over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Any dangers of a sloth metabolism?

SemiIntense

Registered
So I've been at this for over 10 years, juiced for some but have been natty for a few years now. One thing that has always stood out to me is that I can get by on WAY fewer calories than what most people seem to talk about.... granted, I'm not as big as most of you guys here (I believe I'm around Dave Goodin's size), but even with guys my size it seems they eat quite a bit more.

I'm 31 and my current stats are as follows:
5'7
175.4 lbs
neck 17
chest 45
arms 17.5
waist 28.5
thighs 26.5
calves 17.5

For a natty I think I'm doing alright and I'm pleased with where I'm at, my chest used to be bigger but I've been going light due to a strain so I realize that's lagging. I'm happy where I'm at though, I'm shooting more for the mens physique at the moment.

Heres the thing..... At this level, which I'd say is about 6% body fat (legit, not caliper) I eat about 1500 calories, and I reverse-diet up to about 187/31 inch waist at about 2600 calories.... I maintain that most of the winter and cut down to the 1500 range during the warmer months.

My libido seems fine, blood work is fine, I'm not catching colds or anything, strength has never stalled not even when I'm at my lowest.... I just worry that that's way too low.... if everything seems normal do I have anything to worry about? Causing any damage etc.?

P.S. I'm quite active too, I train super high volume and hit everything twice a week. I usually go hiking on my day off (just for fun), so i'm not a marathon runner but I'm not exactly sedentary either.

I deal with the same thing. Do you have a small bone structure?

Don't count macros aside from protein, I do eat enough carbs to keep me out of ketosis, the rest is mostly veggies and fat.

And yes I have a tiny bone structure, at 28.5 inch waist I'm still not in competition shape, I could likely drop another inch. By the time my waist gets to about 30.5 that's really off-season for me, my abs are completely gone, zero definition etc. I know the hodgetwins are similar and they also seem to have a really lanky build, not sure if that tiny, wiry bone structure has anything to do with it.

I feel fine, strength is fine, bloodwork is fine like I said.... just worried if this is normal, not that I'm huge or anything but I'm supporting a decent amount of muscle mass on fewer calories than most women eat.

Last edited:
This is normal, buddy.

We all know those guys who eat junk all day long and have been on a 10.000 Kcal diet for decades and are skinny as fuck with abs.

Others get fat on 2.000 Kcal.

I remember Gary Strydom saying he had to wake up 2 or 3 times each night to eat or he'd lose weight.

People are different. It's about understanding what works for you. And good thing is that eating less food extends your life.

Alex is completely correct, also your food bill is low which is good. If i go below 3000 I literally can not function even with 400 carbs. I have to live on white rice mostly for financial respons lol and even cutting need a good 6 or 7 meals a day and 4000 calories so never have that flat stomach look by bed time even when im really lean. My food bill Is silly tbh. 3.5lb of meat per day, 500 plus carbs. I only weigh 225 at the moment too

in times of famine you would have been a survivor...think of it that way!

Oh yeah, definitely not complaining lol, food bill is dramatically lower. Like I said the only other guy I remember like this was some massive guy, like 5'6 and about 205 pretty lean (high singles) and claimed to eat 1,200 calories per day.... his theory was his body just needed tons of micronutrients and protein.... don't know if he was full of shit or not but it was crazy watching that dude eat like nothing but a giant plate of bell peppers, spinach, kale and a protein shake lol.

For the longest time I would eat about 4000-4500 calories per day, since that's what "everyone else does", but I just looked like shit ALL the time, I tried to do the slow "reverse diet" over about two years to see if I could get my metabolism to accept more food but it never worked for me, I'd still end up having to dip below 1800 to look good and despite my small frame, my body puts on fat very easily..... I'm not a slouch either, train super high volume, everything twice a week, go hiking on my off days etc. but it is what it is.

I did that MuscleGenes.com test and your metabolism and workout expenditure sounds similar to mine. I always thought of it as a negative, but it's not, it's very efficient and requires less calories. It says it's more endurance athlete based, but I have put on decent muscle mass.

Gene Type
UCP2
VV

17% of the population

Individuals with this genotype have been demonstrated to have a lower metabolic rate on average combined with approximately 20% levels of spontaneous physical activity; this means that, overall, they still have similar 24-hr energy expenditure to both AA and AV individuals. This enhanced metabolic efficiency in V allele carriers makes the energetic cost of muscle contractions lower, improving their potential endurance capability.
•Found at higher frequencies in elite endurance athletes.
•Linked to a slow, more efficient metabolism.
•Higher level of spontaneous physical activity on average.

Last edited:
28.5 inch waist? That's probably the most impressive Stat you got going for yourself. I have yet to legitimately see someone with a decent amount of muscle on them with a waist under 30 inches. Got any pics in your current condition?

Nah no pics, and I don't really consider myself to have a decent amount of muscle lol... my stats are nearly identical to Dave Goodin, Kane Sumabat and Lazar Angelov.... i believe the first two claim 28-29 waist, none are exactly huge though.

I tried putting on more size for years but honestly my genetics/frame just aren't designed for it. Even on gear I got really strong and depending on what, either got really puffy or tightened up/dried out like crazy... I looked a lot different, but I never really got that big.

I think hip/rib structure has something to do with it too, by the time I'm pushing 31 inches, which is still pretty tiny, that's WAY off-season for me.... my abs are completely gone and I've lost all definition, have a slight double-chin etc.

first world problems lol

A slow metabolism is the only scientifically proven way to extend life, but it sucks for dieting.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear