YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Any of you guys had a spinal fusion l4 l5 s1 ?

heavyb

Registered
I am looking at having one done. Could you come back to lifting or is it ? I haven't lifted heavy in the past year due to my back issues. I really want to get back at it and some normal.

The more forces that go through any area the greater the area will degenerate. With a fusion, the discs above and below degenerate quicker as they make up the force absorption of the fused disc.

The stronger and greater endurance your core has the more protection your spine will have.

If you go back to lifting "like normal" your spine will probably end up in a similar result as it had in the past. Focus on core work as your priority and "lifting weights" as a secondary goal and you will maximize how much you can do without sacrificing your spine health.

Find a gym with a real reverse hyper. I've had L4/L5 issues for years and adding these in, supersetted with lower ab work has made a big difference. Also improving you thoracic and hip mobility will keep you from dumping into the low back when you lift. It drives me nuts when people have surgery without first addressing the mobility issues that caused the problem in the first place.

Last edited:
I agree with above. Good points with the exercises. And, don't just jump into surgery without fully exhausting other options.

My back issues came from car wreaks atv and football. I also did myself in with squats and deadlifts.
I wish surgery wasn't what I was looking. My MRI is wreak really. I have do prolotherapy it helped but I was having to go weekly. I have also went the acupuncture route with cupping. I have GHD in my home gym and done some reverse hyper on it not the same as having the full machine most gyms in my area don't have it or ghd.

If you guys have some ideas for lower ab or low back work let me know. I have been doing vacuum stomach for years and it seems to help when I cant move.

I am looking at having one done. Could you come back to lifting or is it ? I haven't lifted heavy in the past year due to my back issues. I really want to get back at it and some normal.

the docs say after a year your fusion should be fully or close to fully fused and can lift with no restrictions. i’m about 5 months in from my last fusion (S1 to T11) and work out daily. you can do light weights high reps but also try not doing any exercises that puts too much pressure on your spine for the first year.

I have after my artificial disc replacement failed. Lifting again should be no problem whatsoever. Just don't return to lifting before the area is fully fused.

the docs say after a year your fusion should be fully or close to fully fused and can lift with no restrictions. i’m about 5 months in from my last fusion (S1 to T11) and work out daily. you can do light weights high reps but also try not doing any exercises that puts too much pressure on your spine for the first year.

S1 to T11, scoliosis?

S1 to T11, scoliosis?

no, had a failed fusion and a degenerative spine. that was my 5th and hopefully last back surgery. this last one they had to go high up my spine because where they stopped last time the vertebra just above the fusion broke loose. my spine was collapsing forward so they had to pull it back and go up high enough to make sure I wouldn’t have another loose vertebrae.

IMG_4936.jpg

IMG_6524.jpg

IMG_6525.jpg

no, had a failed fusion and a degenerative spine. that was my 5th and hopefully last back surgery. this last one they had to go high up my spine because where they stopped last time the vertebra just above the fusion broke loose. my spine was collapsing forward so they had to pull it back and go up high enough to make sure I wouldn’t have another loose vertebrae.

View attachment 99104

View attachment 99102

View attachment 99103

Damn bro, that's some serious bad luck. Congrats on still training though, not that evident with your amount of levels fused.

Thanks guys you give me hope. That I can come back and not have to sit around and be in pain.

I have L4 through s1 fused...December will be 4 years. The recovery wasn't fun but I had no low back pain after that. Once I recovered, I could touch my toes if I wanted but I don't because I try to put as little stress on it as possible. L2-3 and L3-4 were compromised, both torn. The surgeon was on the fence about fusing L3-4 at the time. Just recently I had an issue with both of those levels, both herniated. I just had an transforaminal epidural on both last Wednesday.

Once you start the fusion process, it's roughly 10 to 12 years before you need the next level or two fused but for me, it's better than living in pain.

Swiper's pictures always amaze me. He has 16 screws in his low back...double what I have...I thought 8 was a lot! LOL!!

Best of luck with everything!

It amazing to me that Ronnie went straight to the gym right after his spine surgeries. He did break a screw or two doing this. It makes me wonder how much narcotic a he is on.

I have 5 fusions and a lot of other injuries from falling off a roof. How are you dealing with the pain. What kind of training are you doing? after 11 mos. and 2 surgeries I`m kinda starting to come around and doing some light training.

Attachments

• X T SPINE 2 V 0001 (1).jpg
    X T SPINE 2 V 0001 (1).jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 28
  • X T SPINE 2 V 0002 (1).jpg
    X T SPINE 2 V 0002 (1).jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 25
I have 5 fusions and a lot of other injuries from falling off a roof. How are you dealing with the pain. What kind of training are you doing? after 11 mos. and 2 surgeries I`m kinda starting to come around and doing some light training.

I just train like I normally would but I do avoid squats and deadlifts because they put too much vertical load on my spine. My orthopaedic surgeon told me to avoid those 2.

Swiper that is the most hardware I've ever seen in a single person...and I've worked with neuro & orthopedic surgical patients for the better part of 15 years. I've seen all matter of XLIF, TLIF, PLIF screws rods and cages but what your neuro surgeon did is medical art!
The work done on you must be in a ton of medical journals.

All I can say heavyb is if your L4-S1 is as bad as you say just get it done. You might want to ask Swiper who his surgeon is though:)

Last edited:
I had my L4-L5 fused. L5-S1 is still collapsed along with a few herniated disc along with some other stuff.. Was back in the gym doing arms and other light work after 10 daysand no pain meds by then either. The procedure I had done cut through very little muscle. I didn't find the pain to be to bad myself.

Last edited:
Swiper that is the most hardware I've ever seen in a single person...and I've worked with neuro & orthopedic surgical patients for the better part of 15 years. I've seen all matter of XLIF, TLIF, PLIF screws rods and cages but what your neuro surgeon did is medical art!
The work done on you must be in a ton of medical journals.

All I can say heavyb is if your L4-S1 is as bad as you say just get it done. You might want to ask Swiper who his surgeon is though:)

yes he’s a great doc. was in hospital for about 3.5 days and was off pain meds the day i came home. my doc is my age, late 30’s. it was the least pain i’ve had post surgery out of all 5. it was the most fusions ive had in a single surgery too. he definitely does amazing work. it was my 4th back doc too.

have disc bulges at L-3-L-4, L4-L5, and L-5-S1. A nerve is being pressed on on each side. Right now in agony and have weakness in left leg, walking is quite difficult at the moment and very painful. Standing is very painful. Lying down seems to be the only thing not so uncomfortable. Have to sleep on right hip b/c of the pain. Pain meds aren't helping.

If i were to get a discectomy do you think i would be able to lift hard (maybe heavy) ever again? Would i be able to wrestle (freestyle, not competitively) again? Would a spinal fusion allow me to do those things again? I know fusion is the last option but i'm wondering what i'm in for.

Background: 36 years old. Pretty active (bike and walk alot, was wrestling twice a week, boxing once per week, lifting 3-4 days. Hurt my back in 2009 on a lever squat machine. Not a day goes by that i don't wish i could go back in time and not do what i did that day in the gym.

have disc bulges at L-3-L-4, L4-L5, and L-5-S1. A nerve is being pressed on on each side. Right now in agony and have weakness in left leg, walking is quite difficult at the moment and very painful. Standing is very painful. Lying down seems to be the only thing not so uncomfortable. Have to sleep on right hip b/c of the pain. Pain meds aren't helping.

If i were to get a discectomy do you think i would be able to lift hard (maybe heavy) ever again? Would i be able to wrestle (freestyle, not competitively) again? Would a spinal fusion allow me to do those things again? I know fusion is the last option but i'm wondering what i'm in for.

Background: 36 years old. Pretty active (bike and walk alot, was wrestling twice a week, boxing once per week, lifting 3-4 days. Hurt my back in 2009 on a lever squat machine. Not a day goes by that i don't wish i could go back in time and not do what i did that day in the gym.

i know exactly what kind of pain you’re experiencing. be carful. that amount of pain for long periods of time can take a mental toll on you. especially being so active like you were. i’ve been there, it’s a dark place no one want to be in.

I’ve waited too long to get one of my surgeries. some of my nerves still have not come back online and most likely will not. I lost most of my muscles in my legs because of that. mainly my left leg. don’t wait too long to get something done. it can ruin your nerves for good.

if i were you i’d never lift heavy again after your surgery. it’s not worth the risk. you can still get fairly big with lighter weights and some gear. i learned light weights with a lot of reps, good form can build a decent amount of muscle. maximizing blood flow to the muscle is the trick, imo

i don’t know what’s best for your situation, fusion or getting your discs chopped off. i’d get a couple opinions from the best docs on your area.

wish you all the best

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity