention that Luke was making $144,000 per year from Redcon (a lot of people always wonder what the higher level athletes make so found this interesting).

To be honest I found most the article very weak as far as concrete facts. You can have a read hear (full article no, subscription to WP required):

Living in Boca, working out at Redcon and being around the gossip I find this incredibly hard to believe knowing what a cheap fuck Aaron is.

To be honest I found most the article very weak as far as concrete facts.

Well, it is the Washington Post. One of the better examples of a supposed "new media outlet" that doesn't cover stories by investigating and gathering facts to inform a reader but promotes an internal view point by gathering anything they can find that supports it and failing to mention anything else (ie guy died by suicide not any of the coronary issues mentioned) or even check sources. Pathetic and exists on both sides of the aisle. Sorry for the rant.

I read it last night and it was a good piece, and honestly there is little to find fault with in the reporting objectively speaking.
They included lots on correspondence as well as interviews to support the articles, emails, texts between coaches and clients, speaking with Luke's mother and his autopsy details, etc.

I agree that standards need to be changed, but I don't see how it will happen.

EDIT: It would have been nice to see opposing views, but with so few people willing to speak on the record how would that work?

I don't know man, other than a couple of small things, I think it's a pretty solid article.

It's b.s. to not mention Sandoe's death was suicide, but other than that, I don't know how you can say it's "very weak as far as concrete facts". They literally have exact drug protocols, email and text exchanges from coaches/clients, and direct quotes from basically everybody involved (that's still alive). This person definitely did their homework.

Edit: Hawkmoon beat me to it, ahhaaha.

Man... shut the fuck up. Get outta here with that shit. One of the best people in the industry is not a representation of bodybuilding? Stop posting this nonsense.

I'd edit but can't. For what it's worth my little vent/rant above was regarding the sad state of our journalism industry not any specific piece so much.

Just finished reading this article. Surprised at how well-written and detailed it was. I think it hit the nail on the head; other than failing to disclose the true cause of Sandoe's death, it's hard for me to comprehend how anyone could read that article and debate a lot of the information provided. The inclusion of text messages and e-mail exchanges are proof enough, with some being quite specific and detailed. Obviously they have a lot more evidence, but had to paraphrase and post snippets for fluidity purposes.

Several common trends in many of the cases ending in the athlete's passing... and was a bit surprised (not sure if it's because I've been out of the loop for a while or I just haven't paid attention to it) that a certain coach was retained by several of the athletes profiled in the article, as I've used this coach before in the past several times and had a good experience, albeit it was not for contest prep.

One of most disturbing parts for me was how a certain coach upon learning that the client was gravely ill and needed to stop everything, including any exercise, sought to continue with the client.
If it was me, I would have wished them well, a speedy recovery, and offered anything I could to help gratis, not try to extend the contract in a modified form.

The bottom line that struck me in the article is how often serious situations are dismissed - by both client and coach - with reckless abandon.

One of most disturbing parts for me was how a certain coach upon learning that the client was gravely ill and needed to stop everything, including any exercise, sought to continue with the client.
If it was me, I would have wished them well, a speedy recovery, and offered anything I could to help gratis, not try to extend the contract in a modified form.

The bottom line that struck me in the article is how often serious situations are dismissed - by both client and coach - with reckless abandon.

This was definitely quite disturbing for me too. It's actually pretty sickening.

Had no clue this particular coach had this in him. This paints a whole different picture.

True colors come out when the financial flow halts, I guess. Hard to trust anyone, these days. My best experience was being coached by Alex Azarian. The dialogue was always so casual and friendly, and we was brutally honest and never pushed the envelope. Good man, gone too soon.

Man... shut the fuck up. Get outta here with that shit. One of the best people in the industry is not a representation of bodybuilding? Stop posting this nonsense.

RIP BOSTON. He was an amazing person who lived his life by his own rules. He was the kindest person in the industry.

I'm a big fan of the sport, so I hate this side of it all..From an athlete point of view, you really need someone in your inner circle to look out for your best interest and value your life long term: mom, wife, father ,girlfriend, older mentor, or a good friend at the gym. So when they see irregular behavior from you and tell you to pull back, you know they are seeing a glaring issue and it's your best interest to listen... Many coaches nowadays aren't educated as they portray and are extreme. Coaches know extreme before and afters, plus big title wins equal lucrative financial gains.. We are seeing tons of guys pass early starting from around the Dorian era and that same time frame of wrestling, guys now are competing 20-30 pounds bigger and way more conditioned.. The bar to win across all divisions is extreme and demanding on the body, which is a cool thing to watch but I know it is taking a toll on athletes. Social media does help either, with guys now feeling they need to always look a certain way year round.

I read it last night and it was a good piece, and honestly there is little to find fault with in the reporting objectively speaking.
They included lots on correspondence as well as interviews to support the articles, emails, texts between coaches and clients, speaking with Luke's mother and his autopsy details, etc.

I agree that standards need to be changed, but I don't see how it will happen.

EDIT: It would have been nice to see opposing views, but with so few people willing to speak on the record how would that work?
I don't know man, other than a couple of small things, I think it's a pretty solid article.

It's b.s. to not mention Sandoe's death was suicide, but other than that, I don't know how you can say it's "very weak as far as concrete facts". They literally have exact drug protocols, email and text exchanges from coaches/clients, and direct quotes from basically everybody involved (that's still alive). This person definitely did their homework.

I think the Sandoe thing rubbed me the wrong way the most. While I do agree there is some very dangrous coaches, and I gave my opinion in the past about a coach having clients die and having dangreous protocols and the craziest thing is that supposedly he is coaching 400 to 500 atheletes (which would mean he can dedicate under 10 minutes to a client per week... ridicoulus) only to have my posts and the threads deleted.

But back to Luke's case. Them writting:
Sally Sandoe, whose 31-year-old son Luke died in the United Kingdom in 2020, said it’s inexplicable that so many bodybuilders are getting sick and dying and no one is confronting the problem.
“It is an absolute free-for-all,” Sandoe said. “There’s just real destruction and devastation and destroyed lives. How is that fair? How can that carry on? It can’t. It has to stop.”
... "
A cardiac pathologist noted in a report that Sandoe had an enlarged heart with acute left ventricular failure and left ventricular hypertrophy.
“The underlying cause of his cardiac enlargement is likely to be his bodybuilding,” the report concluded.

And them not reporting that it was actually suicide, is very poor journalism. I've watched pretty much every podcast with Luke, and he has stated many times he did not have any relationship with his mother. To a point that he said he hasn't even spoken to her in years. And then after his death, his mom tried to blame Redcon, bodybuilding whatever she could without ever acknowleding the suicide. It seemed like she hasn't been in his life for years but all of the sudden she claimed to know exactly what had happened. I know at the end of the day a mother will always be a mother, and I could be 100% wrong here, but it almost seemed to me that she was looking to blame someone so that she could sue not because she truly believed it. But that has nothing do with the article, the article is poor for simply omitting the suicide aspect.

Then there is the Gearhart one where they say: "the coroner’s office concluded that Gearhart died of cardiac arrest with a number of contributing factors, including caloric restriction, a thickened heart muscle, the use of steroids, diuretics and metformin, along with covid-19"
So they just skip over the fact that she had Covid-19 and like thousands of others died from it, but instead focus on the caloric restriction and a thickened heart muscle (which all athletes have not just bodybuilders)

Lastly the Clarise one who basiclly complained that she was suffering "sometimes working out two hours a day and eating under 1,000 calories" and then in June 2021 "she asked Heugly whether it was possible to add more muscle before the show and her coach texted, “Absolutely. All of our girls do. Obviously anabolics help a lot.” He later detailed dosages for the steroid Anavar, along with clenbuterol. She said she began feeling even worse and cut ties with her coach in late July." So I'm not sure about her dying to compete. She couldn't handle doing a workout and an hour of cardio. Didn't want to drugs and she smartly decided to stop trying to compete.

Calm your vagina Bob. I loved Bostin, loved him calling people out, stirring up contreversy and have watched pretty much every podcast he was on. However the article is titled "Dying to Compete". Bostin competed what like twice in the last 6 or 7 years? He didn't have a coach, he wasn't doing anything for competition. He said many times himself, that he is just addicted to steroids/peptides and can't stop and loves experimenting on himself. He was knows as the "crazy guy" who would try crazy doses just to see what happens. He certainly is not a typical bodybuilding competitor and so no he doesn't represent the bodybuilding industry. Even when he was diagnosed with kidney failure, he refused treatment such as dialysis and while he tried a few times to stop, he continued to run grear and other peptides.

So while he was a good guy, seemed very kind, when writting about bodybuilders dying in pursuit of winning the show, he doesn't exactly fall into that category.

Regarding the protocols, other then that I'm not an expert on diuretic protocols the actual protocol given by Kalick to Daniel Alexander to me was surprisingly moderate.
Per week:
Inj Winny 400mg
Primo 400mg
Mast E 400mg
Tren Ace 350mg
Mast Prop 350mg
Oral Win 700mg
=2600mg

Almost 3g is not low, but for an IFBB pro it doesn't seem that crazy. Well until I added it up, it seemed lower to me probably due to lower doses of each compound, but they all do add up.

So maybe rather than thinking that I've seen much crazier protocols (even on here by guys that have never even stepped on stage), I should start thinking about what I'm doing.

As far as the Clen, they only showed the text message saying he is getting cramps, there was no text message between him and Kalick saying anything about heart palpitations; but Kalic did text him asking about his heart rate the morning he was found dead so one can assume there was previous communication about that (surprised though they wouldn't include that in the article)

All I know is that if I was coaching someone taking Clen, the moment they mentioned anything strange about hearrate, I would immedietly tell them to drop the Clen. No talking about supplements or lets see how it goes, simply drop it, it's not worth it.

It's amazing how much was left out and edited in this article, to portray a particular narrative.
The doses are way off - "50mg winstrol for 6 weeks" was actually 10mg for 6 weeks
She has stated that T3 was 150mcg daily, when it never went over 75mcg daily (still a higher dose, but certainly not 150)
She also overstated the diuretic use, and understated the fluid intake on show day.
She also spent a lot of her life grossly obese (330 pounds) - but apparently it was bodybuilding that caused all her health issues?

These are just a couple examples, coming from a client that told me
" I am a psycho and will ask for the work to be harder.. alot of times I've had coaches tell me to dial it back a bit. I just want to be undeniable and im a realist and I've never reached that level of lean and I know im capable work ethic wise.. i just need a coach as crazy as I am to get me there. "

Here is the actual health related email (not cropped to portray a narrative):
"So I missed my check in last week because I ended up hospitalized. Was in the ER the majority of the week. Went in thinking it was my kidneys acting up again but I was short of breath and full of edema. When they got me in they figured out my kidneys and the initial rhabdo were caused because of my heart being under such strain and dehydration after the show. So now my kidneys are showing improvement but my heart and lung function isn't anywhere close to normal. I was transparent with the doctors about the PEDs I have used in the past and what I used leading into the show and the doctor told me the diuretics are what put the strain on my heart without question.. that apparently my heart never recovered from them.. I had no idea my heart was even something to worry about.. so I know I have paid for coaching and I obviously expect zero refunds and hate to have to stop coaching because I loved everything we created but according to my cardiologist and pulmonary dr I will never compete again with this now very prevalent heart condition.. So I just wanted to say thank you for everything you have done for me... and maybe one day after a potential open heart surgery to get my heart valves pumping properly again I could come back for more lifestyle type things... because my pro career is done before I ever got to start it.
I love you shelbs but I guess im just one of those people who couldn't handle all the diuretics.. I nor you knew.. I just know now I have medical bills that will trump any coaching payment I could ever pay.
I hope there are zero hard feelings... although I am heart broken because all I ever wanted was to be a top level pro... I have no choice now but to stay in doctor care until we get my heart back to whatever normal my new normal has to be. "

It's amazing how much was left out and edited in this article, to portray a particular narrative.
The doses are way off - "50mg winstrol for 6 weeks" was actually 10mg for 6 weeks
She has stated that T3 was 150mcg daily, when it never went over 75mcg daily (still a higher dose, but certainly not 150)
She also overstated the diuretic use, and understated the fluid intake on show day.
She also spent a lot of her life grossly obese (330 pounds) - but apparently it was bodybuilding that caused all her health issues?

These are just a couple examples, coming from a client that told me
" I am a psycho and will ask for the work to be harder.. alot of times I've had coaches tell me to dial it back a bit. I just want to be undeniable and im a realist and I've never reached that level of lean and I know im capable work ethic wise.. i just need a coach as crazy as I am to get me there. "

Here is the actual health related email (not cropped to portray a narrative):
"So I missed my check in last week because I ended up hospitalized. Was in the ER the majority of the week. Went in thinking it was my kidneys acting up again but I was short of breath and full of edema. When they got me in they figured out my kidneys and the initial rhabdo were caused because of my heart being under such strain and dehydration after the show. So now my kidneys are showing improvement but my heart and lung function isn't anywhere close to normal. I was transparent with the doctors about the PEDs I have used in the past and what I used leading into the show and the doctor told me the diuretics are what put the strain on my heart without question.. that apparently my heart never recovered from them.. I had no idea my heart was even something to worry about.. so I know I have paid for coaching and I obviously expect zero refunds and hate to have to stop coaching because I loved everything we created but according to my cardiologist and pulmonary dr I will never compete again with this now very prevalent heart condition.. So I just wanted to say thank you for everything you have done for me... and maybe one day after a potential open heart surgery to get my heart valves pumping properly again I could come back for more lifestyle type things... because my pro career is done before I ever got to start it.
I love you shelbs but I guess im just one of those people who couldn't handle all the diuretics.. I nor you knew.. I just know now I have medical bills that will trump any coaching payment I could ever pay.
I hope there are zero hard feelings... although I am heart broken because all I ever wanted was to be a top level pro... I have no choice now but to stay in doctor care until we get my heart back to whatever normal my new normal has to be. "
This is what sucks about all this - you have these people with extremist personalities who come to you asking to be pushed but when things don’t turn out well they are quick to point the finger and take no public ownership of their own responsibility. I have zero respect for this woman or Flesher.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws