over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Any body shave with a straight razor?

thereaper

Board Supporter
Board Supporter
Hey Guys just looking for some opinions i recently just started going to a legitimate old school barber shop and have fell in love with straight razor shaves so i have decided to venture out and start doing it myself so my question any of the bros here shave this way, i have a razor on its way what i need to know is what shave soaps or creams anybody would recomend

My barber uses one too. Bet ur barber would tell u what products to use. Or try google.

not a bad idea ive been doing some googling and stuff just wanted some opinions if anyone here has any experience, im telling you i cannot go back to using a shity disposable the shave is no were near as nice

Look up " The Perfect Shave", just bought a kit about month ago and love it. At first I hesitated to spend that kind of money but I finally pulled the trigger. I didn't buy the straight razor but did get a kit which has what most barbers use.

use a merkur 34c safety razor and love it! would not go back to the 3 or 4 blade current razors. not to mention the blades only cost .20-30 cents a piece. nothing compared to the mach 3, ect blades.

you should be able to find all the info you need here: Badger & Blade

a great forum dedicated to shaving, in all forms.

as one of the posters mentioned, the perfect shave has good stuff, some of it over priced but good products.

Last edited:
Awesome thanks for the info guys il look into that forum and see what I can dig up

I use philosophy shaving gel and shaving cream. I like the whole philosophy line of facial care products.

I have used one in the past, because of the same reason you are looking to try one.

Things to remember: alot yourself a few minutes more than you normally would using your "regular" razor and take your time, rush and you will end up nicking yourself and getting major frustration; make sure you use a "sharp" razor every time (safety razor then change the blade often, traditional staright buy and learn how to use a "strop"); enjoy the shave, using a straight razor effectively is something most will never try or master.

I ordered my razor and strop already so im covered on that front and am looking so forward to the shave I think im going to give the co Bigelow brand shave cream a try they sell at bath and body works its made by the italian company psoraso

I ordered my razor and strop already so im covered on that front and am looking so forward to the shave I think im going to give the co Bigelow brand shave cream a try they sell at bath and body works its made by the italian company psoraso

what did you get if you don't mind me asking? I am very intrigued and willing to try this out on a budget first!

I use a Merkur safety razor as well. Will never go back to a bic or clippers again. Use "feather" double edge razors as they are the best. I also use either Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream (I like this one best because i get really slick shaves from it) or TrueFitt and Hill shaving cream. I use a straight razor on my mustache but I want to get a Dovo straight razor, strop, and a 4k/8k sharpening stone. BTW If you get a badger brush, I HIGHLY recommend you break it in thouroughly BEFORE you use it. I washed the hell out of mine many times with shampoo and it still smelled like all hell and would leave the animal scent in your skin and you would smell it for hours even if you put on after shave. You could use a synthetic but Badgers are the best.

Last edited:
oh yea, the only way to shave. I shave my head with one. Lots smoother and closer than your average gillette disposable. Watch the grain though...

Oh man, I remember the first time I saw my buddy after he used a straight razor, hahaha. I thought he got jumped his face was all cut up.
It definetly takes some practice, but u will not get a smoother shave. Dont go over board getting too fancy with shaving creams and stuff (i use basic aveno).

Also for those who want to give it a try for very lil money. Go to a beauty supply store. They have them as hair trimmers. Just take off the guard and you r good to go. Its like 8 bucks I think.

Seriously b careful u can f*** urself up pretty good with these things, and not even shaving. I wasnt paying attention and closed the blade on my finger god damn I thought I was never gona stop bleeding.

Good luck with whatever u choose

jt i ordered my razor and strop from whippeddog.com this guy sells a razor and strop for like 50 bucks there old quality quality vintage and used razors which he hones back to new, awesome deal mine should be coming in the mail today so we shall see how this goes

i dont do it but my barber does my fade and face with one...only way too go imo...up in vancouver there is a place called male essentials grooming salon, they use to cut me up...they sell alot of exspensive shit, but supposedley some of the best out... they have a website if u google the store name...probably the best shave and best my skins felt after ive ever had.... owners are good peeps too... **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Just started 2 months ago

I shave with a Dovo full hollow 5/8" straight razor. I takes a little getting used to, but I love it. For shave cream I use Kiehls brushless shave cream formula #31X. However when this runs out I think I'll get a brush and the appropriate cream. I have a stop now and that works OK but I think I'll need to get a stone in the near future.

Hey Guys just looking for some opinions i recently just started going to a legitimate old school barber shop and have fell in love with straight razor shaves so i have decided to venture out and start doing it myself so my question any of the bros here shave this way, i have a razor on its way what i need to know is what shave soaps or creams anybody would recomend

I'm going to pick one up myself,,,been wanting one for awhile now.

so had my first go with the shave today and must say i did get a few nicks but overall wasnt that bad and its so much of a better shave barely any irritation whatsoever im never going back to those shitty disposables

I shave with both a straight and a double-edge. There's very little learning curve for a DE and I can damn near guarantee that you won't want to shave with anything else once you get used to it. OTOH, shaving with a straight takes both practice and patience; it's not for everyone.

Badger & Blade is a great resource, by the way, been a member there since 2007. If you're in any way interested in shaving with a straight razor, absolutely read the tutorials and do your research first; don't just buy some shit razor off eBay and think it's going to give you a great shave. There's a great deal more involved, but that's one reason I enjoy it so. The restoration (if necessary), honing, stropping and subsequent shave are almost Zen-like once you truly get the feel for it.

Let's not even talk about the myriad wonderful shaving soaps, creams, aftershaves, etc. that are part of the game, as well. You'll never go back to your shitty foam in a can ever again once you've tried them.

^^^ not ashamed of sounding like a complete fucking weirdo.

Last edited:
Not exactly on topic, but I'll post this here anyway...

This might sound weird, but I stopped shaving with shaving creme a few months ago. I find that this actually makes it easier to shave in the long run - it just takes a little time to get used to. Your skin actually gets healthier when you avoid putting all those chemicals on your face. Instead, I just take a ~20min hot shower, which gets those little whiskers nice and soft and ready to shave. Then when I get out I take the razor out almost immediately and shave it off. I swear it works better than the conventional method.

If you google it you should be able to find others who have done the same as I have.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity