over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Any one have Hip Replacement surgery

Firemike36

Newbies
My wife has had some issues with pain in her hip and recently went to the doc and he said she would need to get a hip replacement eventually. She is a WPD competitor and wants to do Master's Nationals next year. Im wondering if any of you have had the surgery and how it has impacted your training after the recovery period. Training legs especially. She is of the mindset to wait on the surgery until she is done competing if she can stand the pain that long.

I know a guy at my gym a while ago that was an avid runner, he had a hip replacement and was back in no time running marathons again.

2 years ago, I repaired a torn quad tendon, at the same time, my 70 year old neighbor had a knee replacement done. She was back walking nicely before I was off my crutches.
Unless she trains with real heavy weights, I don't see a problem. I need new knee sooner than later(I was told), but my feeling is, if I can deal with it, I will wait.

3 Hip Replacements

Aloha Firemike,

First hip replacement (lt.) in 97. Had to have a revision (redo) to the same hip in 2010. I developed osteolysis, had to have extensive bone grafting done. I was training like I used to after I recovered from the 97 procedure. Way to heavy and too much frequency. I learned my lesson...

Rt. hip in 2013.

Your wife could try Prolotherapy, or PRP therapy (Plasma Rich Platelet) injections, coupled with Ozone. It has worked really well for my knees and shoulders. It also extended the life of my rt. hip too.

As her hip continues to deteriorate it will create compensations throughout her kinetic chain.

Also, she would help minimize the damage by doing Deep Water Running, Advanced Rolfing-a form of structural reintegration will be beneficial, MAT, ZHealth, Feldenkrais, anti-inflammatory foods, as well as other 'holistic methods'. Standard PT is very limited and generic.

If you have questions, pm me and I will go into more detail.

BTW, I have done all my rehab myself. I can't, nor do I need to go heavy anymore (64 yrs old). Professionally, I work as a 'Holistic Health-Fitness-Sports Performance Coach.

In Health,
V

Last edited:
It will impact her training for sure. Id wait as long as she can and do intra-articulat injections with steroids until they no longer work for the pain.

Ed Coan had both his replaced. But now he doesn't train as heavy. I saw a post he made that he was squating 650 but doesn't use a sqaut suit and such as he doesn't want to put to much pressure on his hips.

My Father

My father had his done about 1 year ago. He was 80 years old though. Just thought I would mention that the surgery has come a long way now. They have a newer way of doing it now where they go through the side rather than the rear, they don't have to cut any muscle that way if I have that right. He was only in the hospital overnight and then back home the next day, just a little over 24 hours after surgery. Amazing. He is walking great now.

If she waits too long to do the surgery it can get really bad. My mother in law waited too long and the head of her femur ended up sotra just disintegrating and she was left stuck on the toilet unable to get up. Terrible stuff. Bone on bone wearing down the bone.

Last edited:
My father had his done about 1 year ago. He was 80 years old though. Just thought I would mention that the surgery has come a long way now. They have a newer way of doing it now where they go through the side rather than the rear, they don't have to cut any muscle that way if I have that right. He was only in the hospital overnight and then back home the next day, just a little over 24 hours after surgery. Amazing. He is walking great now.

If she waits too long to do the surgery it can get really bad. My mother in law waited too long and the head of her femur ended up sotra just disintegrating and she was left stuck on the toilet unable to get up. Terrible stuff. Bone on bone wearing down the bone.

In reference to waiting too long. Believe me. This is one surgery you don't want to put off. This was my mistake and payed the ultimate price. Surgeon scheduled four replacements including me that day. Three other guys were 70's early eighties. They were up and out the door the next day. Because I waited too long was bed riddin for 5 days wasn't able to walk without crutches for 6 weeks and rehap was extremely painful. And the fact that I waited causing more damage the chances of dislocation is much greater.
Mine was done threw the side. Some surgeons go threw the front as well.

Last edited:
In reference to waiting too long. Believe me. This is one surgery you don't want to put off. This was my mistake and payed the ultimate price. Surgeon scheduled four replacements including me that day. Three other guys were 70's early eighties. They were up and out the door the next day. Because I waited too long was bed riddin for 5 days wasn't able to walk without crutches for 6 weeks and rehap was extremely painful. And the fact that I waited causing more damage the chances of dislocation is much greater.
Mine was done threw the side. Some surgeons go threw the front as well.

Yeah, my father's I think was more or less the front side. He was out in a day. My mother in law that waited so long has a much harder time of rehab. She was in the hospital for 5 days.

Im with you, don't wait. Be proactive and get it fixed before the damage gets worse because it isn't a matter of if but when. Being young will help too because you heal faster.

I appreciate all of the feedback guys. She's s trooper when it comes to pain but sometimes that can work to your disadvantage because you are just making things worse. I think bone spurs and just joint deterioration is the culprit in her case. I did see a flier for the PRP injections at the Spine treatment center I go to, as far as I know I dont believe that is covered by most insurance plans? Thanks again bros....much appreciated!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131