YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Any of you switched to slower, more controlled workouts?

BoredStiff

Registered
So I'd say the majority of the 20 or so years I've been doing this I've been a very low rep, heavy-ish weight guy, 6-8 reps has been pretty typical. I have enough injuries, mainly lower back and shoulders, that this seems to be becoming more of a hinderance to my overall quality of life.

I've tried switching to 8-12 reps, much, much slower and controlled movements and... I mean, I can go slow enough that I can cut the weight in half or more and hit failure but, and it might all be in my head, it just doesn't feel like a workout. I equate weight lifting to very aggressive, almost explosive, movements.... it's just more fun. I get kind of bored doing the contraction type training.

Just wondering if anyone has found it effective though. Realistically, I don't think I can keep going really heavy/low-rep for that much longer but I still want a challenging workout and with this style of training, sometimes I don't feel like I'm really doing much.... something about lifting heavy keeps you very engages from the first rep, with this slower paced style I find my mind wandering a lot until the last few reps when things really start to burn.

Once I got into my 50's training low rep and heavy became less likely to happen. Training higher reps is not as fun and challenging and engaging for me. But the reality is that going heavy will just mean things being destroyed even sooner. As for slow I can't say I do that. I stay controlled know. But I don't do slow negatives with weights that I can do for higher reps as I don't see much reason for that although others will have differing opinions. But I try to make sure the muscles are under tension from the weight through the whole range of motion. And I know make having a good workout the challenge as opposed to making moving heavy weights be the challenge.

Good point, I have to try higher reps too and see how I like that. I started out OLY lifting, then mostly did a lot of MAX-OT, very low rep, heavy training, with a few years of DC style training, it's basically been either explosive or pretty heavy/intensity based..... so i'm just finding it really hard to engage my mind in a more volume/contraction based approach, almost feels like I'm just going through the motions.

I wonder if it's a nervous system issue too. After training the way I normally train, short and intense, a lot of times I need a nap, that's how thrashed I am.... training this other way, my muscles burn for sure, but I don't really feel like I trained... if that makes any sense.

Im experimenting right now with 4 count negatives and 1 second pauses at the bottom on my back off sets. Had to do something similar during quarantine to make resistance bands work. Interested to see how it goes. Never tried pauses before and i never counted negatives just made sure to have it controlled.

Speed and tempo lifting is highly valuable but it's important to pick the right load. For tempo lifts going light is counter productive for speed it's counter productive to go heavy.

Slower temp and lighter weight abs you should feel sore. At least I did the next day or two with a slow tempo.

My rule of thumb is that if you can't control the weight, by that I mean stop and 'hold'
the weight either in the eccentric or concentric portion of the movement, you are using
too much weight. I don't think of speed of movement, only the ability to control the
weight instead of it controlling you (injury).

My rule of thumb is that if you can't control the weight, by that I mean stop and 'hold'
the weight either in the eccentric or concentric portion of the movement, you are using
too much weight. I don't think of speed of movement, only the ability to control the
weight instead of it controlling you (injury).
I agree 100% ! Exactly what I was going to say. You should be able to pause at any point during the movement for a count of 3 to 5 and then continue moving the weight.

Most of my lifts anymore are done with slow, controlled movement. I do a lot of drop sets & supersets too. Maybe you could do every set like that with ds or ss to keep the intensity up & keep you motivated. Just a thought.

keep constant tension, do a painful slow controled 4-6 second negative, pause but with tension on the muscle and explode but never lock out and be in control. pause, but never locked out and with constant tension. do that 20 times.....

you have to make it brutal.
dont take breaks or long rest, nothing more then 60 seconds.
also learn to breath and all that...
;)

It's the only way I've ever gotten results. I move quickly on the positive and a slower, controlled negative. I don't count seconds or anything like that, and I'm really not so sure there's much benefit to super slow (remember that?) negatives, just enough to concentrate on getting a nice stretch and keep tension. Then it's rest pause, partials, forced reps and statics.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws