advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Any help With Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training? (Bjj)

While I'm sure he thanks everybody for this open discussion on kicking ass... :banghead:

Did anybody realize he didn't ask for opinions on Krav Maga and who's ghetto is cooler?

I've been doing BJJ since 2009. I go between 2 and 6 times per week in addition to my bodybuilding training. I have national level size in bodybuilding and I've competed in some small grappling tournaments for fun.
Here's what I've learned...

1) You need cardio, and then some more cardio.

2) You don't need to change your training style to some magic BJJ routine. Are you strong? Great. Do you want to stay the same size? If so, condition your body to adapt to the 5-10 minute rolling sessions. If you can roll for 30-60 minutes non-stop, your cardio is fine.

3) Flexibility is natural to me, so I do no stretching. If this is NOT natural to you, you NEED to start stretching. You'll never have a good guard game OR a balanced top game if you aren't flexible.

4) If you work your guard for months on end, you won't have to directly work your core as much. The more time I spend on my back, the easier it gets to hip bump, scissor sweep, armbar from guard, etc.

5) Roll with smaller guys as much as you can. It will develop your speed. You WON'T be faster than them, but training with them will help you keep up. If you go up against a guy your size, you quickly realize how fast you drilled yourself to become.

6) Roll with weaker guys. NEVER use your strength. Why? When somebody intelligent realizes you're sloppy, they'll cook you to death (work you till you fatigue, and slap on a triangle with their technique)... Or you'll be off technique wise and either A) get caught... or B) You'll have a sub, dominant position, and wonder "How the hell!?" did this little guy escape so easily?

BJJ is my favorite real sport now. I love bodybuilding, but this is what I'll go to after I'm done competing. Also, I've bounced for 7 straight years, almost every single week. There is nothing like BJJ in terms of controlling a fight. If you want to be a striker, you'll wind up in court for breaking a jaw. If you wind up in a situation with more than one person, you should probably just give them your wallet or rethink life a little.

Was never a great jj guy, but my buddies who all still compete or competed in bjj had 1 thing that I could rememebr that was in common- grip strength... They all have grips like vices... I would make ur grip as strong as possible... Fat bars, door hold exercises, hand grabbing n turning in a bucket of rice grains, mechanical grip strengheners... All that shit

Lotta good points by dave too.. Only thing I mite add is- compete against people better than you as much as possible... The guy that taps you over n over and dominates you, that's the guy I would choose for my sparring partner... Not the guy I can I kno I can look good against for coach...

Last edited:
Best Bjj advice----just relax, breathe--- don't be a tight, tense, spazzy new guy. Just be "like water". Relax.

Was never a great jj guy, but my buddies who all still compete or competed in bjj had 1 thing that I could rememebr that was in common- grip strength... They all have grips like vices... I would make ur grip as strong as possible... Fat bars, door hold exercises, hand grabbing n turning in a bucket of rice grains, mechanical grip strengheners... All that shit

Lotta good points by dave too.. Only thing I mite add is- compete against people better than you as much as possible... The guy that taps you over n over and dominates you, that's the guy I would choose for my sparring partner... Not the guy I can I kno I can look good against for coach...

MAJOR advice above. Train above your rank. Our school is easily one of the most respected pure BJJ school in the area. Why? We don't run it like a business. We have a tiny place in a tiny strip mall. Our instructor has a legitimate business that he makes a living off of (non BJJ) and doesn't give a SHIT if you join. We're the cheapest place, and it's month to month. My point?

Everybody there is better than me except for a few because we don't NEED new people. We have more blue belts than white belts. Most of our purple belts would EASSSSSSILY be brown belts at other schools. I have to roll with these savages regularly and I look SILLY. Every time I screw up and get caught, or have a bad match, I ask what I did wrong.

When you learn in beginner's classes, it's hard because your partner might be practicing incorrectly. Your instructor might have a large class and you might not drill everything perfectly until he sees you. When a guy two ranks above you is drilling with you, it's time to work.

AHHHHHHH. I love this sport. :)

A few videos from Feb.

I'm a blue belt now! WOOOO! Going to compete as one this summer.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ8_6n73AZE]Armbar - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS8Pnl-b8Nc]Armbar gi - YouTube[/ame]

When 80% of the people at your school kill you, this is what happens when you compete at your level. Hahaha.

Did anybody realize he didn't ask for opinions on Krav Maga and who's ghetto is cooler?

and didn't you realize he didn;t ask about your whole bbj career or to see videos of yourself:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
knarf447
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner