over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Any diabetics here.?? Any willing to discuss their diet

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I have a friend who was diagnosed as diabetic earlier this year , after trying a couple different meds they settled on him taking 20iu (on average) of 70/30 insulin. When he checks his BG in the morning before injecting its 160-170 , then again in the pm it 170-180.

He’s wanting to get back into bodybuilding but asked if I had any idea how to figure a diet out with his diabetes.

I would think that you would want as low carb as possible to hopefully help lower the BG and ultimately reduce the insulin needed.

For any of you that are diabetic or know anything about it and how to work around or with it I’d sure like hear it

What's his diet like now?

I've gotten 3 of my good friends off insulin with ketogenic diets.

Done the same. It's amazing that most type 2s don't even realize they likely don't even HAVE to take insulin as long as their BG remains in range. Diabetics are never told any of this, nor anything diet related, it's just, "well, looks like you'll be on insulin the rest of your life" They're led to believe that there's nothing they can do about it. That's our pharmaceutical industry for you

Look into Jason Poston (men's physique pro) and Anth Bailes (212 pro). Both are type 1 diabetics and have been successful in bodybuilding. I know Poston has posted stuff about it on Instagram.

Done the same. It's amazing that most type 2s don't even realize they likely don't even HAVE to take insulin as long as their BG remains in range. Diabetics are never told any of this, nor anything diet related, it's just, "well, looks like you'll be on insulin the rest of your life" They're led to believe that there's nothing they can do about it. That's our pharmaceutical industry for you

that's not entirely true. Alot of times it's the patient that doesn't want to change there diet. Alot of doctors will recommend some sort of dietary changes as well

I've been Type 2 for over 20 years. No meds here. Proper nutrition can keep the A1C around 5 if done consistently and correctly. Above poster is correct..most of the time it's the patient that doesn't want it bad enough. They just keep eating shit and adding meds.

that's not entirely true. Alot of times it's the patient that doesn't want to change there diet. Alot of doctors will recommend some sort of dietary changes as well

Oh I know, I just like scapegoating the pharmaceutical industry when I can :D

Someone can be told to their face that the way they're eating is killing them and they'll argue with you I've definitely seen some very irresponsible diabetics out there, in fact, it might be most of them

It often comes about from food addictions, and just as with any other addiction, the addict will rationalize til the end

The US spends $327 BILLION each year on diabetes patients. An illness that is 100% curable with dietary change. All because our society is so soft that we dare not tell fat slobs to change their diet. Instead we tell them to carry on eating like pigs and that we will be happy to pay for all the resulting expenses.

Type1 right here.
Cutting definitely low carb (carbs only post workout)
The less carbs the less the risk of going hypo and having to add unwanted cals to counter it.
Pre/ intra workout is a big no no since I've been diagnosed. To much of a roller coaster to BG levels.

Concerning the Juice.
I haven't tried everything yet.
So far Clen ist not possible anymore BG skyrockets.
Orals (Anadrol, dbol, Winny) bad, haven't tried the injects yet.
Test only: slight rise in Insulin need in the beginning but more or less goes back to baseline after the first week's.
Deca and EQ slighly more insulin need throughout the cycle but pretty easy to handle.
Haven't tried tren yet. Possibly will do so beginning next year.

Bulking I try moderate carbs 250 - 350.
Usually last meal is carb free so I don't have to worry about crashing BG while sleeping.

If BG control gets worse for a time (can change with me from time to time, maybe infection or something else off in my body)
I will pack all the carbs into less meals and have protein/ fat meal in between carb meals to space out Insulin injectionS.
Usually solves the problem pretty fast.
Its easier to find out your new Carb Insulin ratio with less frequent injections.

All in all I'm pretty thankful a got diagnosed after a couple of years bodybuilding.
A strict meal plan in conjunction with ultra rapid insulin (Humalog etc) really is key to BG control.
My hba1c usually is between 5.5 to 5.9 without major hypo issues.

What's his diet like now?

Currently his diet has been like this for the last 15 days
5am: 20iu 70/30 insulin

5:15am (training): 25g carbs from Gatorade, 15gEAA , 5g creatine , 5g Glutamine , 5g L-Leucine , 5g citruline maleate

6:30: 75g whey Isolate shake , 25g carbs (sweet potato starch)

9:00: 7 whole eggs , 25g whey shake

12:00: 9oz chicken thighs , 4oz vegetables with 10ml avocado oil

3:00: 9oz 85% ground beef , 4oz vegetables

6:00: 7oz chicken thighs , 4oz vegetables with 10ml avocado oil

9:00 25g casein protein , 30g ground flax seeds

9:15: 15iu 70/30 insulin.

First day his AM fasted blood glucose was 178 , 9pm was 169 (no food since 6pm)
Yesterday his AM fasted blood glucose was 129 , 9pm was 113 (before shake)
It’s been a steady decline over the two weeks , our hope is that by next week we can transition from the PM insulin dose to 850mg metformin XR and hopefully the AM dose as well.

He’s just started taking 300mg test after being off completely for 11 months , his plan is to compete in June.

When you set up a ketogenic diet what ratios do you use for fats and protein for a muscle building phase for a diabetic ??

Right now we are roughly 350g protein and 175g fat (47% protein , 53% fat) BUT he’s still getting some carbs and in a slight calorie deficit.
I was thinking that adding in more protein to replace the carbs would help but wasn’t sure what negative effects that would have on the blood glucose.

When you set up a ketogenic diet what ratios do you use for fats and protein for a muscle building phase for a diabetic ??

Right now we are roughly 350g protein and 175g fat (47% protein , 53% fat) BUT he’s still getting some carbs and in a slight calorie deficit.
I was thinking that adding in more protein to replace the carbs would help but wasn’t sure what negative effects that would have on the blood glucose.
I start them all at 70/30, as they get leaner i will gravitate them towards 60/40 (fat/protein)

I start them all at 70/30, as they get leaner i will gravitate them towards 60/40 (fat/protein)

What do you like for fats? I hear that the body burns monounsaturated fats easier than saturated. Any truth to that in your experience?

What do you like for fats? I hear that the body burns monounsaturated fats easier than saturated. Any truth to that in your experience?
I like olive oil or macadamia nut oil, whole eggs (farm fresh eggs if possible), avacado, coconut oil (but not alot), grass fed butter, fish oil. Meats such as grass fed beef and wild caught salmon.

I dont really car about mono vs saturated, I just try and get a high omega 3 content in my diet.

I like olive oil or macadamia nut oil, whole eggs (farm fresh eggs if possible), avacado, coconut oil (but not alot), grass fed butter, fish oil. Meats such as grass fed beef and wild caught salmon.

I dont really car about mono vs saturated, I just try and get a high omega 3 content in my diet.
That's one thing I stressed to him was eating natural. The chicken is all free range or vegetarian fed and the beef is free-range.

I have been type 1 diabetic since the age of 12 and am 40yrs old now so for last 28 years! I have done bodybuilding, Football, Boxing, MMA all very successfully along with working physically demanding jobs in the south Louisiana heat! When I see a new dr they never
Believe I'm m diabetic especially with hemoglobin A1C at 4.6! Never had any diabetic or other health problems this whole time! I adjusted my insulin levels myself as needed using Humalog and Novolin N insulin! I find not only amount of insulin, timing of injections, and timing of exercise and intensity all play major roles in diabetics especially ones who are in bodybuilding! Keeping insulin low is possible is what I find best! First I get insulin down by fasting for a day followed by fasted cardio to burn all stored glycogen followed by by low low carb diet high in protein! When morning insulin gets below 4 Humalog 6 Novolin N i check sugar throughout day and keep up fasted morning cardio and evening weight training am insulin post cardio and pm insulin immediately after weight session. I start with 3 meals but as I I keep increasing insulin sensitivity (when get low glucose readings during day without changing anything) I add a meal i usually end up eating 8 times a day using 1-2 units Humalog, 4-5 units Novolin N for AM and 1 unit Humalog 3-4 Novalin N pm post weight training. Hemoglobin A1C 4.6
Sample diet usually add. Small snacks during day depending on glucose readings
wake fasted cardio 30 min
6 whole eggs
Protein bar low carb or tuna
Baked chicken breast with spinach salad
Training with weights
40 to 60 grams whey with pm insulin
45 min later chicken or beef with spinach or broccoli
3 to 6 servings cottage cheese bf bed

I have a friend who was diagnosed as diabetic earlier this year , after trying a couple different meds they settled on him taking 20iu (on average) of 70/30 insulin. When he checks his BG in the morning before injecting its 160-170 , then again in the pm it 170-180.

He’s wanting to get back into bodybuilding but asked if I had any idea how to figure a diet out with his diabetes.

I would think that you would want as low carb as possible to hopefully help lower the BG and ultimately reduce the insulin needed.

For any of you that are diabetic or know anything about it and how to work around or with it I’d sure like hear it

I know this is an older post. Was your friend diagnosed as type 1 diabetic?

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws