over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Antacids slowing protein digestion??

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I was just suffering with serious heart birn earlier today and ate a couple tums , this got me to thinking that since protein is broken down in the stomach by acids woulden't taking an antacid slow down or stop the process of breaking down and digesting protein??

I guess I wondering if you might be screwing yourself out of some protein if you took antacids a couple times a day

or could you take an antacid say late at night before your protein shape or meal to help slow down the digestion process.

what are your thoughs on this

I don't think it would affect your protein uptake in a measurable way. If it's only occasional heartburn, I wouldn't sweat it anyway. If you have regular heartburn, you would be better off with Prilosec or something.

Are you running orals right now? I get regular heartburn with big dbol doses,,,,indicating liver stress...

Not running anything rightnow , but yea D-bol and winny both tear me up on an empty stomach , the spicy mustard got me !!

I had an ulcer years ago and was on med for it for a long time , now I'm good with a tums a couple times a week cause of a meal

I was just suffering with serious heart birn earlier today and ate a couple tums , this got me to thinking that since protein is broken down in the stomach by acids woulden't taking an antacid slow down or stop the process of breaking down and digesting protein??

I guess I wondering if you might be screwing yourself out of some protein if you took antacids a couple times a day

or could you take an antacid say late at night before your protein shape or meal to help slow down the digestion process.

what are your thoughs on this

It will hamper protein digestion to some extent because the (acidity of) gastric hydrocholric acid serves to denature proteins and to convert pepsinogen into its active form pepsin, but whether the interference is significant is another matter. I suppose it depends on how much antacids you consume. If you are interfering with protein digestion to an appreciable extent then you will likely experience this as a "heavy stomach" for many hours after a protein meal. If you don't get this then likely you aren't impacting it much. The other important role of stomach acid is to kill bacteria and fungi that you eat. So excessive use of antacids can make you vulnerable to stomach/intestinal infections.

If you are concerned with protein digestion then you can take supplemental protein digesting enzymes (that don't depend on stomach acid) eg. papain, bromelain etc. Thorough chewing or cooking with minced beef, chicken turkey will also help minimise this problem.

I would not advise taking an antacid before your late night protein shake with the intent of slowing digestion. If you want slow protein digestion eat cottage cheese or add casein to your shake. If you want to slow down gastric emptying add some good fat to your shake eg. tablespoon of olive oil, almond oil, flaxseed oil etc. Fats have the effect of slowing down gastric emptying time.

I have to take Prilosec every morning, but I take digestive enzymes with some meals.
Try that.

I take digestive enzimes a couple times a week and eat yogurt a couple time a week also. The only time I have trouble with indigestion is after a spicey meal or any form of tomatos so its not a big deal at all.

I was just wondering because I know people that eat a couple Tums or rolaids every couple hrs rather that go to a Dr and see whats up.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws