YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

any of you had to take a lot of time off?

saint808

Registered
injuries that just kept you out of the gym for 6 months to a year? How did you cope?

oh man

I am currently in this dillemma. I just started pumping iron again, but very cautiously. Had ACL reconstruction, plus my left shoulder's AC joint is trashed. I am all broken. IT gets depressing, you lose size, appetite, etc... But that life :eek:

been off for six months knee surgery. Was off for 3 yrs about 8 yrs ago I was very ill with lyme disease. That was depressing I had hard time coping. Just started back with mixed martial arts ,but think I m going to have to stop if I want to keep lifting. My body can heal quick enough from it to lift and my knees end up being so sore all the time.

one year due to rotator injury. sucked. started back very slowly; benching the bar hurt because i lost so much flexibility.

BigBoyJ said:
Sawing my hand off made me take two years off from working out. I coped by getting skinny and flabby.:( Once my hand was finally strong enough to start holding anything again without feeling like I was going to tear it off, I started lifting again. It took a long damn time for it to work right again, but it's as strong as it ever was now. It just doesn't look real pretty.:p

OMG! How the hell did you do that?

I had a boxer fracture to my rt. hand, I have pins in it now. Was out for 3 months. Tore my PCL lt. knee, out for 6 months, atleast the wheels. Damn talk about Fat Hungry:eek: .

saint808 said:
injuries that just kept you out of the gym for 6 months to a year? How did you cope?

I had an injury which kept me out of the gym for about 12 months total. How did I cope? well, after passing my training "addiction" I concentrated on one thing I didn't have before: MY LIFE. Everything was about training, after the injury it changed. You live and learn I guess:star-wars :D

AG
www.ag-guys.com

I need surgery on my wrist because I finally found out I had a torn tendon after seeing an orthopedist. MY foot is fractured and it actually hurts just to walk. I have a very noticable limp and it doesn't seem to be getting any better (that was a nasty fall, broke 3 toes and landed directly on my ACL which was freakish and prolly wouldn't have happened if i tried). I am down to 200lbs only good thing is my waist is completely shrinking as well. I am at that point where I think If i could start back soon I would be happy with a smaller tighter look, but in 6 more months I am not sure how it's going to look. I just want to work out to look decent I have no more aspirations of bodybuilding I just want to look and feel healthy again.

saint808 said:

For the past year or so I have taken significant time off from the gym due to a variety of reasons. It is the first real break I have given myself in 10 years or so. It was a much needed break and allowed me to concentrate on other aspects of my life.

I am finally getting back into the gym on a very regular basis and it feels great. I am pretty lean naturally and only lost 10-15 pounds as I always keep my diet in check. But, I will admit the first month back is hell, but it gets better. Luckily, I am injury free (knocks on wood) and am snapping back pretty well.

BigBoyJ said:
I used to do construction for a living. I got a little carried away with a circular saw. I also had the guard tied back. It's a weird feeling to have your bones splatter on your face like saw dust. I still get flash backs of that. Anyway, that's why I USED TO do construction for a living.

I didnt cut my hand like you,but i know how it feel,i lost 2 Finger(Right hand) with a Bench saw when i was 16 year old.I wish i could have control what happened but i was young and just trying to help.Now im 21 and i think ive learn to deal with it.:(

How do you workout without your hand?Do you use an otherpedic prosthesis?

Last edited:
Damn BBJ

You remind me of that old joke "missing: 3 legged dog, blind in one eye, tail broken off, no teeth, answers to............Lucky.

take it easy out there bro!

Tom

I cut the tendon in the little finger and it pussed me for 6 months. I just forgot all about lifting and got back into it when I was healed. You don't want to rush it and fuck it up worse. Lifting for the long haul is what we lift for.

BigBoyJ said:
Sawing my hand off made me take two years off from working out.

hahahahaha... i remember when you and Meatball just into words and he brought that up.. hahahaha... you guys were about to kill eachother... everytime i see a tablesaw, i always wonder how in the hell you still manage to train... thats amazing shit bro.... if i sawed my hand off i'd go ahead and amputate my head

how's the mobility and dexterity :confused:

phreak said:
one year due to rotator injury. sucked. started back very slowly; benching the bar hurt because i lost so much flexibility.

yes, just got fat :)

I've had 12 months off Saint, but I wasn't injured per se. In fact, I wasn't feeling very good for the whole 12 months off (many reasons why, which bar do you start at?!) and feeling a lot better crawling through workouts now.

I think probably the best thing is to not focus too much on your physique. you're gonna lose some - it's gonna happen - and you can get it back, quicker than you think after a lay off.

Try stuff you can do and which might not have been your top pick for intense exercise before - maybe casual walks or bike rides, swimming, just stuff that's actually fun, won't hurt you and gets you some fresh air.

and hang in there, you'll be back in no time! IronMike

Hi Bro,

I couldn't train for 3 years due to reconstructive surgery on my right shoulder.
Just kept my diet in check, did some cardio and generally tried to 'keep fit' by doing non weight related excercise and that seemed to work fine.
I guess I'm fortunate that I did not loose very much weight or size, probably 8 pounds max and I put this down to the fact I think I completely maxed out my natural potential before taking any gear so I had a really solid base and used Mike mentzer's Heavy Duty/ HIT principles from day 1 of my training.

Anyway, I hope it works out for you Bro,

Best

C nj

Saint

Its very easy you don't have a choice.
BBJ..hope you r doing alright...sounds familar
1) cut off rt thumb (when I USED to work construction) was sucessful reattached...not from saw though..fell backwards on to metal track
2)broke ankle 3 places...have 2 pins 1 plate 6 screws (sandlot football)
3)broke hand 3x fighting (since use open palm slap)
4)broke ribs on leg press?
5)home now recovering from brain surgery...Dr says I should find new sport..after my brother tells him about me training like a animal...for 8 weeks I can't pick up anything over 5 lbs. a gallon of milk weighs more than that.Then nothing over 40 lbs. until further notice..going to be about a year before I can start in gym

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear