advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Any boxers or MMA competitive fighters? curious.....ever been HIT?!

Actually (and I am primarily a grappler) size is more important in regards to stand up. A month ago, I sparred with a 170 pounder who made the finals in the Golden Gloves. He hits hard for his size, but simply does not hit hard enough to hurt or put me down. I am 232 lbs

I do not agree with the above statement at all and Kaladryn's post below is exactly why...Just because you fought a smaller guy that, didn't know how to throw a punch, shift his weight or hit a direct target has no baring on size being an important factor in a true fight!

I fought plenty of 230lb (solid) guys when I was 165lbs lean...Only lost 1 of those fights because I got careless and let him get me on my back (the dude cracked my eye socket, closed my eye up for 2wks and knocked out 1 of my teeth - and it was my fault for playing around), the rest I put on their asses fairly easily with speed and accurate strikes!

If someone who knows how to throw a punch even LIGHTLY connects with you anywhere near his target, you are completely fucked and 95% chance the fight is over. At best you will be nearly blind (nose), at worst you will be knocked out (jaw, temple) or incapacitated (neck).

If they don't know how to throw a proper punch, you will hardly notice it.

:yeahthat:Excatly!

o certified instructors, but also train Krav.

I agree with you to some extent, but it depends on the fight scenario. I have a pretty decent grappling background. Won NAGA twice. Done the Abu Dhabi. Have a good amount of BJJ trading and have also been kickboxing for years. I'm pretty confident in my stand up. If a guy is a significantly better boxer than me, I'm not gonna stand there and throw blows. I'm 255 pounds and I tire quickly while swinging for the fences. When it comes to straight grappling, agreed size isn't the be all end all. But if I have a sixty pound advantage and I'm allowed to strike from the top, I'll pound the guy into the dirt.

Hit a BJJ black belt once in the face, he becomes a brown. Again he becomes a purple....

If you went to Abu Dhabi you must be an excellent grappler. How are your takedowns?

I competed in NAGA many years ago, won a few and placed 2nd in one. I ended up ranked 5th in my class.

And yes, the bigger you are the more your cardio struggles. That is why I pretty much do not take time between sets 75% of the time when I lift, similar to Cross Fit. I am older, so cardio is a very difficult attribute for me.

Wrestling is 25-30% of fighting, assuming there are no weapons involved.

HH....how is your wrestling?

I am currently absolutely obsessed with combat applications of grappling, and yes this training assumes it is a life and death struggle that usually involves a weapon.

I am training JKD/FMA's with professor S. He is one of the very few people certified by Dan Inosanto.

Unfortunately, he only teaches JKD/FMA's twice a week. We do some Dumog (grappling for real life and death situations that involve weapons) and Silat.

I live in a major metropolitan area but cannot find anyone reasonably close that teaches FMA's or Dumog. Actually, there re couple of places but they teach at the same time as my current instructor.

FMA's have always been closely guarded secrets, taught only father to son/daughter. There are historical reasons, to complicated to explicate here.

My interest right now, is in combining Dumog with western wrestling.

Right now, I have been working off the Hubad energy drill. This drill assumes you are defending against a knife. The arm holding the knife is trapped, and your first attack is the eye gouge. You then go two on one on the weapon/arm using the Dumog unbalancing-takedown technique, or the limb destruction if you do not get the takedown.

You never ever let go of the weapon arm. If you still have not neutralize your assailant, you then switch you a rear suplex. You get the body lock, and trp both arms. That keeps you safe from the blade, and makes it impossible for your assailant to defend the suplex, and landing on his head.

Here is a vid of some Dumog/empty hand techniques. Remember, the assumption is that your opponent has a blade or other weapon.

Sorry for the OT, but I love this stuff. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoKEHiCUKEE"]Kali Empty Hand Techniques Based on the Blade - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
As a former Pro MMA fighter out of Cali with 10 pro fights and as many amateur fights I can tell you I have been rocked more times than not. Sometimes it's just lights out and you can't do anything about it other times your "out on your feet". This is where your many years and hours of training comes into play.
I would try and close the distance and wrap him up till I recovered. But with 4 wins out of 10 fights I may not be the guy to listen to. Lol

Another thing I found was the more times I got rocked or KOed the weaker my chin became. In other words, I word go out easier. Maybe it was age or a combo IDK.

Last edited:
when i get hit i see like a white light for a split second... almost like a camera flash goes off.

My sophomore yr in college, I picked up a receiver so the corner on my side could jump a slot on our side and just as the deep pass was coming in, my helmet collided with the receiver's and it was just like you described.

Everyone is tough until you grab their scalp and start smashing their head on the ground. Zero technique just walk through a punch or two maybe. Never lost a fight in my life.

I do not agree with the above statement at all and Kaladryn's post below is exactly why...Just because you fought a smaller guy that, didn't know how to throw a punch, shift his weight or hit a direct target has no baring on size being an important factor in a true fight!

I fought plenty of 230lb (solid) guys when I was 165lbs lean...Only lost 1 of those fights because I got careless and let him get me on my back (the dude cracked my eye socket, closed my eye up for 2wks and knocked out 1 of my teeth - and it was my fault for playing around), the rest I put on their asses fairly easily with speed and accurate strikes!

:yeahthat:Excatly!

I don't think you understood my point. Yes, proper hip rotation and footwork is the key to power. I spared a guy 6 4 with huge arms and he did not hit hard because he was an arm puncher.

My main boxing was in New York with guys from the DaMatto camp. For those that don't know, Mike Tyson was trained by DaMatto. I spared with one of Mike's old sparring partners. He beat me pretty soundly, but I stayed off the Matt. My first coach was Peter Allindo.

He was in camp at he same time as Mike, and in fact used to steal Mikes cookies. He walked around at 165 lbs and hit very, very hard, I assure you.

But the fact is, assuming both have proper technique, the big man will hit harder than the smaller man. I have been dropped once, and the guy was 250 lbs and a pro. I had the whole side of my face smashed in from a knee and still did not go down. I had my nose broken 3 months ago from a head butt. It was a little guy, too. That one disoriented me pretty severely and I bled...a lot, lol.

Don't get me wrong....I am not a great boxer. I have studied every martial art imaginable, and on a scale of 1 to 10, I am about a seven. Plus I am old. However, if a guy does not know how to punch, he will never hit me in the first place.

The 170 lb kid who hit hard made it to the finals in the recent GGloves. He also is a very well known Martial artist (BB in BJJ) and he fought in a higher weight class. His technique is exceptional. His father, my coach, did win the GGloves.

A chin is really a matter of physics. A concussion happens (when you get dropped, you were concussed) when the brain travels through the Cerebrospinal fluid and hits the side of your skull. If your head is large, you have thick neck muscles and traps, it greatly reduces the whiplash like circumstances necessary to cause a concussion.

I have an absolutely huge and ugly head. It frightens children and my mom never tired of telling me that my head is why I have no siblings.

One of the side effects of my hideousness is a granite chin. I will trade for a glass chin and a pretty face anytime:)

As a former Pro MMA fighter out of Cali with 10 pro fights and as many amateur fights I can tell you I have been rocked more times than not. Sometimes it's just lights out and you can't do anything about it other times your "out on your feet". This is where your many years and hours of training comes into play.
I would try and close the distance and wrap him up till I recovered. But with 4 wins out of 10 fights I may not be the guy to listen to. Lol

Another thing I found was the more times I got rocked or KOed the weaker my chin became. In other words, I word go out easier. Maybe it was age or a combo IDK.

That is true...we are finding out now that concussions are much more serious than we thought.

Also....you were a 400 pro, yes? So was my old training partner (partly due to bad management...he fought Monson in his third fight, then fought him again a year later). I will tell you this: A 400 MMA pro is still one bad mother fucker.

Damn, that's one crazy dude to fight Monson, twice!
But you're right, concussion are more serious than we once thought.
I too had bad management. But oh well it was fun while it lasted. Definitely a young man sport.

Everyone is tough until you grab their scalp and start smashing their head on the ground. Zero technique just walk through a punch or two maybe. Never lost a fight in my life.

People instinctively make the mistake of trying to pull away when someone has their hair. Instead, reach up and trap their hand. Step to the side (if they are holding with their right trap with your left hand an step left/to their right, and vice versa).

That will open them up for your straight right. Step in and throw the right...if they stay up, punch them again, and then go for the eye gouge using fingers. Move in to them and clinch the neck. Dip down a bit and come in with the head butt.

Using the clinch (plumb for you MT guys) you have many, many nasty options. You can continue to eye gouge, this time with the thumb, or start throwing knees and or elbows and groin strikes.

These techniques are integral parts of FMA's, Silat, and Progressive Fighting systems (JKD...from Inosanto, Vunack, Soliz).

Sport fighting will give you 75% of a base for self defense. This stuff, filthy fighting, is the last 25%.

I too had bad management. But oh well it was fun while it lasted. Definitely a young man sport.

Not me, hell no, it was my training partner.

I cornered him his first few fights, and man being up there on that stage is freaking scary. When I was a drunk loser fighting in the bars, I never got scared.

But shi& up there on the stage, with the intense lighting and a thousand screaming fans, I would probably poop my pants.

Yeah, Jay ended up having Matt Lindlen coach him.

Matt did not believe in scouting, analyzing you oponent, developing a game plan. He said that was for pussies, lol.

Just go out and fight. Jay then went over to Randy Coutures.

I have some very juicy gossip that probably should only be for PM.

While Randy was out cheating on Kim......

Last edited:
Ohhhh lol. I agree with you. It is nerve racking once that cage locks

People who fight either pro or semi pro aren't really afraid of anyone, that's what makes them so dangerous. Yea u might be afraid of the lights or crowd but once you get hit the only thing that goes through ur mind is how u gonna hurt the mofo in front of you

Last edited:

Snowman is a pretty bad dude

I always find it funny when we talk fighting that there is always one guy that gives absolute percentages and breakdowns of "what they would do if guy did this".... 38.67% of fighting is wrestling, but only if opponent is a blue belt in ninjitsu lol..

Sounds just like dr Bob

Last edited:
I always find it funny when we talk fighting that there is always one guy that gives absolute percentages and breakdowns of "what they would do if guy did this".... 38.67% of fighting is wrestling, but only if opponent is a blue belt in ninjitsu lol..

Sounds just like dr Bob

Idk what kind of tough guy you think you are.. I always assess the situation .. Scientifically calculate my opponents strengths and weaknesses like I do in World of Warcraft.. Then I systematically break him or her down with the teachings of my grandmaster sensei Steven Seagal.

To any and all the strikers out there. I understand nobody really wants getting hit. But once you get to a certain level of experience. Do you actually enjoy the contact?

To any and all the strikers out there. I understand nobody really wants getting hit. But once you get to a certain level of experience. Do you actually enjoy the contact?

People might say they enjoy it.. But no one likes head injuries or becoming "punchy". Naturally you become accustomed to the blows, but I never "enjoyed" getting hit.. Usually when I didn't get hit is when I won lol

Size has nothing to do with toughness or heart boxed my whole life been in gyms and around them a lot . It easer to impose your will on someone if your big , but training and size will only take u so far you have to like that shit me and my brothers would fight, box we were doing ama in our yard early 90,s. What u do when u get Hit that's when u no your in a fight A lot of people can roll till they get banged hard and all the fight leaves them self preservation kicks in , But when u love to fight realy like to mix it up I'm not talking about being a bullly but gladiator shit who will take on all comers when u meet that sort u have your hands full pack a lunch , I'm no killer but can hold my own over 100
AMature boxing matches and 185 or 190 pounds solid pounds will be the toughest all cruiser wieghts are fast and hard hitters as far as ground game if I knock u out before u can kick me or throw me down game over

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity